Clicking from front wheel ...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Elyob, May 2, 2003.

  1. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    I'm getting a clicking from my front wheel ... I can't figure it out. I's pretty regular, and has at
    some times stopped. It's more regular now.

    I'm thinking it's one of two things ...
    a/ over tensioned spokes? Don't think so, as I haven't messed with them for a while
    b/ bearings .. I've never changed these .. are they easy?

    Nick

    --
    ___________________________________
    www.local-hotel.com www.local-pub.com www.local-restaurant.com

    www.local-serve.com

    Tags:

  2. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm getting a clicking from my front wheel ... I can't figure it out. I's pretty regular, and has
    > at some times stopped. It's more regular now.
    >
    > I'm thinking it's one of two things ...
    > a/ over tensioned spokes? Don't think so, as I haven't messed with them
    for
    > a while
    > b/ bearings .. I've never changed these .. are they easy?

    I forgot to add .. it doesn't click when I spin the wheel by hand. Just when I'm on it, bith whilst
    peddaling and free-wheeling.

  3. "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm getting a clicking from my front wheel ... I can't figure it out. I's pretty regular, and has
    > at some times stopped. It's more regular now.
    >
    > I'm thinking it's one of two things ...
    > a/ over tensioned spokes? Don't think so, as I haven't messed with them
    for
    > a while
    > b/ bearings .. I've never changed these .. are they easy?
    >
    > Nick
    Is it an irregular click? If so see if it stops when you ride out of the saddle. I had this and it
    was cured by cleaning the saddle rails and refitting with some anti-seize grease.

    Ken.

  4. Doug

    Doug Guest

    Is it the head bearing?

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm getting a clicking from my front wheel ... I can't figure it out. I's pretty regular, and has
    > at some times stopped. It's more regular now.
    >
    > I'm thinking it's one of two things ...
    > a/ over tensioned spokes? Don't think so, as I haven't messed with them
    for
    > a while
    > b/ bearings .. I've never changed these .. are they easy?
    >
    > Nick
    >
    > --
    > ___________________________________
    > www.local-hotel.com www.local-pub.com www.local-restaurant.com
    >
    > www.local-serve.com

  5. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, elyob <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I forgot to add .. it doesn't click when I spin the wheel by hand. Just when I'm on it, bith
    > whilst peddaling and free-wheeling.

    Your speedo sensor and magnet are touching? Slight frame distortion when you are on the bike.

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

  6. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    elyob wrote:
    > I'm getting a clicking from my front wheel ... I can't figure it out.

    What make & model is the rim? Mavic Open Pro (and similar) is known for certain noises.

    Are brake pads very close to rim. Brakes rubbing against rim joint or any little buckle can make a
    clicking noise. May only notice this on the bike because of various things flexing.

    > It's pretty regular, and has at some times stopped. It's more regular now.

    When it does occur, do you hear one noise per wheel revolution? Or more, or is it random, or in time
    with anything else?

    > I'm thinking it's one of two things ...
    > a/ over tensioned spokes? Don't think so, as I haven't messed with them for a while

    I don't think so either. Could try a drop of oil on each point where the spokes cross over and into
    each spoke eyelet. Mop up excess and degrease rim afterwards if necessary.

    > b/ bearings .. I've never changed these .. are they easy?

    Not necessarily very easy to service - depends on hub model. Grit might have got in, or dustcap
    may be damaged or wonky, but hubs tend to make more of an irregular noise if something's wrong
    with them.

    Check computer first if got one.

    ~PB

  7. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm getting a clicking from my front wheel ... I can't figure it out. I's pretty regular, and
    > > has at some times stopped. It's more regular now.
    > >
    > > I'm thinking it's one of two things ...
    > > a/ over tensioned spokes? Don't think so, as I haven't messed with them
    > for
    > > a while
    > > b/ bearings .. I've never changed these .. are they easy?
    > >

    > I forgot to add .. it doesn't click when I spin the wheel by hand. Just when I'm on it, bith
    > whilst peddaling and free-wheeling.

    I had this a few months ago. It's your spokes rubbing together. Try adjusting the tension, but be
    careful not to untrue the wheel. Simon

  8. Will Plummer

    Will Plummer Guest

    Had exactly this problem recently - again only when on the bike and freewheeling or pedalling.

    Checked bearings, frame, computer etc. but eventually found a loose spoke that had a small U shaped
    depression worn into it at the cross over with an adjacent spoke. (the wheel is about 10 yrs old)

    The click was the adjacent spoke snapping into the groove once per revolution as weight tranferred
    onto the loose one

    A new spoke has solved the problem.

  9. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:
    > I had this a few months ago. It's your spokes rubbing together. Try adjusting the tension, but be
    > careful not to untrue the wheel.

    What do you mean by adjusting? Loosening for reasons of noise is a bad idea.

    ~PB

  10. [email protected] schreef ...

    > Had exactly this problem recently - again only when on the bike and freewheeling or pedalling.
    >
    > Checked bearings, frame, computer etc. but eventually found a loose spoke that had a small U
    > shaped depression worn into it at the cross over with an adjacent spoke. (the wheel is about 10
    > yrs old)
    >
    > The click was the adjacent spoke snapping into the groove once per revolution as weight tranferred
    > onto the loose one
    >
    > A new spoke has solved the problem.

    It can also be the spoke heads that are moving a slight bit in the rim. We had this on a Burley
    tandem with properly tensioned spokes (this has been checked at least twice!). Removing the rim tape
    and putting a bit of oil in each spoke hole silenced the wheel for about 4-5 months. After that this
    had to be repeated.

    --
    Regards, Marten

  11. Mike Fleming

    Mike Fleming Guest

    it may be stating the obvious but have you checked to ensure there are no small animals wedged in
    the spokes and rubbing against the forks? "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm getting a clicking from my front wheel ... I can't figure it out. I's pretty regular, and has
    > at some times stopped. It's more regular now.
    >
    > I'm thinking it's one of two things ...
    > a/ over tensioned spokes? Don't think so, as I haven't messed with them
    for
    > a while
    > b/ bearings .. I've never changed these .. are they easy?
    >
    > Nick
    >
    > --
    > ___________________________________
    > www.local-hotel.com www.local-pub.com www.local-restaurant.com
    >
    > www.local-serve.com

  12. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    > Simon Mason wrote:
    > > I had this a few months ago. It's your spokes rubbing together. Try adjusting the tension, but
    > > be careful not to untrue the wheel.
    >
    > What do you mean by adjusting? Loosening for reasons of noise is a bad idea.
    >
    > ~PB

    Adjusting them so they are the same tension, mine weren't. Simon

  13. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], elyob <[email protected]> typed:
    > I'm getting a clicking from my front wheel ... I can't figure it out. I's pretty regular, and has
    > at some times stopped. It's more regular now.
    >
    > I'm thinking it's one of two things ...
    > a/ over tensioned spokes? Don't think so, as I haven't messed with them for a while
    > b/ bearings .. I've never changed these .. are they easy?

    Try shooting some grease into the hub bearings. I had clicking I could feel through the handebars
    once on a long tour (after a long night of rain) and was convinced I had a broken ball in the front
    bearings. Turned out to be the grease had been largely washed out and it was the balls rubbing
    against each other and the races without lubrication.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com