Climbing on a Single speed?

Marx SS

Jun 8, 2004
I’m kinda new to the whole single speed thing. I recently dropped my deraileurs & the mess of chainwheels on my ’90 Apollo MTB Everest commuter for a 44/18, run Specialized Hiemsphere tyres 26x2.00. Mostly do the paved paths & light trails around Melbourne-town (Aust) to/from work & maybe run up to my folks/mates/shops when the GF bags the car keys.
Do 35km odd a day.

Getting up hills when you know the top is OK ,but if you’re on something new & hook a corner to face another kick-up in gradient, is there any better way to get the pedals over while keeping that steeliy balance & poise?
I try to weave about while I’m out of the saddle, side to side, trying to keep the tyres rolling, rowing away at the ‘bars.
But is there a better way?

Is spinning fast on the downhill after a knee-buster a good thing to do?

Marx SS said:
Getting up hills when you know the top is OK ,but if you’re on something new & hook a corner to face another kick-up in gradient, is there any better way to get the pedals over while keeping that steeliy balance & poise?
I try to weave about while I’m out of the saddle, side to side, trying to keep the tyres rolling, rowing away at the ‘bars.

Is spinning fast on the downhill after a knee-buster a good thing to do?

The more you ride ss the stronger climber you'll be. Basically it is simply a case of getting stronger and grinding up the hills. Don't rock the bike too much just focus on putting as much force into the pedal stroke as possible.

Spinning fast down hills is always good! :)

If you are REALLY struggling up hills, lower your gearing.

hippy

no real tricks, just try to focus on the full pedal stroke, pull up across and down each time, don't just stomp on the pedals, use as round a pedal stroke as possible (obviously the down is the emphasis of the stroke naturally). Weaving too much will probably take some of the momentum out of your forward movement so don't get too wild with it.

The downhill? Yeah, do whatever you want, spinning is a good thing. :)

Marx SS said:

try to avoid too much lateral movement. try to keep a good cadence. if you're stuggling on each stroke, try a lower gear. have you considered a flip-flop hub?

my ss climbing style can best be described as 'rhythmic.'

Relax and think about daisies, hamburgers, warehouses full of remaindered dancing girls. Try to adopt a bit of a dawdle to your pedal stroke, if not an outright hem-haw. Let the force be your guide, and remember F=m*a.