Clip on aero bars on Bontrager Carbons?

danmadone

Mar 1, 2006
Hello everyone! This is my first post and I have several questions: Is it acceptable to put clip on aero handlebars on my stock Trek Madone 5.9SL's Bontrager Race X Lite carbon bars? I do know that some carbon bars are approved for clip on aero bars, and I don't want to do anything dangerous.

Secondly, what size frame would you have suggested to someone six feet tall, 33 inseam and 34 shirt size (in the Trek system).

Thanks everyone!

danmadone said:
Hello everyone! This is my first post and I have several questions: Is it acceptable to put clip on aero handlebars on my stock Trek Madone 5.9SL's Bontrager Race X Lite carbon bars? I do know that some carbon bars are approved for clip on aero bars, and I don't want to do anything dangerous.

Secondly, what size frame would you have suggested to someone six feet tall, 33 inseam and 34 shirt size (in the Trek system).

Thanks everyone!
I wouldnt. And I'd go with a 58.

danmadone said:

Thanks everyone!
I have carbon bars and use clip on aero bars also. I havent had any problems yet. but im also a newbie to the sport. So if im doing somehting dangerous here please let me know. As for the size of the bike id go 58-60 cm. I have a 58 and im 6'1 sometimes i wish i had gone for the 60cm but its not to bad. i recently got the bike resized to me and the guys at the shop told me i was fine with the 58. After the sizeing the bike sure feels alot betterwhen im on it.

I went with the 60cm. I owned a 60cm 5200 and rode it for 3000 miles, and test rode a 58cm. The cockpit is essentially the same on either bike, but I didn't like the "twitchier" feel of the 58cm. I was just wondering what everyone thought...