Clicking Ultegra SPD-SL pedals!

xiare76

Oct 8, 2003
Upon every upstroke I hear a clicking sound. I checked all the typical stuff, crank, BB..blah blah I'm certain it's the pedals. The pedals (actually just my left pedal) have a lot of vertical play, that is to say the cleat doesn't feel as though it's seated on the pedal properly. I greased the **** out of em' and bought new cleats, to no avail. Could the pedals be worn out? Upon closer examination I can see wear on the top of the cleat. I probably have about 5000 miles on these guys.

Thanks!

Have you checked the chainring bolts? How did you check your BB?
(Pedals are quite low on the list for this kind of noise).

xiare76 said:
Upon every upstroke I hear a clicking sound. I checked all the typical stuff, crank, BB..blah blah I'm certain it's the pedals. The pedals (actually just my left pedal) have a lot of vertical play, that is to say the cleat doesn't feel as though it's seated on the pedal properly.
!
HA!!!I'm sure I have the exact same problem; and it's also more on the left than the right!! After checking EVERYTHING (!!!), I also eventually decided it was vertical movement on the pedal, and I stopped it by putting a couple of strips of gaffer (cloth) tape over the pedal platform (on both sides to makes sure the stack height was even).

At one stage I thought it was the front of the inserts moving on my expensive Sidi shoes, but it wasn't.

While I'm glad this has totally stopped the movement, I don't like having to put tape on what are considered reasonably good quality pedals. I put this question on another forum, but got no responses, so I thought it was just me. Maybe we ride harder than all the other Ultegra users :)

I have three pairs of these pedals, and on the box of the newest set (#6510, i think) it says something like "high and low platform design", which naturally makes me think that, as the plastic flatform simply clicks in and out, there are higher platforms available. After 'Googling' for a short while, I gave up searching. I couldn't find anything on the Shimano site, either.

I have a similar problem with some old SPD clones. I dribble some White Lightning on the cleat mating points on the pedal and it stops it.

Mkkkk.. So, guys at LBS gave me a spare pedal body cover (block thingy on top of pedal) and **** the clicking is gone. Having a hell of a time finding someone who sells these things online. Thanks for all your suggestions!