climbing simulation ideas needed

michaeltop

Jan 19, 2006
I am fortunate to live where I can train outside year round, only problem is that the highest point on the island is a short bridge that is only 100 ft high.

Any suggestions for intervals or workouts that will simulate climbing?

Or should I hit the weights?

How about riding with a 4x8 sheet of plywood strapped to your chest.:)

Or maybe a 53x11 combo on a MTB with 2.25 knobbies at about 25 psi.

In my experience its hard to simulate hills, as there is no cheating a hill. You have to work or you stop and fall over.

I don't envy your position.

Is it windy where you live? Working into strong head winds can be as demanding and relentless as good climbs.

My only other suggestion is to get a power meter and ride in a gear that equals the wattage you would be doing up a hill and sustain for 20 - 30 minutes (or however long the hills you want to simulate would take to climb). Recover and repeat.

I don't think doing weights rather than riding is going to make you a good climber.

Best.

Rhubarb said:
In my experience its hard to simulate hills, as there is no cheating a hill. You have to work or you stop and fall over.

I don't envy your position.

Is it windy where you live? Working into strong head winds can be as demanding and relentless as good climbs.

My only other suggestion is to get a power meter and ride in a gear that equals the wattage you would be doing up a hill and sustain for 20 - 30 minutes (or however long the hills you want to simulate would take to climb). Recover and repeat.

I don't think doing weights rather than riding is going to make you a good climber.

Best.
I am working on a training peaks program for 275w but that is not a lot of fun trying to hold 20 & 30 min at that level , seems more like racing more then work. I gather from the post on weights that more time on the bike is the way to go.

I was thinking power cranks might be the best alternate solution ?

Plywood might work but look a bit dorky bungied to my back.:eek:

michaeltop said:
I am working on a training peaks program for 275w but that is not a lot of fun trying to hold 20 & 30 min at that level , seems more like racing more then work. I gather from the post on weights that more time on the bike is the way to go.

I was thinking power cranks might be the best alternate solution ?

Plywood might work but look a bit dorky bungied to my back.:eek:

get a cheap indoor trainer, a couple of the spinerval dvd's on big gear strength or hillapolossa, then elevate the front of the bike 10%...........

michaeltop said:
I am fortunate to live where I can train outside year round, only problem is that the highest point on the island is a short bridge that is only 100 ft high.

Any suggestions for intervals or workouts that will simulate climbing?

Or should I hit the weights?

Buy (or rent) a large treadmill that can be inclined. Ride that. It's incredibly effective, and extremely motivating if you don't have a spotter (or your spotter leaves mid training session).

I'd imagine that hitting the weights would probably just hurt your hand (or whatever body part you use to hit them), and upset the weights - weights have feelings.

ric