clicking look pedals?

memphiscyclist

Dec 19, 2003
Has anyone had a problem with look pedals? I just tossed a pair of old ones that were clicking so badly that I could actually feel the vibration in my shoe. I got some new ones that fixed the problem for about a month, but after a few rain encounters, they started up again. Now I am in the same position. Anyone have this problem?

Clicking or creaking? If its more of a creak, like rubbing plastic you need to occasionally lubricate the cleat/pedal interface. Best thing I have found is Pam cooking spray. It comes in flavorless, but I suppose the butter flavored works just as well, though you might smell like popcorn.

eddie22 said:
Clicking or creaking? If its more of a creak, like rubbing plastic you need to occasionally lubricate the cleat/pedal interface. Best thing I have found is Pam cooking spray. It comes in flavorless, but I suppose the butter flavored works just as well, though you might smell like popcorn.
It's not creaking. I know what you are referring to and that is not the problem. There is an inner component that is clicking. It tends to subside after about 30 to 45 minutes, like it is finally warmed up enough.

memphiscyclist said:
It's not creaking. I know what you are referring to and that is not the problem. There is an inner component that is clicking. It tends to subside after about 30 to 45 minutes, like it is finally warmed up enough.

Uh oh. It sounds like a dry bearing. I use Looks. So far, I haven't had a problem. I hope my luck holds up.

gntlmn said:
Uh oh. It sounds like a dry bearing. I use Looks. So far, I haven't had a problem. I hope my luck holds up.
Can pedals be taken apart and lubed? I have had no luck with Look's cutomer service. I don't think they even have one.

memphiscyclist said:
Can pedals be taken apart and lubed? I have had no luck with Look's cutomer service. I don't think they even have one.
\

Try Look's website www.lookcycle.com. I'm pretty sure I got information from someone off a link at the site at one time.

memphiscyclist said:

Look recommends that you take your pedals apart and lube them at least twice a year. The instructions are in the little booklet that comes with the new pedals. If you lost your booklet stop at an LBS and they will probably be willing to open up a box and let you study the booklet and many of them have extras laying around from having installed pedals for people who didn’t want the literature. Or you can pick up a book like L. Zinn’s bike maintenance book and there are diagrams in there for the most common pedal systems, I think I remember seeing the Look diagrams in there.

This one is obvious too, but check to make sure your cleats are on tight.

Good luck.

memphiscyclist said:

I asked the guy at the bike shop, and he told me they are sealed units. You can't open them. I looked carefully, and the only way I figure you could get grease into mine is by completely removing the binding tightener screw. I don't know if that would work though because I don't know if that opens into the area where the bearings are. I might go through the trouble and then put grease into an isolated area.

Of course, my Looks are probably a lot older than yours. They look (pun :D ) different now, quite a bit different.

The way I figure it, I'll just wait for them to wear out and then buy replacements. Hopefully, that won't be for awhile.

memphiscyclist said:
Has anyone had a problem with look pedals? I just tossed a pair of old ones that were clicking so badly that I could actually feel the vibration in my shoe. I got some new ones that fixed the problem for about a month, but after a few rain encounters, they started up again. Now I am in the same position. Anyone have this problem?
i gave up on look pedals recently due to a similar problem..
now i use speedplay and LOVE it!
try it out