Clicking sounds from the front fork area

Black7

Aug 24, 2012
Hello everyone. I have recently found my way back to cycling after many years of running as my main means of getting in shape. Per the typical sob story, I have developed knee troubles so I need something low impact for a few months.

I purchased a used '10 TREK 2.3. I love everything about it... except I'm noticing a clicking noise from the front end that I have never noticed before. The bike is low miles and 100% stock. I am right around 200# so I'm not featherweight (I've slacked off on stayng in shape unfortuantely), but I'm kind of getting nervous that I'm too much for the bike. Also this is my first bike with a carbon fork.

I can't say 100% if this is true, but it seems that if I put more weight on my hands, I can make the clicking noise about 70% of the time which seems to come from the fork/front hub area. I can only get it to click when I'm moving. It won't do it when I'm stationary making pin pointing the location difficult.

I'm looking for some assistance before I take it to my LSB for help. Is this normal? Should I worry? There is no obvious damage and I believe the PO took great care of the bike before me.

Thanks in advance for you help!

Be forewarned that bicycle noises can be one of the most difficult "problems" to sort out. Quite often a noise whose source is in one place manifests itself somewhere entirely different. With that said, I'd make sure that your front quick release is sufficiently tight. It should leave an impression in your hand when you close the QR lever (and make sure the lever closes all the way). You can try greasing lightly the quick release where it clamps the fork. It's possible that your headset (the bearings through which load is transferred to the fork from the frame) does not have the correct preload, i.e. is loose. To check this, put the front wheel between your legs with you facing the bike. With your legs clamping the wheel, forcefully move the handlebars forward and back. Does this cause a noise? Do you feel movement when you do that?

Excellent call! I do most definitely feel the clicking in the top headset when I grab it and lean on the bars! That definitely gives me a great starting point to talk to my LSB to see what needs to happen next. Thanks!

I'm a wee nervous about the carbon forks so not having an immediate issue with them is certainly a plus.