Clicky cranks update.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
> Isn't Halford's a Department Store in England. I know of
> one in London. The Royal Family shop there from time to time thats what
> the BBC reports say. I made the misstake of buying a bike in a
> department store twice in the mid 90s. The first lasted a big 5
> months. The other one was just about a daily fix it job that one on for
> a few years till I left it chained to a pole outside a real bike shop
> after I purchaced a real bike from them. And after I got my hands on
> pro tools I do 99.9% of the work on 7 bikes. The other .1 % is
> truing wheels and I let the LBS handle that for me. Try it
> you may like it thats if its in you. If not then let every one eles do
> the mussle and brain for you. Good morning,good afternoon,and
> good night.

That'd be Harrods. Halfords are a chain of car parts and bits
stores soemtimes with servicing bits attatched. Halfords flog bikes at
mostly the cheaper end of the market under their own brands (such as
Apollo and Carerra) as well as a couple of decent brands mid-range
bikes.

Wheel truing I quite enjoy. It's a nice way to unwind from work.
--
Tim.

"Shaun aRe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Ne><uS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > Again, I TRIED TO MAKE A JOKE THAT HAD *NOTHING* TO DO WITH BIKES! (Do

>> > /really/ need to spell it out for you?!?)

>> If I ask really nicely, will you? (I'll only kick myself later anyways.)

> OK, lessee if I can help ya here: "It's loose..." "looks like I need a new
> one..." - the unspoken joke was about women: Does a woman who's become
> loose
> also need replacing? - Or summink like that anyhow.
>
> Regarding the BB - if the shell of it, where it screws into the frame
> (left
> hand thread one side, right hand the other), has just worked loose, it may
> just need tightening (special BB tool, quite cheap). OTOH, if the spindle
> itself has play but the shell is tight into the frame, it would suggest
> worn
> bearings = time for a replacement!
>
> HTH doood ',;~}~
>
> Shaun aRe

Than-Q. :)

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Isn't Halford's a Department Store in England. I know of
> one in London. The Royal Family shop there from time to time thats what
> the BBC reports say. I made the misstake of buying a bike in a
> department store twice in the mid 90s. The first lasted a big 5
> months. The other one was just about a daily fix it job that one on for
> a few years till I left it chained to a pole outside a real bike shop
> after I purchaced a real bike from them. And after I got my hands on
> pro tools I do 99.9% of the work on 7 bikes. The other .1 % is
> truing wheels and I let the LBS handle that for me. Try it
> you may like it thats if its in you. If not then let every one eles do
> the mussle and brain for you. Good morning,good afternoon,and
> good night.

I'm going to start saving soon, for a *decent bike*, at least I won't have
as many problems as this thing.

"Tim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Ne><uS wrote:
>>
>> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Funny, but every time something needs tightening on it on any of my
>>> bicycles, I just tighten it. Maybe you'd have more money for traveling
>>> and the bicycle gadegtry you so obviously desire if you tightened items
>>> on your bicycle instead of replacing them every time they needed
>>> tightening.
>>>
>>> JD
>>>

>> I didn't know that, that is why I put the post up smartarse.
>>
>> I will just have to bite the bullet and take it into my local bikeshop.
>>
>> You're a man in the know. It's a Carrera Kraken SE, what kinda BB do
>> they
>> use in them and can they be tightened?
>>

> Carrera is IIRC one of the Halfrauds owned brands which means
> it's BB is likely to be a cheap & nasty generic pile of poo. It almost
> certainly can be tigthened. The BB shell is almost cerainly 68mm wide
> English threaded though what's in the shell in anybody's guess.
>
> If you've got a nice big spanner or preferably a torque wrench
> the only other tools you need are a crank puller and a bottom bracket
> tool. These aren't expensive from a LBS. Get them and check Sheldon's
> and the Park Tool sites for how to best use them.
>
> Unless you've got one of the very few competant Halfrauds near
> you you'd be better off tinkering yourself.
> --
> Tim.

That'll teach me.

Tim wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Ne><uS wrote:
>>
>> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Funny, but every time something needs tightening on it on any of my
>>> bicycles, I just tighten it. Maybe you'd have more money for
>>> traveling and the bicycle gadegtry you so obviously desire if you
>>> tightened items on your bicycle instead of replacing them every
>>> time they needed tightening.
>>>
>>> JD
>>>

>> I didn't know that, that is why I put the post up smartarse.
>>
>> I will just have to bite the bullet and take it into my local
>> bikeshop.
>>
>> You're a man in the know. It's a Carrera Kraken SE, what kinda BB
>> do they use in them and can they be tightened?
>>

> Carrera is IIRC one of the Halfrauds owned brands which means
> it's BB is likely to be a cheap & nasty generic pile of poo. It almost
> certainly can be tigthened. The BB shell is almost cerainly 68mm wide
> English threaded though what's in the shell in anybody's guess.
>
> If you've got a nice big spanner or preferably a torque wrench
> the only other tools you need are a crank puller and a bottom bracket
> tool.

