Climate Change : Tony Blair : Stern Report

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
Today the Blair goverment published the economic report - ground breaking report in my opinion - published by Sir Nicholas Stern quantifying the cost of carbon emmission reductions and the potential cost of not reducing existing carbon/green house emmissions.

The conclusions of this report are essential reading for everyone on this planet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6096594.stm?lsf

limerickman said:
Today the Blair goverment published the economic report - ground breaking report in my opinion - published by Sir Nicholas Stern quantifying the cost of carbon emmission reductions and the potential cost of not reducing existing carbon/green house emmissions.

The conclusions of this report are essential reading for everyone on this planet.

Yes. I heard it on our public radio this a.m. He said that if we continue at our current rate of Co2 emissions would bring on a global disaster both environmentally &, consequentally; economically (reminiscent of our "Great Depression"). It is worth noting that he indicated that it would occur in our lifetime.

davidmc said:
Yes. I heard it on our public radio this a.m. He said that if we continue at our current rate of Co2 emissions would bring on a global disaster both environmentally &, consequentally; economically (reminiscent of our "Great Depression"). It is worth noting that he indicated that it would occur in our lifetime.
Australia is being disappointingly (in my opinion) reticent in signing up to the Kyoto Accord. The basis appears to be the short-term negative economic impact. Good to see that we care so little about our children's children that, even in the midst of an economic boom, we are not prepared to make any sacrifices.
It would be good if the talk was on the positve side, with carbon-credits being seen as a way of absolving our collective guilt, but it appears that we have no room for leeway. Oh, well, might as well carry on with building that wall to keep the rising seas out.

limerickman said:

Blair! is he using the same inteligence the that got the coalition of the willing into iraq and the **** that its in now! Blair a boy calling wolf!.It would be more believable if it was comming from some one else.Yes global warming is happening, though i would belive anything Blair has to say.

EoinC said:
Australia is being disappointingly (in my opinion) reticent in signing up to the Kyoto Accord. The basis appears to be the short-term negative economic impact. Good to see that we care so little about our children's children that, even in the midst of an economic boom, we are not prepared to make any sacrifices.
It would be good if the talk was on the positve side, with carbon-credits being seen as a way of absolving our collective guilt, but it appears that we have no room for leeway. Oh, well, might as well carry on with building that wall to keep the rising seas out.
Other countries in the world pumping **** into the air that arnt signituries to the protcol and couldnt give a rats about signing anything.Australia's polution is less than most countries, solar energy wind energy,polution laws ect are being used here.A signed piece of paper isnt going to solve global warming for 3rd world economies becuse they cant afford to make the modifications to there factorys, save them bricks for the 'wall'.

Conspiracy Theory Fans Unite!

First world countries are jumping on the band wagon due to the rise of CHINA.

They want to put a brake to China's Current Account Surplus.

cyclist2 said:
It would be more believable if it was comming from some one else.Yes global warming is happening, though i would belive anything Blair has to say.
It is coming for someone else, Stern. Read the report, Blair is the mouthpiece.

cyclist2 said:
Blair! is he using the same inteligence the that got the coalition of the willing into iraq and the **** that its in now! Blair a boy calling wolf!.It would be more believable if it was comming from some one else.Yes global warming is happening, though i would belive anything Blair has to say.
Blair didn't prepare it, this guy did:
Sir Nicholas Stern, a distinguished development economist and former chief economist at the World Bank, is not a man given to hyperbole.

Nicholas Stern has been interviewed on BBC, SKY etc.
Stern was commissioned by the Blair goverment to bring together the latest scientific data and to quantify - by way of economic analysis - the cost/benefit of greenhouse carbon emmissions and our failure to respond to same.

davidmc said:
Blair didn't prepare it, this guy did:
'this guy' did prepare it, does not mean its accurate.
The truth or conspisry or parranoiya take your pick.Scientists arround the world are often told to produce information to suit thier masters. All individuals have responsiblity to look after the place.The public are more inteligent than the beurocrats treat us.

limerickman said:
Nicholas Stern has been interviewed on BBC, SKY etc.
Stern was commissioned by the Blair goverment to bring together the latest scientific data and to quantify - by way of economic analysis - the cost/benefit of greenhouse carbon emmissions and our failure to respond to same.
deaf ears lim, deaf ears...

the UK produces 2% of the worlds carbon emissions, we can reduce that but its a drop in the ocean.

we all know who is responsible for putting money before the planet...it isnt the UK or Ireland...

MountainPro said:

the UK produces 2% of the worlds carbon emissions, we can reduce that but its a drop in the ocean.

we all know who is responsible for putting money before the planet...it isnt the UK or Ireland...

Agreed.

And in fairness Pro - Britains' carbon emmissions levels have dropped since early 1990's.

I opposed Blair's view (especially on Iraq) but I do think that he's genuinely wants to put a plan in place to tackle climate change.

limerickman said:
Agreed.

And in fairness Pro - Britains' carbon emmissions levels have dropped since early 1990's.

I opposed Blair's view (especially on Iraq) but I do think that he's genuinely wants to put a plan in place to tackle climate change.
Blair believes wholeheartedly that global warming exists and is prepared to do something about it...Bush is an idiot and ignores the warnings, i know who i would rather have on my pub quiz team...

MountainPro said:
Blair believes wholeheartedly that global warming exists and is prepared to do something about it...Bush is an idiot and ignores the warnings, i know who i would rather have on my pub quiz team...
this is the most important topic ever to be brought up in a message board, greater than the poverty of 3rd world countries, greater that war where inncoents die...

notice despite its seriousness that it has been underwhelmed with responses?

