Clicking Into Criterium Pedals

I finally got some original Time shoes and cleats to match my Time
Criterium cleats on my retro bike. There are some powerful springs
holding you onto these. Does anyone who used to ride these remember the
easiest way to clip into them? Do you swing in the toe clip first and
then stomp down, or some other easier way? Thanks.

[email protected] wrote in news:1146690857.684642.278650
@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I finally got some original Time shoes and cleats to match my Time
> Criterium cleats on my retro bike. There are some powerful springs
> holding you onto these. Does anyone who used to ride these remember the
> easiest way to clip into them? Do you swing in the toe clip first and
> then stomp down, or some other easier way? Thanks.

That's exactly it - hook the front, then push down on the spring. I didn't
find it too hard, but YMMV.

I had a set of those many moons ago, and while they weren't as easy to get
into as Looks, they were a far sight better than the SR/Sampsons I had
before the Times.

[email protected] wrote:
> I finally got some original Time shoes and cleats to match my Time
> Criterium cleats on my retro bike. There are some powerful springs
> holding you onto these. Does anyone who used to ride these remember the
> easiest way to clip into them? Do you swing in the toe clip first and
> then stomp down, or some other easier way? Thanks.

That's it, toe in, heel down. Some spray armor-all or Pledge onto the
cleats may help-be careful, get slippery to walk in!!

[email protected] wrote:
> I finally got some original Time shoes and cleats to match my Time
> Criterium cleats on my retro bike.

When you say original do you really mean the original Time brass cleats
or the new easier to clip into version that came out in the mid 1990s?
The new version is easier to clip into than the original. The new
version has both front corners of the rear brass cleat cut off. While
the original rear brass cleat has only one of the front corners clipped
off. Get the new brass cleat if you have the original.

There are some powerful springs
> holding you onto these.

Yep. Security. Never have to worry about clipping out in a sprint
unexpectedly. What a road pedal should be like.

Does anyone who used to ride these remember the
> easiest way to clip into them?

Used to ride? Some of us do not change pedals when the latest and
greatest comes out every year. Some of us recall Greg in 1989 and
1990, Miguel in 1991-1995, Jan in 1997, Marco in 1998 winning Le Tour
on these Time pedals. They are proven performers.

Do you swing in the toe clip first and
> then stomp down, or some other easier way?

I kind of put the toe in first, not really swing. Then instead of
stomping, which could cause the foot to come off the pedal if the toe
is not in, I sort of push down under control. No out of control
stomping. And soemtimes I have to wiggle the foot around to get the
brass cleat to go in. The new brass rear cleat with both front corners
clipped makes this much easier than the original brass cleat.

Thanks.

[email protected] wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > I finally got some original Time shoes and cleats to match my Time
> > Criterium cleats on my retro bike.

> When you say original do you really mean the original Time brass cleats
> or the new easier to clip into version that came out in the mid 1990s?
> The new version is easier to clip into than the original. The new
> version has both front corners of the rear brass cleat cut off. While
> the original rear brass cleat has only one of the front corners clipped
> off. Get the new brass cleat if you have the original.
>

> There are some powerful springs
> > holding you onto these.

> Yep. Security. Never have to worry about clipping out in a sprint
> unexpectedly. What a road pedal should be like.
>
> Does anyone who used to ride these remember the
> > easiest way to clip into them?

> Used to ride? Some of us do not change pedals when the latest and
> greatest comes out every year. Some of us recall Greg in 1989 and
> 1990, Miguel in 1991-1995, Jan in 1997, Marco in 1998 winning Le Tour
> on these Time pedals. They are proven performers.
>

> Do you swing in the toe clip first and
> > then stomp down, or some other easier way?

> I kind of put the toe in first, not really swing. Then instead of
> stomping, which could cause the foot to come off the pedal if the toe
> is not in, I sort of push down under control. No out of control
> stomping. And soemtimes I have to wiggle the foot around to get the
> brass cleat to go in. The new brass rear cleat with both front corners
> clipped makes this much easier than the original brass cleat.
>
> Thanks.

Thanks. I must have the old ones, because the rear cleat is only cut at
an angle on one side. I went ahead and gave them a try and they reallyt
weren't that hard to get in and out of (when I wanted to). As you said,
the easiest way to get in seems to be to hook the front cleat in and
then just move the foot down to the rear until you hear them click.
One thing is for sure, you won't come out of these pedals accidentally,
and I like the large platform. Now, if it will quit raining, I will
give them a good workout.

I will try to find a newer pair with the brass cleats for the rear.
just missed a new set on xbay the other day. Mine are aluminum both
front and back.