Clicking XT BB

Zilla

Guest
My BB started making a clicking noise when right pedal is at 1:00 position. What could this be?

--
- Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

Zilla wrote:
> My BB started making a clicking noise when right pedal is at 1:00 position. What could this be?
>
> --
> - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

Check the cable end on your front derailleur.

Jon Bond

Hehe! I get it this happened to you before. This is NOT the case with me though. Funny thing is if
the bike is on a stand, I don't hear the click when I turn the cranks. Only when I'm riding. Thanks.

--
- Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

"Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Zilla wrote:
> > My BB started making a clicking noise when right pedal is at 1:00 position. What could this be?
> >
> > --
> > - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)
>
> Check the cable end on your front derailleur.
>
> Jon Bond

Yup, but it was only occasional, and only when in one of the rings in the front (I forget which).

Hmmm... 1:00 position is just about where you'll start putting downward pressure on the pedal. Did
you try relubing the pedal threads? If its a splined BB, lube the splines too.

Since its only when you're sitting on the bike, it might actually be saddle/seatpost. Mine was
doing that for a while and I could have sworn it was something in my BB area. Does it still make
the sound if you stand and pedal? If it doesn't, lube the seatpost, and a teensy bit of grease on
the saddle rails.

Jon Bond

Zilla wrote:
> Hehe! I get it this happened to you before. This is NOT the case with me though. Funny thing
> is if the bike is on a stand, I don't hear the click when I turn the cranks. Only when I'm
> riding. Thanks.
>
> --
> - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)
>

> "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Zilla wrote:
>>
>>>My BB started making a clicking noise when right pedal is at 1:00 position. What could this be?
>>>
>>>--
>>>- Zilla (Remove XSPAM)
>>
>>Check the cable end on your front derailleur.
>>
>>Jon Bond

"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:7L%[email protected]...
> Hehe! I get it this happened to you before. This is NOT the case with me though. Funny thing
> is if the bike is on a stand, I don't hear the click when I turn the cranks. Only when I'm
> riding. Thanks.

There are a lot of things that can do it when it's a under-power-only thing. You might try applying
the rear brake while pushing the pedal through the clicking position, and look for interference, odd
movements, cracks, etc. That's worked for me before.

David

"Zilla" <[email protected]> writes:
>"Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Zilla wrote:

>>> My BB started making a clicking noise when right pedal is at
>>> 1:00 position. What could this be?
>>
>> Check the cable end on your front derailleur.
>
> Hehe! I get it this happened to you before. This is NOT the case with me though. Funny thing is if
> the bike is on a stand, I don't hear the click when I turn the cranks. Only when I'm riding.

I had similar symptoms: click (or "ping") at certain crank positions, and only when riding, nothing
if I picked the bike up.

In my case the problem was a bad rear hub. The internat race had broken loose and was shifting
abruptly at certain points when turning under load.

Kevin B.

"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:7L%[email protected]...
> Hehe! I get it this happened to you before. This is NOT the case with me though. Funny thing
> is if the bike is on a stand, I don't hear the click when I turn the cranks. Only when I'm
> riding. Thanks.
>
> --

Turn up the radio.

Mike - Hey, it works for my Ford. ;^)

I had this exact problem. I had the shop fix it, so I don't know exactly what they did, but they
said they relubed the threads (which threads exactly I am not sure, but I think the threads that
hold the BB in the frame). -Paul

"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My BB started making a clicking noise when right pedal is at 1:00 position. What could this be?
>
> --
> - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

Zilla, I had the same problem, and the bike shop told me it was the pedals (wrong). Then I thought
it was the crank arm (wrong). It turned out to be the BB loosened, get that a try, and/or put some
teflon tape on the BB threads and reinsert.

Andreas aka Evileye

"Best" suggestion yet! :)

--
- Zilla (Remove XSPAM)