MountainPro said:
this is the most important topic ever to be brought up in a message board, greater than the poverty of 3rd world countries, greater that war where inncoents die...

notice despite its seriousness that it has been underwhelmed with responses?
Is this the Campy vs. Shimano thread :confused: :D

cyclist2 said:
Other countries in the world pumping **** into the air that arnt signituries to the protcol and couldnt give a rats about signing anything....
...Others (USA, India, China...) are (much) worse than us, therefore we shouldn't take a lead? Other Nations conduct torture, therefore we shouldn't sign anything to say that we won't? If we are not prepared to take a (belated) lead, we don't actually sound very developed at all. We actually sound more like a spoilt child who is not prepared to take responsibility for the standard of living we enjoy.
cyclist2 said:
...Australia's polution is less than most countries, solar energy wind energy,polution laws ect are being used here...
...Therefore it should be fairly easy for us to be able to commit. In addition to all the 'good' work that we do, we also do plenty of harm, and have plenty of room to improve. It appears strange to me that many large companies are embracing the carbon-credit approach, but our Government is scared off by it.
cyclist2 said:
...A signed piece of paper isnt going to solve global warming for 3rd world economies becuse they cant afford to make the modifications to there factorys, save them bricks for the 'wall'.
...I don't think anyone has claimed that signing a piece of paper is going to solve global warning for anyone. It is a reference point only. Signing pieces of paper doesn't 'solve' wars, or anything else, but it does provide a reference point from which everyone can judge the behaviour of themselves and others. Have a look around at other agreements / co-operations that are in place, and see how hard those Countries on the 'outer' work to become one of the 'inner' (eg. Turkey's efforts to join the EC).
The 3rd World Countries can make improvements with support (eg. as Malaysia has reduced / restricted logging of primary forest through a combination of pressure and incentives).
One thing is for sure - As long as 1st World Countries, such as Australia and the USA, refuse to be held accountable for their contributions, it is very difficult for anyone to point fingers at others for their lack of response and commitment in accepting any responsibility for the condition of the planet.
I work in the industry involved in pumping hydrocarbons out of the ground as fast as we can, and my work takes me to quite a few 3rd World Countries (I'm currently at home in Perth taking a break before heading back to West Africa). We (1st World Countries) are raping and pillaging the World's resources, whilst making only token gestures towards recognising the problems of the future. I'm a part of the problem - we all are. Whilst I continue working at depleting the World's resources so that we can all enjoy our carefree lifestyles (supply and demand), I am also working to reduce my personal contribution to the problem - possibly more guilt-assuaging, than stellarly effective, but it is a start.
We need to stop waiting for the USA to take the lead on everything. We should have big enough cajones to pave the way. It's called leading by example.

EoinC said:
We need to stop waiting for the USA to take the lead on everything. We should have big enough cajones to pave the way. It's called leading by example.
Agreed. China, India, Mexico, ect...have some responsibility too, no :confused: The U.S.'s energy sector is making progress especially in the area of new construction. Their emissions must meet the new standards from the beginning. Retro-fitting is where a goodly portion of the problem lies.

EoinC said:
...Others (USA, India, China...) are (much) worse than us, therefore we shouldn't take a lead? Other Nations conduct torture, therefore we shouldn't sign anything to say that we won't? If we are not prepared to take a (belated) lead, we don't actually sound very developed at all. We actually sound more like a spoilt child who is not prepared to take responsibility for the standard of living we enjoy.
...Therefore it should be fairly easy for us to be able to commit. In addition to all the 'good' work that we do, we also do plenty of harm, and have plenty of room to improve. It appears strange to me that many large companies are embracing the carbon-credit approach, but our Government is scared off by it.
...I don't think anyone has claimed that signing a piece of paper is going to solve global warning for anyone. It is a reference point only. Signing pieces of paper doesn't 'solve' wars, or anything else, but it does provide a reference point from which everyone can judge the behaviour of themselves and others. Have a look around at other agreements / co-operations that are in place, and see how hard those Countries on the 'outer' work to become one of the 'inner' (eg. Turkey's efforts to join the EC).
The 3rd World Countries can make improvements with support (eg. as Malaysia has reduced / restricted logging of primary forest through a combination of pressure and incentives).
One thing is for sure - As long as 1st World Countries, such as Australia and the USA, refuse to be held accountable for their contributions, it is very difficult for anyone to point fingers at others for their lack of response and commitment in accepting any responsibility for the condition of the planet.
I work in the industry involved in pumping hydrocarbons out of the ground as fast as we can, and my work takes me to quite a few 3rd World Countries (I'm currently at home in Perth taking a break before heading back to West Africa). We (1st World Countries) are raping and pillaging the World's resources, whilst making only token gestures towards recognising the problems of the future. I'm a part of the problem - we all are. Whilst I continue working at depleting the World's resources so that we can all enjoy our carefree lifestyles (supply and demand), I am also working to reduce my personal contribution to the problem - possibly more guilt-assuaging, than stellarly effective, but it is a start.

Well said Eoin.

The fact of the matter is that climate change and our response to it - is now down to a specific timeframe.
If we don't act NOW - the damage that carbon emmissions/greenhouse gases do NOW, will be irreparable.

There are vested in interests - who's only objective is short term profit - who try to suggest that climate change is a lie.
Climate change isn't a lie : it's a fact.

The only discussion should be how do we reduce our carbon emmissions.
This is down to individual behaviour.
We can all do our bit to reduce carbon emmissions by using less electricity, by reducing the number of times we use our cars, by reducing the number of times we travel by aeroplane.

Whether we like it or not, carbon allowances on an individual basis, will come in to effect.
This means that peoples "carbon usage" will be measured.

MountainPro said:

Who is it?