Clincher v Tubular - what's the difference

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by nitrous, Dec 8, 2004.

1. nitrous

nitrous New Member

What's the difference between clincher and tubular wheelsets. Is it simply the way the tyre attaches to the wheel? Can you use the same tyres/tubes on each?

cheers

Tags:

2. rhsnyder

rhsnyder New Member

For what its worth - here's my two cents:

Tubies glue onto the rim and clinchers use a lip on the rim (like a car rim) to attach the tire to the rim. Tubie rims are lighter because they don't have the rim lip.

Tufo makes a tubular tire that can be mounted on a clincher rim. I think Tufo is the only company that does.

As for the tires - Tubies run at a higher inflation pressure reducing contact patch and thus rolling resistance. Also, tubies have a rounder profile/cross section (like the difference between a car tire and a motorcycle tire) providing a more even ride when you’re not straight up on your bike.

I ride both clinchers and tubies. I love my tubies! The ride is so much smoother. I find tubies are no extra work, really. You need to plan when mounting a new tire - need to stretch the tires before mounting and let glue dry afterwards. The only real down side is, once one flats its pretty much junk. I know you can patch them or have the tube replaced - never really the same.

rhs

3. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Expensive junk,and pretty pointless if you don't race.

4. nitrous

nitrous New Member

Thanks for the replies guys,

So, from what I have gathered from the above posts, unless I'm racing (I'm not) use clinchers.

They appear to be easier to mount and change, no glue required.

Is that correct?

5. keydates

keydates New Member