Clip-in pedals. What's the difference?

Shocker33

Apr 16, 2013
Hi, I'm considering on purchasing some clip-in shoes for the first time. So i would obviously need some clip-in pedals. As you've probably noticed, i've made a similar topic but asking about the shoes. So my questions are exactly the same as what i asked for the shoes. What should i be looking for? Any certain features and/or technologies/designs? Apart from build quality, is there much difference in them between prices? So if i spent an extra £10-£20, would i actually see a difference? Also what is the difference between MTB and road clip-in pedals? Cheers for any help in advance.

Mainly, you're going to choose between road and MTB pedals. The advantage of MTB pedals is a shoe with a sole that you can easily walk on. The advantages of road pedals is lighter weight, a more supportive platform under the foot, more cornering clearance, and a shoe that usually has a stiffer sole.

Beyond that, we can argue endlessly about the advantages and disadvantages of individual brands and models. I'll just say that there are no dogs, but I've had durability problems with Time RXS and lightweight Forte (Performance house brand) road pedals. Also, some house- and off-brand MTB pedals use proprietary cleat patterns, which means you might need to special order replacements. All cleats wear out.