clicking noise

lupson

Aug 12, 2004
my bike has a clicking noise. i have replaced the bb, replaced the chain, replaced the pedals, replaced the rear rim, cleaned and and greased the chainrings, greased the seatpost, put teflon tape on the bb, put a drop of oil in the eyelets in the rear rim, put grease between the spokes and still have the same clicking noise. it almost sounds like the crank arm is hitting the frame. it doesnt do it every pedal revolution but quite frequently and seems to go away in the rain. the bike is a fuji team. does anyone have any ideas?

lupson said:
my bike has a clicking noise. i have replaced the bb, replaced the chain, replaced the pedals, replaced the rear rim, cleaned and and greased the chainrings, greased the seatpost, put teflon tape on the bb, put a drop of oil in the eyelets in the rear rim, put grease between the spokes and still have the same clicking noise. it almost sounds like the crank arm is hitting the frame. it doesnt do it every pedal revolution but quite frequently and seems to go away in the rain. the bike is a fuji team. does anyone have any ideas?

Did you change your cleats too?

Did you grease the seat rail to seatpost interface?

Did you grease the seatpost bolt threads and head?

Was your bottom bracket shell faced?

And,,,,... did you check to make sure the Front Derailer cage and cable aren't tapping the crank arm as they pass?

Pedaling flexes the frame... even the stiffest frame and the roundest pedaling motion. Anything that can move will move; so suspect everything and eliminate it. Water bottle holders should get Blue Loctite on the fastener threads, rack & fender bolts too.
Look over the frame and fork carefully for cracks.
That's all I can think of now.

Park Tool's Troubleshooting creaking/popping crankarms and noisy drive train:

<http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/creaking_and_squeaking.shtml>

lupson said:

Another site to check is Chain Reaction Bicycles:

<http://www.chainreaction.com/noises.htm>

daveornee said:
Did you change your cleats too?

Did you grease the seat rail to seatpost interface?

Did you grease the seatpost bolt threads and head?

Was your bottom bracket shell faced?

And,,,,... did you check to make sure the Front Derailer cage and cable aren't tapping the crank arm as they pass?

Pedaling flexes the frame... even the stiffest frame and the roundest pedaling motion. Anything that can move will move; so suspect everything and eliminate it. Water bottle holders should get Blue Loctite on the fastener threads, rack & fender bolts too.
Look over the frame and fork carefully for cracks.
That's all I can think of now.

Park Tool's Troubleshooting creaking/popping crankarms and noisy drive train:

<http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/creaking_and_squeaking.shtml>
someone told me my bb shell hadnt been faced. could this be the problem? is this something i can fix on my own?

I had a similar problem like this a while back, how old are your wheels?
Mine were not that old but the crossover of the spokes or the rear had started to create a slight groove in the spoke it was against in 3 places around the wheel. When I climbed in particular I could hear the clicking sound.

If you go around your wheel squeezing the crossover point it you should feel the groove and hear the click as it slots back in to the groove.

The solution was to get the wheel re-built with new spokes, now no more clicking.

Dave N

lupson said:
someone told me my bb shell hadnt been faced. could this be the problem? is this something i can fix on my own?
Is your pedal hitting your frame pump?

Stupid question, but it drove me nuts for a few days....

Not sure if an unfaced BB shell is to blame but you will probably want a shop to do it, it takes special tools and skills. Plus you may not want to run the risk of doing it yourself and ruining something as irreplacable as the BB shell. Also, it may just be easiest to have some shop guys check it out. It seems you've spent enough time and energy on the issue that may warrant asking the pros for some help.

Exerpt from Park Tools page:

"Most bottom bracket shells have an internal thread to accept bottom bracket bearing units from numerous manufacturers. If these threads are not in acceptable condition, they may need preparation. Threads may need realignment, or may have weld splatter from manufacturing that prevent the threading of the bearings. Shells may be out of round due to welding during manufacturing. Additionally, some bearing system benefit from having the faces of the shell square to improve bearing adjustment and bearing longevity. If the shell faces are deformed, and are not parallel to one another, the left and right bearing may not be concentric to one another. Machining the shell face improves concentricity."

lupson said:
my bike has a clicking noise. ?

my friend had that. when she stood to climb the click wentaway. turned out it was her seat. The rails were loose
i noticed you checked that though.

hmmmmmm

tighten the head set??

weird.

lupson said:
my band on hits the crank arm, or rather did until this afternoon, my bottom bracket was just a little to short so when the front mech was adjusted it was hitting the crank arm cause it couldn't go into possition correctly.

plus the end cap wasn't quite tight enough