clincher rim tire installation question

sam218

Sep 6, 2004
3 questions:

1) Are clinchers more easily installed on aero than box rims

2) In your experience which clincher/mavic rim combination are easy to install?

3) A mechanic said a tight clincher (continental) could be "installed" with tire levers. How is this done?

sam218 said:
3 questions:

3) A mechanic said a tight clincher (continental) could be "installed" with tire levers. How is this done?
Aero or box, makes no difference,but the depth of the spoke bed does.
Mayve www.parktool.com has the drill on levers in the repair section

sam218 said:
3 questions:

1) To my knowledge, no. The actual seating surface isn't going to be different in design between different clincher rims. I mean, there are subtle differences between models and makes, but generally, the style of the wheel (aero, box, low-profile) isn't related to the tire-mounting aspect.

2) Hmmm... well, people will have different answers here; there are so many different models and makes of tires and rims. I've found that Mavic's stock CPX rims and Michelins are easy; in fact, Michelins of all levels are super common and so are Mavics. I use Vredesteins on a pair of Ksyrium SSLs and I don't have too much trouble. I've had more problems with Shimano rims and tight tires.

3) Road rim/tire combos are often tight enough to require levers, or at least tight enough to make levers useful. I'd say combos which go on in a snap, lever free, are the exception. Sure, practice and hand-strength can make all the difference; you won't see too many top race mechanics fumbling with levers -- but you and me, we carry levers. No shame in that.

A full procedure will take up some space here... it's best to have someone show you. For starters, though, check out Park Tool's site. Some good basics there. Have fun!

sam218 said:
3 questions:

I agree with the first two post with regard to #1 and #2. Tire installation depends to a degree on the type of bead on the tire (wire, kevlar) and the tire material itself (nylon, rubber, kevlar, combination of these). Technique for the large part can only be gained through experience :D

I can install my Vittorias (Competition) without using levers. But I've had some tires before that cannot be done by hand. Here's how to 'use levers' when installing those damn tires: Seat half of the tire on the rim, with the other half still out and the with tube inside. Then, with the 'hooked' part of the lever, reach in under the open side and catch the rim. Pull up on the lever while assisting the tire onto the rim. Use another tire lever if necessary.

Hope it was clear enough for you.

Cheers!

There is something people do that makes the rims almost impossible to install tires on..

When they install new rim tape, they put it on top of the existing tape (two are better then one, right?) and this makes the spokes bed higher (less shallow) and then it is impossible to get a tire on..

and BTW, you shouldn't need tire irons to put a tire back on a rim.. you should be able to do it by hand.

sorebutt said:
and BTW, you shouldn't need tire irons to put a tire back on a rim.. you should be able to do it by hand.
You just haven't seen enough combinations to know better.

boudreaux said:
You just haven't seen enough combinations to know better.
I'd phrase it differently, but agreed. I've encountered a few modern road rim/tire combos for which levers aren't required -- always a pleasant surprise. But some combos aren't so sweet. I have no doubt that there's an elite breed of mechanics and racers in the world that can remove and throw-on any tire, on any rim, sans levers, but those guys are a rarity.

There are some pairings out there that can make any grown man or woman cry tears of frustration, levers or no. Some beads just pull so bloody tight over some rims that smashed knuckles and dented egos are an extreme likelihood. That is just the friggin' truth. One of the worst combinations I've ever encountered remains my old WH6500 rims and ProRace tires; made even my tough guy race mechanic buddies wince and scratch their heads.

That said, sorebutt, good point regarding extra rim tape. Probably a pretty easy blunder for a new rider to make, and one that's guaranteed to make the job 100% tougher.

I particularly almost lost a finger with Contis over Carbon Spinergies dammit that thing was tigh tho it seems to me that dismounting is somewhat easier than mounting.
I've attributed that to the high tolerances by which they are built as I never encunter such a problems with lower quality combos but actually could happend to any tire.
OTOH I've been able to mount kevlar beaded tires without levers, so it all depends on the mood of the rim;)

spinerguy said:
I particularly almost lost a finger with Contis over Carbon Spinergies dammit that thing was tigh tho it seems to me that dismounting is somewhat easier than mounting.
I've attributed that to the high tolerances by which they are built as I never encunter such a problems with lower quality combos but actually could happend to any tire.
OTOH I've been able to mount kevlar beaded tires without levers, so it all depends on the mood of the rim;)
Found I can install the Conti GP3000s on my Velomax rim without tools, and that is a bit of a surprise. Always needed a tool for the other wheels I've had.

I don't struggle, will pick up the plastic lever at the first sign of resistance. Haven't pinched a tube doing this since I was a kid with a screwdriver, so I don't understand all the dire warnings and macho stuff about not using the right tool for the job.

I can put Conti GPs (Kevlar bead) back on my Mavic Open Pros without a lever if I were so inclined; but there is no way in hell I could the put Michelin Carbons (Kevlar Bead) on to my Mistral rims by hand-alone before I would bust up some part of my anatomy.

dhk said:
.......... so I don't understand all the dire warnings and macho stuff about not using the right tool for the job.
Macho points are worth twice poseur' points and triple bling points.

boudreaux said:
Macho points are worth twice poseur' points and triple bling points.

OK, I have to admit that I did enjoy popping the tire back on in front of six guys standing around on a recent club ride. I can't outride most of them; maybe I can dazzle them with parlor tricks instead.