Climbing Fargo Street on a Unicycle - 32% grade!

unigeezer

Oct 1, 2009
It had been two years since entering my first ever Fargo hill climb event, and I returned, on 3/24/13, in an attempt to successfully climb the massive 32% grade monster hill again. As it turns out, I had/have a fractured rib, sustained as a result of a drop while riding MUni last week. Up until yesterday I wasn’t sure if I would be physically able to even attempt the climb, but the pain was all but gone this morning so I decided to go for it!

I ended up doing THREE climbs, with the first two counting as official. Although I finished the third climb, I momentarily dismounted to avoid a collision with bike. The first two climbs were done earlier before the hill got overly congested with participants. I was told again today that I’m still the first and only person to successfully climb this monster hill on a unicycle in the event's 30+ year history! I’m pretty proud of that.

So this makes 4 official climbs; two for this event and two at the 2011 event. Plus three more training rides made to the top. This video includes *both* climbs and both descents, plus a couple of fun interviews. The guy who filmed the second climb held the camera steadier and is a better depiction of the steepness. Hope you enjoy.

Wow! Much respect my friend! What was up with the guy on the mountain bike zig-zagging up the hill in his lowest granny gear? Seems like he should have been able to take that hill straight up with that low of a gear. But then again, 32% incline is a monster!

Thanks for the replies! @Steve: I have no low gear at all! It's pure 1:1 all the way, which is how I like it...it's harder that way! :)

Originally Posted by unigeezer .

Thanks for the replies! @Steve: I have no low gear at all! It's pure 1:1 all the way, which is how I like it...it's harder that way! :)
What is your wheel diameter and your crank length?

Originally Posted by jpr95 .

What is your wheel diameter and your crank length?
24" alienation "deviant rim
Kenda k-rad 24 x 2.3 tire
165mm ISIS drive cranks
Exceed Titanium hub (ISIS)
7005 T6 Aluminum frame
Carbon fiber saddle base
Carbon fiber "death grip" lift handle
Thomson seatpost
Hope qr collar
Magura hydraulic rim brake for the (easy) ride back down!

Finally got around to watching the video. I like the punny motto on the helmet! I wish the hill were closer so that I could take a crack at it. I have a couple hills near me that are pretty steep, and on Strava, they show the steepest sections to be close to 30%, but the overall slope (both hills are about 0.2 miles long) is probably more like 8-10%. I wish I knew a surveyor...