Clicking noise on down stroke of left pedal

jlficken

Aug 20, 2008
When pushing hard on my left pedal on the down stroke about 2/3 rds down there is a loud click and I can't figure it out. The right one doesn't make this noise. It is on a mountain bike with Wellgo LU-950 pedals that have probably close to 8K miles on them. I checked everything but the bottom bracket (I don't have the tools) for tightness and everything is fine. I also lubed everything I could think of. Any thoughts would be much appreciated as it is driving me crazy. Thanks ETA: Is it possible it could be the seat post? I saw another post that mentioned his stopped after he took it out and oiled it.

Hi jlficken, it sounds like you need to at least oil the bearings in the pedals or take the pedals apart and regrease them :)

The above, at about 8k I had the same noise, dry inner bearing. I use a light marine
grease for every thing bicycle. Make sure to set the bearing clearance to just enough
with no play.

I had a similar issue years back, it ended up being the bottom bracket. I just could not get it tight enough. After a lot of fussing around, I finally did get it tight enough but soon after I replaced it when I upgraded my crankset to an outboard bottom bracket.

I also had a seat bracket that caused creaking noises, they are pretty easy to snug up.

Bottom bracket tools are not that expensive and are easy to work with, assuming that you have a cartridge unit.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. Here is what I have done so far: Checked to make sure all bolts (saddle, pedal, cassette, etc..) were tight Replaced the pedals with a new set I had sitting around Took out the seat post, cleaned and lubed it, and put it back in I have thus narrowed it down to being a bottom bracket issue. I unfortuately don't have the tools for that right now and won't get one right now as I just ordered a stand and how to book so hopefully I will get a little more confident in my bike repair skills. The bike in question is a 2005 Specialized Stumpjumper (now Disk as I added Avid BB7 disks). The bottom bracket appears to be a "Shimano ES-30 Octalink spline, 68mmshell, 118mmspindle. 50mm chainline" if someone could point me to the right tool. I know my Univega Modo Volare uses a different style of bottom bracket though so that would be another tool. I have done everything except mess with the bottom bracket including changing fluid in my FOX F80RL but am not sure on the bottom bracket what to do for that as I see numerous tools available. Right now I am just going to take it in since I am going that way Monday and it's a 150mi round trip otherwise.

Try removing the pedal, clean and lightly grease threads, reinstall. Pedal/crank arm is an interface of dissimilar metals, a classic trouble spot. I’ve had this same issue, especially the driving you crazy part. You could test the seat post idea simply by pedaling while standing. Hope this helps your return to sanity.

One more thing that I havn't seen mentioned as of yet that could be your problem. Try tightening your crank on the side you are having the clicking sound. You said it was on the left side (if I'm not mistaken) that side would be more prone to coming loose than the drive side (with Octalink) If the crank is a bit loose on the Bottom Bracket spline it will give you that clicking sound when pressure is applied. I had something similar happen way "back in the day" that was with a square taper BB/Crank but I can see how the same issue could arise with a loose Octalink.

Food for thought.

If you get a chance.... Follow a riders return to the bike after a 15+ year "offseason" http://theprodigalcyclistca.blogspot.com/

Well, I took it in yesterday and it wound up being worth the 150mi round trip drive. It turns out that it was the drive side that was a bit loose. I was very pleased with the tech actually appreciating the troubleshooting I already did and he came to the same conclusion that I did after he rode it a bit. 3 hours and $15 later I picked it up and the clicking was gone....wohoo!!! He said to take it out and ride it a bit since I was "much bigger" than him (I'm 6' 6" and 200lbs clothed) and I heard nothing. It was a very pleasant ride to work this morning without the clicking. I am still going to buy the tools to fix it myself from now on but I will let the checking account recover from the clamp I got that should be here today. My plan now is to clean it good as I did get a chain cleaner yesterday since I've never had one before and find it impossible to keep the chain clean. Thanks for all of the advice everyone.