Climate Change : Tony Blair : Stern Report

MountainPro said:
deaf ears lim, deaf ears...

the UK produces 2% of the worlds carbon emissions, we can reduce that but its a drop in the ocean.

we all know who is responsible for putting money before the planet...it isnt the UK or Ireland...
So your country's investments have nothing to do w/ the U.S. :confused: I suggest you look at your country's real estate investments, among others :rolleyes: You can't have it both ways.

davidmc said:
So your country's investments have nothing to do w/ the U.S. :confused: I suggest you look at your country's real estate investments, among others :rolleyes: You can't have it both ways.
Nor does European consumption of American/Chinese goods mean anything to them. And what about German investment in the US? Here in the midwest, German investment is high. This is the usual USA bash forum. It gets old. A fair comparison would be Europe vs the USA. After all, the US is about 87% of the size of Europe in whole. .

Most European countries would rank as small to mid size states in the US..... For instance, he United States has 40 of it's 50 states bigger then Ireland. Germany and France would be considered large states. I imagine that Germany has a much bigger problem then France...

I would be curious to see what the enviromental numbers are when compared to each other..... 87% of Europe's numbers compared to the USA.

And how does Germany compare to other countries? I know they are struggling to meet the EU's standards. What are the numbers of Russia? {European}

And the countries that have low industrial pollution, is it because you import most of your goods, rather then have home grown industry?

US industry is also under pressure to meet new standards. Ask your custom frame builders in California how they have to deal with the simple act of frame painting.....

This is a situation facing us all. I have seen Americans cut back tremendously in their individual energy consumption.

wolfix said:
Nor does European consumption of American/Chinese goods mean anything to them. And what about German investment in the US? Here in the midwest, German investment is high. This is the usual USA bash forum. It gets old. A fair comparison would be Europe vs the USA. After all, the US is about 87% of the size of Europe in whole. .

Most European countries would rank as small to mid size states in the US..... For instance, he United States has 40 of it's 50 states bigger then Ireland. Germany and France would be considered large states. I imagine that Germany has a much bigger problem then France...

I would be curious to see what the enviromental numbers are when compared to each other..... 87% of Europe's numbers compared to the USA.

And how does Germany compare to other countries? I know they are struggling to meet the EU's standards. What are the numbers of Russia? {European}

And the countries that have low industrial pollution, is it because you import most of your goods, rather then have home grown industry?

US industry is also under pressure to meet new standards. Ask your custom frame builders in California how they have to deal with the simple act of frame painting.....

This is a situation facing us all. I have seen Americans cut back tremendously in their individual energy consumption.

I agree this is a problem which faces all of mankind.

However, lets look at what Stern says : the responsibility for the cauase of carbon emmission is heavy industry, followed by automobile usage, followed by short haul air travel.

Your country opposed the Kyoto Treaty. Your country stated that it did not accept the science that says there was global warming (in 1997) and it said that even if there was (is) global warming that it (your country) wasn't prepared to put tax emmissions.

The EU on the other hand - did sign up to Kyoto.
In addition the EU has long been in favour of protecting the eco-system.
Countries like Austria, the Scandinavia countries and now the rest of the EU have put in place taxation upon the industry which threatens the envoironment.
The EU has decided to reduce carbon emmission by 20% : it has also raised taxes significantly on industries who's processes cause threatening waste.

I am sure that a lot of Americans have cut back tremendously, which is great.
It's just a pity that the US goverment doesn't take more of a lead on this.

MountainPro said:
exactly...who is it..?

lets just say its the bad guys...
Well of course. The bad guys are to blame for everything don't you know.

davidmc said:
Yes you can...when you are hypocrite....you can complain about everyone else but never look at yourself.

That's why so many people are hypocrites....it's practically a religion.....and apparently very very popular over in Europe.

:rolleyes:

limerickman said:
I agree this is a problem which faces all of mankind.

However, lets look at what Stern says : the responsibility for the cauase of carbon emmission is heavy industry, followed by automobile usage, followed by short haul air travel.

Your country opposed the Kyoto Treaty. Your country stated that it did not accept the science that says there was global warming (in 1997) and it said that even if there was (is) global warming that it (your country) wasn't prepared to put tax emmissions.

The EU on the other hand - did sign up to Kyoto.
In addition the EU has long been in favour of protecting the eco-system.
Countries like Austria, the Scandinavia countries and now the rest of the EU have put in place taxation upon the industry which threatens the envoironment.
The EU has decided to reduce carbon emmission by 20% : it has also raised taxes significantly on industries who's processes cause threatening waste.

Limerick...the US didn't sign Kyoto for a reason. It was a BS treaty that allowed some countries to continue polluting unabated and required the US to shoulder an inordinate amount of pollution controls.

China is the prime example...Kyoto would allow China to continue expanding and polluting yet require the US to pull back. It wouldn't reduce pollution...it would simply shift it and allow China unfettered growth.

Complete BS.

limerickman said:
Too bad we didn't listen to V.P. Gore (Tennessee). incidentally, I just heard the rebroadcast of Pres. Clinton's speech in Tennessee endorsing the Democratic candidate there. He said that a country needs to retool its entire industry every 3-5 yrs. He specifically mentioned clean, domestically produced fuel It would eliminate our funding & borrowing from unstable/morally dubious states (I won't mention these countries, some are in Asia, S. America, Middle east ect...) create millions of higher paying jobs, lower the debt hence lower interest rates, ect...This is however not entirely plausable when a country has an oil-man in the executive branch. So ,stern is raising important points I stand by the assertion that it would be nice if other 2nd world countries abided by it also.