Clicking

ganderctr

Dec 9, 2004
Went riding in the rain last Tuesday, and afterward cleaned up the bike. Went out again Wednesday and Thursday for about 5 miles each day. Rode yesterday and a clicking noise has developed when I stand and hammer. From what I'm reading this is either a BB, crank arm, or pedal issue. I didn't let any water seep into the BB and the grease didn't wash off when I cleaned the bile. I know stuff like this shouldn't happen when I clean the bike up. Any ideas what the issue might be, how to fix it, and how to prevent it in the buture? Water should not be getting in the BB with the indirect water it received when I wash the bike.

The bike only has 220 miles on it FWIW.

Believe it or not the clicking could be the headset - especially if it's internal or integrated - check it out also.

Don't think it's water in your BB or anywhere else. I'd first check the crankarms. After the first couple hundred miles, things may need a retorquing.

Your LBS ought to fix this on a new bike without charge. Good luck.

One source of clicking I had came from a loose valve stem retaining nut. This allowed the valve stem to wobble and click against the wheel rim. Something to look at.

Nothing can be more frustrating than identifying a phantom tick, or click. They can be impossible to pinpoint. Each of the suggestions here has validity to it--though it's unlikely, a bearing issue is possible. It's more likely something aggravatingly and elusively obvious, though, like a loose cable inlet slapping around, or some sort of shifting element due to a bolt which needs tightening. The pedal guess is also a good one. I get ticking in my Speedplay cleats from time to time; cleaning and re-tightening the mechanism works.

There are only two ways to proceed that ever have worked for me. One: get the thing in a trainer, try to replicate the noise, and have a friend on hands and knees localize the sound.

The other option, of course, is to religiously work the bike from end to end, allenwrench and lube in hand, triple-checking for spots where a cable-housing might be knocking around, or a bolt might be shimmying loose. You're bound to find it eventually. Either that, or it'll simply melt away. Good luck!

Don't know about clicking but I had a squeak that was periodic and steady after riding in the rain. It was coming from the front of the bike and was hard to pinpoint. Asked a buddy that is a seasoned rider and he said...

Take your front tire off and see if water comes out; if it is present, then apply a small drop of lubricant to each spoke where it enters the rim.

Water came out. Applied lubricant. Problem went away.

In your case, it may be advantageous to try to pinpoint the origin but since it is only under load, it may be difficult to do so. Are you sure that it only happens when pedaling hard?

Nik H

aside from the excellent advice above, a further thought is if you can't precisely isolate the ticking as lokstah stated...put the bike on a trainer at home or the local bike shop and while you hammer have someone use a mechanic's stethoscope over different parts of the bike. Noise propagates through the frame so it can be frustrating to find its source. The same is true with an engine. If your BB is tight, my guess is it is either the crank arms are creaking...the front stem etc....could be one of many things. An electric stethoscope will find it however...you may be able to rent one for purely a deposit at a local autoparts store with no cash outlay.
HTH,
George

Good luck i have a similar click whenever I stand and hammer. Been looking for it for 3 months with no success. Done everything from take out the bottom bracket to replace bearings in the wheels. Another solution is to just ride so hard you cant hear it over the agony of the people trying to keep up with you.