Clincher vs. Tubular

rudycyclist

Mar 14, 2006
I've only ridden on tube wheels. Is it worth my money to switch to Clincher? Also, how do you change your tire or whatever? I guess I really don't know what clincher wheel is. Fill me in a bit!

rudycyclist said:
I've only ridden on tube wheels. Is it worth my money to switch to Clincher? Also, how do you change your tire or whatever? I guess I really don't know what clincher wheel is. Fill me in a bit!
Tires in which you replace the tube which fits inside a U shaped piece of rubber--such as what your Trek came with, are clinchers. Tires in which the tube is sewn inside of the casing and which are glued onto the rim are known as tubulars (or sometimes as sew-ups). See this link for clarification:

http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html

rudycyclist said:

You ride a $3000 bike and dont know a clincher from a tub?

Tubulars are generally considered better than clinchers. The rims are lighter, they apparently corner better, and the risk of a blowout is very low.

tubs are also faster and more comfortable :) i use tubs on the track but clinchers on the road....tubs are just too much hassle

xxamr_corpxx said:
Tubulars are generally considered better than clinchers. The rims are lighter, they apparently corner better, and the risk of a blowout is very low.
Ride-wise maybe. But owning them unless you are sponsored pro they are impractical. Besides, clincher technology nowadays have imporved so much that even the pro peloton have started using clinchers - erformance wise there is very little difference in ride between the best clinchers versus tubs.

Alot of people say tubulars are alot safer then clinchers. the story is if u get a blowout with your clinchers when your cornering hard, your goin down. no pinch flats too.

IEatRice4Dinner said:
Alot of people say tubulars are alot safer then clinchers. the story is if u get a blowout with your clinchers when your cornering hard, your goin down. no pinch flats too.

Tell that to Joseba Beloki who broke his pelvis, 2 ribs and colar bone after the glue holding his tubulars melted and his tubs slip off his rims. Horrific accident! That wont happen on a clincher. It is possible to have a blowout on tubs and clinchers. Pinch flats? only if you keep hittin those potholes or rocks on the road. Even a clicher with pinch flats will not cause that kind of accident.

hd reynolds said:
Pinch flats? only if you keep hittin those potholes or rocks on the road. Even a clicher with pinch flats will not cause that kind of accident.
I've hit a lot of pot holes and the only time I pinched a properly inflated clincher I toasted the rim as well. The only case where I've heard a convincing argument for tubulars being less prone to pinch flats was cyclocross. At the most recent US Nationals there was a lot of snow on the course and people were deflating to about 30psi to get traction.

DiabloScott said:
I've seen a zillion "clincher vs tubular" threads. This one is the most pathetic ever.

Yes but who asked you. Next time dont use exagerated words that makes you look like an idiot trying to sound like the cool guy in the forum. "a zillion... pathetic ever" jeez!!! :eek:

artmichalek said:
I've hit a lot of pot holes and the only time I pinched a properly inflated clincher I toasted the rim as well. The only case where I've heard a convincing argument for tubulars being less prone to pinch flats was cyclocross. At the most recent US Nationals there was a lot of snow on the course and people were deflating to about 30psi to get traction.

CSC tested/used ZIPP team cllincher wheelsets during the Paris-Roubaix. Not only did they survive without an incident of pinch flats but also got very positive feedback from their riders.

IEatRice4Dinner said:
My grandfather used to ride tubulars and swore up and down by them, stating the same thing, that if you flat you can keep riding until it's safe to stop. Maybe I just don't know how you'd re-glue a tire on the road, but I'd rather be able to fix the flat while I'm out and not risk damaging the rim trying to limp home.

tetsuryuu said:
My grandfather used to ride tubulars and swore up and down by them, stating the same thing, that if you flat you can keep riding until it's safe to stop. Maybe I just don't know how you'd re-glue a tire on the road, but I'd rather be able to fix the flat while I'm out and not risk damaging the rim trying to limp home.
you can ride an unglued tire to get home as well... you wouldent wanna hammer on it but u can ride it safely.

My 2 cents. I am going to start riding tubulars just as soon as I have a team car following behind me (on every ride I do) with a properly mounted spare waiting on me to get a flat.

I like tubulars more than clinchers personally, but as a med student I can't really afford to keep buying tubulars; especially with the crappy roads we have here in Baton Rouge. If you ask me I'll keep buying those $5 tubes and be able to replace them when I flat during a ride, instead of calling it a day because I don't want to mess with the glue.

Yeah, u can ride on it safely without it coming off, but if u dnt let the glue set for at least a few hours, taking hard corners aint a good idea.
IEatRice4Dinner said:
you can ride an unglued tire to get home as well... you wouldent wanna hammer on it but u can ride it safely.

are the tubular tires harder to find or more expensive to buy? and should there be a price difference between tubular and clincher wheels?

- high end tubulars and high end clinchers , are comparable for performance.