"clicking" noise - diagnosis? Worn chainrings and/or chain??

ryanspeer

Jul 19, 2006
I recently purchased a used Ultegra groupo and installed it on a bike I was building up. Took it out for an inaugural 32-mile ride with no issues whatsoever. Took it out for a shorter ride due to time constraints a week later and noticed an odd "click" type of sound that didn't seem to occur at the exact same spot in the crank rotation, but did occur each rotation nonetheless - but only when under power. In other words, if I was pedaling, but not really exerting much if any force the noise would disappear. Start pedaling harder and it would reappear.

The BB is brand new, nothing is making contact with the frame itself, etc., and so worn chainrings and/or chain would *seem* to be the culprit to me. The noise definitely doesn't come from the cassette.

Would you all agree that it would seem to be worn chainrings and/or chain? Is it wise to replace both at the same time, or should I just try one at a time?

The worn chainring should be obvious by careful inspection. Using a good steel ruler, place on end on a rivet of the chain. At 12 inches a rivit should match the mark. Acclording to Zinn, if this length exceeds 12 1/8 inch the chain should be replaced. What you describe does not sound like a bad chain to me.

I notice that the rings themselves seemed a bit worn, but figured that the rings, chain, and cassette would all wear evenly with each other (all at an even rate, thus needing to all be replaced at the same time). Looks like this would be incorrect?

Also, I notice the clicking more pronounced in the big ring, but still audible in the small ring. I recall having an issue similar to this with a mountain bike of mine in years past and it clearing up after replacing one or more rings, but it was so long ago that I can't specifically recall the exact symptoms and the cure.

I'll try the measurement of the chain, but after thinking about it do suspect that the rings themselves might be the culprit.

It could be almost anything. Check and/or tighten pedals, crank arms, bottom bracket, seat post, saddle, headset, stem, handlebars.

There are numerous old posts about this problem. Do an advanced title search for "clicking".

Due to where the noise is eminating from, I know it's confined to the front area of the drivetrain specifically. I am using a new(er) set of SPD pedals that I recently purchased used, and come to think of it, it *might* even be them. Heck, that should probably be my first place to look. I'll have to swap them out with another set of pedals I have and see if the sound clears up. Thanks for the suggestion.

I had a very similar problem on my old hybrid. After changing the pedals, changing the cassette, changing the chain, & repacking the bottom bracket, I *still* had the same problem. Process of elimination: worn chainrings.

But instead of replacing the chainrings, I gave the bike to a friend and bought myself a new bike, so I guess I can't be 100% positive of this diagnosis.

I had clicking too, it was when my shoe caught the tail of the FD cable, and flicked it onto the seat tube. :eek:

ryanspeer said:
I recently purchased a used Ultegra groupo and installed it on a bike I was building up. Took it out for an inaugural 32-mile ride with no issues whatsoever. Took it out for a shorter ride due to time constraints a week later and noticed an odd "click" type of sound that didn't seem to occur at the exact same spot in the crank rotation, but did occur each rotation nonetheless - but only when under power. In other words, if I was pedaling, but not really exerting much if any force the noise would disappear. Start pedaling harder and it would reappear.

The BB is brand new, nothing is making contact with the frame itself, etc., and so worn chainrings and/or chain would *seem* to be the culprit to me. The noise definitely doesn't come from the cassette.

Would you all agree that it would seem to be worn chainrings and/or chain? Is it wise to replace both at the same time, or should I just try one at a time?
Doe's it do it on every combination of chain ring and cog? How worn is the chain? the longer the section you measure, the more accurate your result will be. Are you really really sure your rear derailleur is adjusted right? Do any of the teeth on your rings or cogs, remotely resemble a shark finn? Place your bike in a trainer and a high gear and pedal it why a friend gets on his knees and tries to hear where the sound is coming from. I would have bet $500 dollars that my random short duration sound was coming from my front Ksyrium TDF wheel. Everybody riding near me, knew it was coming from from my front wheel. Wrong, it was coming from the rear wheel axel, that Mavic had sub contracted outside. Order that axel p/n, and you won't get it. You will receive a Mavic made Kysrium axel. Point is, where the sound is coming from and where you think it is coming from, can be a long ways apart.