Not always true. Sometimes you can use a 15mm or 17mm cone wrench and get
behind the crank even when it's still on the spindle. Plus, the OP might
have a single-piece crank and then you wouldn't need the crank puller.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Ne><uS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Shaun aRe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Ne><uS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

(Do

> >> If I ask really nicely, will you? (I'll only kick myself later

anyways.)

> > OK, lessee if I can help ya here: "It's loose..." "looks like I need a

new
> > one..." - the unspoken joke was about women: Does a woman who's become
> > loose
> > also need replacing? - Or summink like that anyhow.
> >
> > Regarding the BB - if the shell of it, where it screws into the frame
> > (left
> > hand thread one side, right hand the other), has just worked loose, it

may
> > just need tightening (special BB tool, quite cheap). OTOH, if the

spindle
> > itself has play but the shell is tight into the frame, it would suggest
> > worn
> > bearings = time for a replacement!
> >
> > HTH doood ',;~}~
> >
> > Shaun aRe
> >

> Than-Q. :)

U-r well c'm... Oh I give up! ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

In article <[email protected]>, Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> Tim wrote:

[snip]
>> Carrera is IIRC one of the Halfrauds owned brands which means
>> it's BB is likely to be a cheap & nasty generic pile of poo. It almost
>> certainly can be tigthened. The BB shell is almost cerainly 68mm wide
>> English threaded though what's in the shell in anybody's guess.
>>
>> If you've got a nice big spanner or preferably a torque wrench
>> the only other tools you need are a crank puller and a bottom bracket
>> tool.

> Not always true. Sometimes you can use a 15mm or 17mm cone wrench and get
> behind the crank even when it's still on the spindle. Plus, the OP might
> have a single-piece crank and then you wouldn't need the crank puller.

Is the spanner behind the spindle to lever the crank from the BB
spindle or to try to tighten the BB? I'm not sure my cone wrenches are
really up to either of those tasks.

It may have been a silly assumption but reading the OP's post
suggested the cranks would be original & Halfords MTBs don't have one
piece cranks:) Or self extracting bolts for that matter either.
--
Tim.

Tim wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Phil,
> Squid-in-Training wrote:
>> Tim wrote:

> [snip]
>>> Carrera is IIRC one of the Halfrauds owned brands which means
>>> it's BB is likely to be a cheap & nasty generic pile of poo. It
>>> almost certainly can be tigthened. The BB shell is almost cerainly
>>> 68mm wide English threaded though what's in the shell in anybody's
>>> guess.
>>>
>>> If you've got a nice big spanner or preferably a torque wrench
>>> the only other tools you need are a crank puller and a bottom
>>> bracket tool.

>> Not always true. Sometimes you can use a 15mm or 17mm cone wrench
>> and get behind the crank even when it's still on the spindle. Plus,
>> the OP might have a single-piece crank and then you wouldn't need
>> the crank puller.

> Is the spanner behind the spindle to lever the crank from the BB
> spindle or to try to tighten the BB? I'm not sure my cone wrenches are
> really up to either of those tasks.

To tighten the BB if it's a loose ball-retainer/cup/lockring type... Some
use a pin spanner, some use a cone wrench.

> It may have been a silly assumption but reading the OP's post
> suggested the cranks would be original & Halfords MTBs don't have one
> piece cranks:) Or self extracting bolts for that matter either.

If they're anything like the real cheap bikes in the US, they'd be
one-piece.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

In article <[email protected]>, Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>, Phil,

[snip]
>>> Not always true. Sometimes you can use a 15mm or 17mm cone wrench
>>> and get behind the crank even when it's still on the spindle. Plus,
>>> the OP might have a single-piece crank and then you wouldn't need
>>> the crank puller.

>> Is the spanner behind the spindle to lever the crank from the BB
>> spindle or to try to tighten the BB? I'm not sure my cone wrenches are
>> really up to either of those tasks.

> To tighten the BB if it's a loose ball-retainer/cup/lockring type... Some
> use a pin spanner, some use a cone wrench.

I've only encountered loose ball botom brackets which need a pin
spanner to tighten before. Probably a good thing since my cone spanners
wouldn't cope with a astily stuck cup:)

>> It may have been a silly assumption but reading the OP's post
>> suggested the cranks would be original & Halfords MTBs don't have one
>> piece cranks:) Or self extracting bolts for that matter either.

> If they're anything like the real cheap bikes in the US, they'd be
> one-piece.

These aren't one piece unless the OP has replaced his.
--
Tim.