Clicky cranks update.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Ne>, Mar 7, 2005.

  1. Ne>

    Ne> Guest

    Looks like I need a new BB, this one's loose.

    --
    "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."

    Tags:

  2. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    > Looks like I need a new BB, this one's loose.

    {insert own easy joke here}

  3. Ne>

    Ne> Guest

    "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >> Looks like I need a new BB, this one's loose.

    > {insert own easy joke here}

    I take it, it can be repaired?

  4. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Ne><uS wrote:
    > "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>>Looks like I need a new BB, this one's loose.

    >>{insert own easy joke here}
    >>

    > I take it, it can be repaired?

    Whoooosssshhhhh!

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  5. Ne>

    Ne> Guest

    > Whoooosssshhhhh!

    Please, inform me of this new joke.

  6. JD

    JD Guest

    Ne><uS wrote:
    > Looks like I need a new BB, this one's loose.

    Funny, but every time something needs tightening on it on any of my
    bicycles, I just tighten it. Maybe you'd have more money for traveling
    and the bicycle gadegtry you so obviously desire if you tightened items
    on your bicycle instead of replacing them every time they needed
    tightening.

    JD

  7. Ne>

    Ne> Guest

    > Ne><uS wrote:
    >> Looks like I need a new BB, this one's loose.

    > Funny, but every time something needs tightening on it on any of my
    > bicycles, I just tighten it. Maybe you'd have more money for traveling
    > and the bicycle gadegtry you so obviously desire if you tightened items
    > on your bicycle instead of replacing them every time they needed
    > tightening.
    >
    > JD

    I didn't know that, that is why I put the post up smartarse.

    I will just have to bite the bullet and take it into my local bikeshop.

    You're a man in the know. It's a Carrera Kraken SE, what kinda BB do they
    use in them and can they be tightened?

  8. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Ne><uS wrote:
    > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Ne><uS wrote:
    >>
    >>>Looks like I need a new BB, this one's loose.

    >>Funny, but every time something needs tightening on it on any of my
    >>bicycles, I just tighten it. Maybe you'd have more money for traveling
    >>and the bicycle gadegtry you so obviously desire if you tightened items
    >>on your bicycle instead of replacing them every time they needed
    >>tightening.
    >>
    >>JD
    >>

    > I didn't know that, that is why I put the post up smartarse.
    >
    > I will just have to bite the bullet and take it into my local bikeshop.
    >
    > You're a man in the know. It's a Carrera Kraken SE, what kinda BB do they
    > use in them and can they be tightened?

    Yikes! I'm covering my ears and eyes on this one. Better yet, time to
    open that fallout shelter.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  9. Ne>

    Ne> Guest

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Ne><uS wrote:
    >> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >>>Funny, but every time something needs tightening on it on any of my
    >>>bicycles, I just tighten it. Maybe you'd have more money for traveling
    >>>and the bicycle gadegtry you so obviously desire if you tightened items
    >>>on your bicycle instead of replacing them every time they needed
    >>>tightening.
    >>>
    >>>JD
    >>>

    >> I didn't know that, that is why I put the post up smartarse.
    >>
    >> I will just have to bite the bullet and take it into my local bikeshop.
    >>
    >> You're a man in the know. It's a Carrera Kraken SE, what kinda BB do
    >> they use in them and can they be tightened?
    >>

    > Yikes! I'm covering my ears and eyes on this one. Better yet, time to
    > open that fallout shelter.

    Rather than expecting me to know *everything* about bikes, why doesn't
    someone actually answer the question rather than everyone assuming i'm
    trying to wind you up.

    Jesus Christ, you lot aren't any bloody help in here.

    I *don't* know everything about bikes, so I ask questions, this *seemed* the
    right place to do it, (referrence to SS question.) I don't seem to think so
    now.

    Some of you can be arrogant at times.

