Climbing Mt. Haleakala, Hawaii

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by snyper0311, Jan 27, 2005.

1. snyper0311

snyper0311 New Member

My brother-in-law lives in Maui and I was thinking of taking my bike over this summer to CLIMB Mt. Haleakala. This climb has been reguarded as one of the most diffucult climbs around, you go from sea level to 10K feet in elevation. I was wondering if anyone has done it and what I should expect. I live in Colorado and do a lot of climbing on my training rides, so I was wondering how much more training I need to do to be ready for this climb. Any personal experiances would be great!

Thanks! :D

Tags:

2. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Ran across a story about a rider climbing it. That has always been a dream of mine. We have great climbs here in Italy, but nothing similar!

Google it and you will find that you are not the first crazy person to think about climbing it.

And there is, of course, a race to get to the top:

http://www.cycletothesun.net/

A few links I found:
    http://www.diablocyclists.com/RiderTips/Reports/Haleakala.htm
    http://actcarchive.home.att.net/hlk00_da.htm

Do your research, train, climb the dang thing, and post the story please!

3. robb42

robb42 New Member

I did it last summer --- it really wasn't that difficult IMO. It's about 30 miles from the ocean (at Haiku), and took about 3-4 hours (can't remember exactly). There aren't many real steep parts, it's just long.

The great part is getting near the top and having all the car-riders cheering you and/or looking at you in amazement.

The views are stellar, if the weather's good.

There's a company on Maui called "Go Cycling Maui" ( <http://www.gocyclingmaui.com/>) that leads rides up Haelakala and elsewhere. I highly recommend them -- that's who I rode with with. The leader (Donnie Arnault) is a former racer and really nice guy. They supply titanium litespeed road bikes, you bring your pedals and shoes.

Good luck!

4. Miagi

Miagi New Member

I went to hawaii 2 summers ago. I think I went up this hill (in a car) hahaha. However, this summer i'm bringing my bike along to tackle it. What days are you going? We'll movtivate eachother if it so happens that we go in the same 1-2weeks. I'm going mid july.

5. snyper0311

snyper0311 New Member

I plan on going in early to mid June. My wife is a school teacher and will be teaching summer school, so we have to go in between sessions. Last time I was there, I went to the winery which is about half way up the volcano. It really motivated me to try it. After all, the climbs here seemed ten times steaper. I have heard some war stories about 23% grades. I was jsut wondering if any others ahve done it and what they thought about the climb. Good luck to you in your climb! I'll leave a powerbar and beer in the bushes for you! :) :) :)

6. Miagi

Miagi New Member

I'll be looking for it lol. You should come to pittsburgh. I believe our hardest grade is 29%

7. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

I realize this is an old Post, so I may be too late..BUT I climbed Haleakala yesterday, I was very lucky with the weather untill about 2 minutes after reaching the summit (10023ft), a big cloud came along and I was stuck in a dense Fog, it then started raining heavily so I couldn't ride back down...it was just too dangerous, almost zero visibilty, wet/narrow roads and people driving up and down...so I missed the reward...

My Wife was waiting at the top so we DROVE down...which is the opposite thing all the sane people do...

I started at the Junction of the 36 hwy and Haleakala road, there was a strong headwind all the way to the actual climb...

All I can say is you just need plenty of patience and tenacity, it would have been easier on my six13 with the 29/36 Cassette I bought for this event but decided to leave the Bike at home...I rented a Cannondale but it had a 12/25 so most of the time I just couldn't keep up my prefered Cadence of around 85-90....

Once my HR was up in the red I decided to stop and take 10-15 minute breaks...hey, I'm on vacation and still have a few Days to go!!

My advice to anyone planning on attempting this is:

1. Take plenty of Food (Energy Bars, or whatever you prefer)
    2. Plenty of Water, and stop at the sunrise (I think it's called) to re-stock because that's your last chance.
    3. Try not to look up, you'll see the road above at certain points zig-zag up into the clouds...
    4. Start early (I started a little late at 8am)
    5. Spin, spin, spin and spin some more...it's not just 36 miles...it's a looooong 36 miles...

To give you some encouragement, I turned 50 in January, I'm 200Lbs and only rode around 3500 miles last year...so if *I* can do it....

Incidentaly, Maui isn't a good place to ride IMHO...the Traffic is BAD!! Plus, south of Lahaina on the 30 hwy you have to ride through a narrow Tunnel accompanied by fast 18 wheelers and crazy tourists in their Convertibles...(We're in Lahaina)...I'll take the PCH back home any day thank you!! Maybe because I'm just used to it...

Good luck and Mahalo!!

8. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Congratulations! :cool: Climbing Mt. Haleakala is a dream of mine (as is a trip to Hawaii!).

One day... one day!

9. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

well in the meantime Pete, you're stuck in Italy with the bad weather, terrible scenery, awful food and ugly women...

10. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

ROTFL. Touché. :D

11. snyper0311

snyper0311 New Member

Good Job! I also rode up as planned. All I can say is, it was fun! This is something we can claim for the rest of our lives. I started at 0500 from Lahaina (that's where my Brother in Law Lives) and finished my climb 8 hours later. I DID get the chance to ride down and it was F-U-N. I plan on doing it again this summer. On the way down, I met my wife and kid at the winery for a bottle of the pineapple chardany. From there, packed the bike in the back of the rental and drove down to the Ritz Carlton for an early dinner. Hopefully, I can meet some of you on the next climb!
    Good Job!

12. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

Thanks Powerful!
    Hope you get there one Day!!

13. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

Wow!! You started from Lahaina? That's a long way from Haleakala, fantastic!! and 8 hrs is a great time...

We're coming back here for Christmas, so if you're here then I'll see you.
    Hopefully next time I'll beable to ride DOWN!! I think once we Climbed UP we deserve it, don't you?
    I've had a few nice Rides here plus I found a nice Coffee Shop for a mid-ride break...

Last week we drove the "Road to Hana", we saw a couple of MTB'ers, it was pouring rain, it looked really tough..then we stopped in Hana for a couple of hours and saw them again...Helmets off to them!! Maui certainly has it's share of challenging rides...it's not very nice riding on some of the main Coastal Roads though...there ARE bike lanes and the road surfaces are great, it's just the heavy traffic whizzing past that makes it a bit nerve racking at times...especially through the narrow Tunnel I mentioned in my previous Post....

14. snyper0311

snyper0311 New Member

During my last visit to the island, I heard of a biker getting run down on the road from the airport to Lahina. Form the sound of the newscaster, that seems to be a big problem with both bikes and motorcycles. From your posts, it sounds like you are a regular in Maui. Well, Christmas might be a plan for us also. I'm from Colorado so my wife and kid would like to do the "island Christmas" this year. Keep me posted, maybe we can do the climb together!

Mark

15. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

It's really amazing, it doesn't seem like safety is a big concern over here as you've probably noticed, they turn anyone loose on a cheap MTB or what looks like Beach Cruisers, they rent Scooters, nobody wears a Helmet, in fact, I saw a couple riding through a Parking lot, he stopped, she didn't...you can guess what happened...:eek: I read that on average, there is an accident involving a Bicycle every 2 1/2 Days on average coming down Haleakala...in fact, I just found this...
    http://starbulletin.com/98/11/24/news/story6.html

If we could work something out for Christmas that would be great, it would be nice to have someone to chat with on the way up...

Cheers then!!

16. snyper0311

snyper0311 New Member

From the looks of that article, a lot of people get hurt. I don't see how more accidents are reported. Like the article said, it's no country road ride. That booger gets steep. Too many people not taking responsibility for their actions. I'll keep in touch and let you know about what time we plan on going out. It would be great to have a riding partner for that climb. I don't know if I'll be doing much talking, more like gasping.

17. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

I hope I didn't mislead you, I'm NOT a great climber, I'm 50 and 25Lbs overweight, I try and ride a lot but still eat too much, I'm a normal Guy...so the name of the game for me is just to get to the top or finish a Century etc...
    I plan on riding for another 25 years... ;) hopefully..so I'm trying to preserve my Knees and all the other stuff I'll need to carry me through...

I met a Guy last month at the Palm Springs Century and he is 81 !!!! He was telling me his wife bought him a new Road Bike for his 74th Birthday...he said he rides 200+ a week...he impressed me more than any rider I've ever known..including the Pro's!! :)

But yeah, it would be great to have someone to ride up with...and hopefully down next time if the weather behaves... :mad:

18. ord2san

ord2san New Member

I agree with robb42. IMHO, Haleakala is just very long but not difficult. The grade is rather constant so you can get in a comfortable speed. Wind was a bigger problem. Mt. Ventoux is much, much harder.

19. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

Have a look at this climb: http://www.salite.ch/scanuppia.htmNow thats hard!!!!
    Couple of pictures along with the profile, not a very good quality road and I think maybe a 30 - 30 gear set might be required for the 45% section......

20. snyper0311

snyper0311 New Member

Where the 4377 is that climb located? Looks fun! I like to try climbing steep grades on my road bike. There are some good climbs around here, but damn, that looks like it would hurt!