Clicking Litespeed -- Ahhh!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Sergio SERVADIO, Jun 11, 2004.

  1. Try a different saddle.

    Sergio
    Pisa

    Tags:

  2. On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Rudolf the Red wrote:

    > Tried a different seatpost clamp, seatpost and saddle-- still clicks.

    Ops, sorry!
    I was too quick at that.

    Sergio
    Pisa

  3. My Litespeed Pisgah will not stop clicking/pinging!

    Tried everything --inspected and rebuilt both hubs, tightened cassette,
    checked chain for bad links/protruding links, serviced/tightened pedals and
    cleats, regreased/Ti prep bottom bracket, tightened crankarm bolts/chainring
    bolts, tightened handlebars and stem, serviced headset, tightened loose
    spokes, greased seatpost, greased/tightened water bottle bolts, checked for
    loose rocks or dirt in frame.

    At first I thought it was the bottom bracket, but I have noticed that it
    only clicks while in the saddle -- more so when I move my weight from end to
    end. Furthermore it makes clicking noises when I put weight on the saddle.
    Tried a different seatpost clamp, seatpost and saddle-- still clicks.

    I even checked the frame welds for cracks with no success.

    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

    --Nate

  4. G Huang

    G Huang Guest

    I would take the bike to a LBS that has a roller. If you can reproduce
    the clicking in a quiet indoor setting, it's much easier for a mechanic
    to find the source of the clicking.
    GH

  5. Grease onto the saddle rails, where they are held by the seatpost?

    Oil onto the rails where they enter the saddle?

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  6. daveornee

    daveornee Guest

    Rudolf The Red wrote:
    > My Litespeed Pisgah will not stop clicking/pinging!
    > Tried everything --inspected and rebuilt both hubs, tightened cassette,
    > checked chain for bad links/protruding links, serviced/tightened pedals
    > and cleats, regreased/Ti prep bottom bracket, tightened crankarm
    > bolts/chainring bolts, tightened handlebars and stem, serviced headset,
    > tightened loose spokes, greased seatpost, greased/tightened water bottle
    > bolts, checked for loose rocks or dirt in frame.
    > At first I thought it was the bottom bracket, but I have noticed that it
    > only clicks while in the saddle -- more so when I move my weight from
    > end to end. Furthermore it makes clicking noises when I put weight on
    > the saddle. Tried a different seatpost clamp, seatpost and saddle--
    > still clicks.
    > I even checked the frame welds for cracks with no success.
    > Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    > --Nate

    <http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/creaking_and_squeaking.shtml>

    Apply some grease or anti-sieze compound to the threads, inside the head
    where is interfaces of the seatpost clamping bolt and the clamping
    interface itself. Examine the diameters of the seatpost and inside
    diameter of the seat tube.

    --

  7. WooGoogle

    WooGoogle Guest

    "Rudolf the Red" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > My Litespeed Pisgah will not stop clicking/pinging!
    >
    > Tried everything --inspected and rebuilt both hubs, tightened cassette,
    > checked chain for bad links/protruding links, serviced/tightened pedals and
    > cleats, regreased/Ti prep bottom bracket, tightened crankarm bolts/chainring
    > bolts, tightened handlebars and stem, serviced headset, tightened loose
    > spokes, greased seatpost, greased/tightened water bottle bolts, checked for
    > loose rocks or dirt in frame.
    >
    > At first I thought it was the bottom bracket, but I have noticed that it
    > only clicks while in the saddle -- more so when I move my weight from end to
    > end. Furthermore it makes clicking noises when I put weight on the saddle.
    > Tried a different seatpost clamp, seatpost and saddle-- still clicks.
    >
    > I even checked the frame welds for cracks with no success.
    >
    > Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > --Nate

    Do you have an alternate set of wheels? Just wondering if you could
    do a quick a/b test. I had a problem very similar to yours.
    Eventually a crack turned up in the down tube about five inches away
    from the head tube. IIRC it was not close to a weld point, it may
    have been on the opposite side of a water bottle boss. I inspected it
    a lot of times while it creaked and could not find anything wrong
    until it finally cracked while I rode it to the post office, and
    suddenly my hardtail felt like a slingshot. They replaced the
    downtube and now I use the same bike for cyclocross. The bike is now
    about fourteen years old, except for the downtube, which is about
    seven years old.

  8. speedygg

    speedygg Guest

    It may be coming from your rims. I have Mavic Open Pros that make a
    clicking noise periodically (have been for past 5 years). I apply
    linseed oil to the nipples every couple of months and the noise goes
    away.

    Your mileage may vary...
    -pgg

  9. "Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote
    > Grease onto the saddle rails, where they are held by the seatpost?
    > Oil onto the rails where they enter the saddle?

    5 silent rides! That was it!
    Thank You, I appreciate your help Peter.

    -Nate

  10. rudolf-<< Grease onto the saddle rails, where they are held by the seatpost?
    > Oil onto the rails where they enter the saddle?

    5 silent rides! That was it!
    Thank You, I appreciate your help Peter. >><BR><BR>

    Happy to help-

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.