    > --
    > o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    > www.schnauzers.ws

  10. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Ne><uS wrote:
    > "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Ne><uS wrote:
    >>
    >>>"JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:[email protected]

    >>>I didn't know that, that is why I put the post up smartarse.
    >>>
    >>>I will just have to bite the bullet and take it into my local bikeshop.
    >>>
    >>>You're a man in the know. It's a Carrera Kraken SE, what kinda BB do
    >>>they use in them and can they be tightened?
    >>>

    >>Yikes! I'm covering my ears and eyes on this one. Better yet, time to
    >>open that fallout shelter.
    >>

    > Rather than expecting me to know *everything* about bikes, why doesn't
    > someone actually answer the question rather than everyone assuming i'm
    > trying to wind you up.
    >
    > Jesus Christ, you lot aren't any bloody help in here.
    >
    > I *don't* know everything about bikes, so I ask questions, this *seemed* the
    > right place to do it, (referrence to SS question.) I don't seem to think so
    > now.
    >
    > Some of you can be arrogant at times.
    >

    >>--
    >>o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    >>www.schnauzers.ws

    Stick around and you'll learn what to expect and how to weed things out.
    It's really not that bad in here and certainly the different
    personalities add some flavor.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  11. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    >> Ne><uS wrote:

    > Rather than expecting me to know *everything* about bikes, why doesn't
    > someone actually answer the question rather than everyone assuming i'm
    > trying to wind you up.
    >
    > Jesus Christ, you lot aren't any bloody help in here.
    >
    > I *don't* know everything about bikes, so I ask questions, this
    > *seemed* the right place to do it, (referrence to SS question.) I
    > don't seem to think so now.
    >
    > Some of you can be arrogant at times.

    Sigh. You made the following statement: "Looks like I need a new BB, this
    one's loose."

    My comment about making one's own joke about that had NOTHING to do with
    bottom brackets. (Hint: if we traded in everything that got loose...oh,
    never mind.)

    You may or may not need a new bottom bracket. If it merely needs
    tightening, then do it and go ride. If it's developed play or grindiness
    (?), then buy a new one and go ride.

    Your best bet is to have a bike shop or knowledgeable friend check it out
    and advise you.

    Then go ride.

    Never a good sign when you gots to 'splain 'em, BS (no, really)

  12. Ne>

    Ne> Guest

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Ne><uS wrote:
    >> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >>>Yikes! I'm covering my ears and eyes on this one. Better yet, time to
    >>>open that fallout shelter.
    >>>

    >> Rather than expecting me to know *everything* about bikes, why doesn't
    >> someone actually answer the question rather than everyone assuming i'm
    >> trying to wind you up.
    >>
    >> Jesus Christ, you lot aren't any bloody help in here.
    >>
    >> I *don't* know everything about bikes, so I ask questions, this *seemed*
    >> the right place to do it, (referrence to SS question.) I don't seem to
    >> think so now.
    >>
    >> Some of you can be arrogant at times.
    >>

    >>>--
    >>>o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    >>>www.schnauzers.ws

    > Stick around and you'll learn what to expect and how to weed things out.
    > It's really not that bad in here and certainly the different personalities
    > add some flavor.

    I've been around on usenet for a few years, and i've admittedly put up with
    worse, (sad thing was, I used to take what people said on usenet very
    seriously.

    As for the BB, i'll take it back to Halfords and let them take a look at it.
    I already got two wheels for about £80 for free from them. :)

    Thanks bud.

  13. Ne>

    Ne> Guest

    > Never a good sign when you gots to 'splain 'em, BS (no, really)

    Unfortunately, I don't know everything about bikes, so I do need to be told
    things from time to time.

    On hindsight it was daft of me to say it needed replacing, but I did expect
    a few helpfull comments.

    Ta anyways. :)

  14. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    >> Never a good sign when you gots to 'splain 'em, BS (no, really)
    >>

    > Unfortunately, I don't know everything about bikes, so I do need to
    > be told things from time to time.

    Again, I TRIED TO MAKE A JOKE THAT HAD *NOTHING* TO DO WITH BIKES! (Do I
    /really/ need to spell it out for you?!?)

    > On hindsight it was daft of me to say it needed replacing, but I did
    > expect a few helpfull comments.
    >
    > Ta anyways. :)

    As someone else said, "Whoosh."

    Good luck at Halfords... BS (no, I mean it)

  15. Ne>

    Ne> Guest

    "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >>> Never a good sign when you gots to 'splain 'em, BS (no, really)
    >>>

    >> Unfortunately, I don't know everything about bikes, so I do need to
    >> be told things from time to time.

    > Again, I TRIED TO MAKE A JOKE THAT HAD *NOTHING* TO DO WITH BIKES! (Do I
    > /really/ need to spell it out for you?!?)

    If I ask really nicely, will you? (I'll only kick myself later anyways.)

    >> On hindsight it was daft of me to say it needed replacing, but I did
    >> expect a few helpfull comments.
    >>
    >> Ta anyways. :)

    > As someone else said, "Whoosh."
    >
    > Good luck at Halfords... BS (no, I mean it)

    No luck needed.

    Ta again.

