clicking noise

lupson

New Member
Aug 12, 2004
i have this annoying clicking noise coming from i dont now where. i thought it might be the bb so i replaced it and still had the click. so then i thought it might be the rear wheel so i replace that also and still have the click. i took it to the shop and he couldnt find anything. one thing i notice is that when im in the rain it stops. any suggestions?

Hi, Do you get the click at the same point or points on revolutions on the
crank arms? I'm not an expert so recommend listening to what the other guys
here say first, but I believe the normal things that can cause this are
things like crank arm bolts need tightening, stiff link in the chain (if it
happens once per chain revolution), or a bent tooth in a cog or chainring. I
had a similar problem on a new chainset that I couldn't get rid of and was
very annoying and was none of the above - turned out the pick up rivets on
the middle chain-ring were meeting the chain. In desperation I smoothed the
edges of the pick up rivets lightly with a file and that solved the problem.
(It may also be that if I had just left it that they would have worn down
naturally in use but it was getting on my nerves too much!)

Hope this helps
Jerry

news:[email protected]...

"lupson" wrote:

> i have this annoying clicking noise coming from i dont now where. i
> thought it might be the bb so i replaced it and still had the click. so
> then i thought it might be the rear wheel so i replace that also and
> still have the click. i took it to the shop and he couldnt find
> anything. one thing i notice is that when im in the rain it stops. any
> suggestions?

Do you have Open Pro rims? Try putting a drop of oil in each spoke hole in
the rim. This is a common problem with those rims, and would explain why the
problem goes away in the rain.

Otherwise, to isolate a click you have to do a little detective work:

Does the click occur once per crank revolution? Once per wheel revolution?
Does it occur randomly or is there a pattern?
Does it only happen when in the saddle, or when climbing, or when pedaling
hard?

The fact that it stops clicking in the rain suggests something needs
lubrication. I would first try putting some grease on the saddle rails, seat
post, handlebar/stem interface, stem/steer tube interface (if threadless),
etc.

Art Harris

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:15:23 +0100, "Jerry"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi, Do you get the click at the same point or points on revolutions on the
>crank arms? I'm not an expert so recommend listening to what the other guys
>here say first, but I believe the normal things that can cause this are
>things like crank arm bolts need tightening, stiff link in the chain (if it
>happens once per chain revolution), or a bent tooth in a cog or chainring. I
>had a similar problem on a new chainset that I couldn't get rid of and was
>very annoying and was none of the above - turned out the pick up rivets on
>the middle chain-ring were meeting the chain. In desperation I smoothed the
>edges of the pick up rivets lightly with a file and that solved the problem.
>(It may also be that if I had just left it that they would have worn down
>naturally in use but it was getting on my nerves too much!)
>
>Hope this helps
>Jerry

Hi, I just had a clicking noise after changing the chain and cassette
on my road bike. It was once every revolution of the crank, so that
ruled out the chain. Because I had just done the work, I naturally
assumed that it was the cause. I stopped on the side of the road, to
take a look and then I remembered. It was the cadence magnet, hitting
the sensor. I must have bumped it while working on the bike. So, I
guess I'm saying, don't forget the simple things. I think I missed it
at home, actually I know I missed it, because I only looked from the
drive side, so I couldn't see it.

Life is Good!
Jeff

lupson wrote in message ...

>i have this annoying clicking noise coming from i dont now where. i
>thought it might be the bb so i replaced it and still had the click. so
>then i thought it might be the rear wheel so i replace that also and
>still have the click. i took it to the shop and he couldnt find
>anything. one thing i notice is that when im in the rain it stops. any
>suggestions?

Oil the chain.

Trevor

In article <[email protected]>,
lupson <[email protected]> wrote:

>i have this annoying clicking noise coming from i dont now where. i
>thought it might be the bb so i replaced it and still had the click. so
>then i thought it might be the rear wheel so i replace that also and
>still have the click. i took it to the shop and he couldnt find
>anything. one thing i notice is that when im in the rain it stops. any
>suggestions?

I had a click caused by a slight burr on one tooth of my chainwheel.
It'd catch the chain below the bottom bracket and cause it to tap the
frame once per revolution. If that's what you've got it can be fixed
with a couple of strokes from a file.

B.B. --I am not a goat! thegoat4 at airmail.net

Is it a Trek 5200 with painted dropous on the fork?

Trevor Jeffrey wrote:

>lupson wrote in message ...
>

>>i have this annoying clicking noise coming from i dont now where. i
>>thought it might be the bb so i replaced it and still had the click. so
>>then i thought it might be the rear wheel so i replace that also and
>>still have the click. i took it to the shop and he couldnt find
>>anything. one thing i notice is that when im in the rain it stops. any
>>suggestions?
>>

>Oil the chain.
>
>Trevor

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 19:45:52 +1000, lupson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>i have this annoying clicking noise coming from i dont now where. i
>thought it might be the bb so i replaced it and still had the click. so
>then i thought it might be the rear wheel so i replace that also and
>still have the click. i took it to the shop and he couldnt find
>anything. one thing i notice is that when im in the rain it stops. any
>suggestions?

it may be your cleats. spray them with triflow.

its a fuji team that ive had for about six months