Clinchers and Tubulars

ddallam

Oct 4, 2003
I've never ridden anything but tubulars. As much as technology has changed, I'm wondering what I'm missing. Does anyone out there have the weight numbers, rim plus tubular versus rim plus tube plus clincher? It would seem that the hubs fall out of the weight equation and probably also the spokes, since presumably one could build a wheel either way with the same hubs and spokes. Just wondering how today's top clinchers compare in weight to yesterday's top wheels.

Tubulars are getting so hard to find one would think that they're truly inferior, yet I weigh 225 and actually wear out good tubulars before they flat. (Not true with cheap tubulars.) So much so that I never repair them, just trash them, or save them for a bad day project. There's no such thing as a pinch flat, you can ride a flat all the way home, they change easily, and I've never had one roll off. I have clinchers on another bike and they just don't feel as nice on the road. And wouldn't you think that a closed cross-section tubular rim inherently would allow for a stronger rim than an open cross-section clincher?

I was doing a long organized ride Sunday and a young guy remarked, "Oh my God, are those sew-ups!"

So what gives? Am I missing something? What's the consensus out there?

By the way. I ride Tufo S33 Specials now, and have never had a single flat. Ever. In thousands of miles. I actually quit carrying a spare. There's another weight savings for you.

Dave

ddallam said:
I've never ridden anything but tubulars. As much as technology has changed, I'm wondering what I'm missing. Does anyone out there have the weight numbers, rim plus tubular versus rim plus tube plus clincher? It would seem that the hubs fall out of the weight equation and probably also the spokes, since presumably one could build a wheel either way with the same hubs and spokes. Just wondering how today's top clinchers compare in weight to yesterday's top wheels.

Tubulars are getting so hard to find one would think that they're truly inferior, yet I weigh 225 and actually wear out good tubulars before they flat. (Not true with cheap tubulars.) So much so that I never repair them, just trash them, or save them for a bad day project. There's no such thing as a pinch flat, you can ride a flat all the way home, they change easily, and I've never had one roll off. I have clinchers on another bike and they just don't feel as nice on the road. And wouldn't you think that a closed cross-section tubular rim inherently would allow for a stronger rim than an open cross-section clincher?

I was doing a long organized ride Sunday and a young guy remarked, "Oh my God, are those sew-ups!"

So what gives? Am I missing something? What's the consensus out there?

By the way. I ride Tufo S33 Specials now, and have never had a single flat. Ever. In thousands of miles. I actually quit carrying a spare. There's another weight savings for you.

Dave

from what I´ve seen here tubs are going to be better tyres but if you are in an area where you are likely to puncture then the ease of repair of a clincher wins hands down - now we wait to see what happens with tubeless tyres .

Back in the day (late '80s) I had clinchers for training wheels because flats were easier and cheaper to deal with, and tubulars on my nicer racing wheels.

I still have those 2 bikes, but now I exclusively use the nice one including the old 'race' wheels. I only train tubulars now. I had my first flat last year and didn't bother to repair it; just replaced it.

The scuttle butt back then was that the best clinchers were exceeding the tubulars in rolling resistance (meaning LESS resistance) but I think the jury's still out. Good tubulars can go 180+psi which should be much less resistance than a 110psi clincher.

Tubulars always seem to corner better, is that still true? I can't say because I haven't ridden clinchers in 15+ years and never rode a really expensive one.

here's some numbers

Mavic kysirium wheels...

clinchers F 660g, R 840g tubular F 650g, R 830g

Tyres

veloflex Master 170g + Michelin air Comp latex tube 70g = 240g

Tubulars

veloflex service course 210g

So, the tubulars are a bit lighter...