  16. tcmedara

    tcmedara Guest

    > "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Ne><uS wrote:
    >>> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]

    >>> Rather than expecting me to know *everything* about bikes, why
    >>> doesn't someone actually answer the question rather than everyone
    >>> assuming i'm trying to wind you up.
    >>>
    >>> Jesus Christ, you lot aren't any bloody help in here.
    >>>
    >>> I *don't* know everything about bikes, so I ask questions, this
    >>> *seemed* the right place to do it, (referrence to SS question.) I
    >>> don't seem to think so now.
    >>>
    >>> Some of you can be arrogant at times.

    >> Stick around and you'll learn what to expect and how to weed things
    >> out. It's really not that bad in here and certainly the different
    >> personalities add some flavor.
    >>

    > I've been around on usenet for a few years, and i've admittedly put
    > up with worse, (sad thing was, I used to take what people said on
    > usenet very seriously.
    >
    > As for the BB, i'll take it back to Halfords and let them take a look
    > at it. I already got two wheels for about £80 for free from them. :)
    >
    > Thanks bud.

    Here's an idea...If you are even semi-literate, there are numerous sites an
    books available to you that will go into excruciating detail on any part of
    your bike. Rather than rely on the participants of this newsgroup as your
    own personal research staff, try to use google, go read something, and
    actually learn it rather than wait for someone to spoon feed you. If you
    can tighten the gas/petrol cap on your car you can tighten your bottom
    bracket.

    Ignorance happens, idiocy is a state of mind

    Tom

  17. Shaun aRe

    Shaun aRe Guest

    "Ne><uS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >>>

    > >> Unfortunately, I don't know everything about bikes, so I do need to
    > >> be told things from time to time.

    > > Again, I TRIED TO MAKE A JOKE THAT HAD *NOTHING* TO DO WITH BIKES! (Do

    > > /really/ need to spell it out for you?!?)

    > If I ask really nicely, will you? (I'll only kick myself later anyways.)

    OK, lessee if I can help ya here: "It's loose..." "looks like I need a new
    one..." - the unspoken joke was about women: Does a woman who's become loose
    also need replacing? - Or summink like that anyhow.

    Regarding the BB - if the shell of it, where it screws into the frame (left
    hand thread one side, right hand the other), has just worked loose, it may
    just need tightening (special BB tool, quite cheap). OTOH, if the spindle
    itself has play but the shell is tight into the frame, it would suggest worn
    bearings = time for a replacement!

    HTH doood ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

  18. Tim

    Tim Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Ne><uS wrote:

    > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> Ne><uS wrote:
    >>> Looks like I need a new BB, this one's loose.

    >> Funny, but every time something needs tightening on it on any of my
    >> bicycles, I just tighten it. Maybe you'd have more money for traveling
    >> and the bicycle gadegtry you so obviously desire if you tightened items
    >> on your bicycle instead of replacing them every time they needed
    >> tightening.
    >>
    >> JD
    >>

    > I didn't know that, that is why I put the post up smartarse.
    >
    > I will just have to bite the bullet and take it into my local bikeshop.
    >
    > You're a man in the know. It's a Carrera Kraken SE, what kinda BB do they
    > use in them and can they be tightened?

    Carrera is IIRC one of the Halfrauds owned brands which means
    it's BB is likely to be a cheap & nasty generic pile of poo. It almost
    certainly can be tigthened. The BB shell is almost cerainly 68mm wide
    English threaded though what's in the shell in anybody's guess.

    If you've got a nice big spanner or preferably a torque wrench
    the only other tools you need are a crank puller and a bottom bracket
    tool. These aren't expensive from a LBS. Get them and check Sheldon's
    and the Park Tool sites for how to best use them.

    Unless you've got one of the very few competant Halfrauds near
    you you'd be better off tinkering yourself.
    --
    Tim.

  19. Isn't Halford's a Department Store in England. I know of
    one in London. The Royal Family shop there from time to time thats what
    the BBC reports say. I made the misstake of buying a bike in a
    department store twice in the mid 90s. The first lasted a big 5
    months. The other one was just about a daily fix it job that one on for
    a few years till I left it chained to a pole outside a real bike shop
    after I purchaced a real bike from them. And after I got my hands on
    pro tools I do 99.9% of the work on 7 bikes. The other .1 % is
    truing wheels and I let the LBS handle that for me. Try it
    you may like it thats if its in you. If not then let every one eles do
    the mussle and brain for you. Good morning,good afternoon,and
    good night.