Clip on aero-bars...recommendations??

biker801

Jan 23, 2011
I am still feeling the need to stretch out during my rides. ? I recently swithched out my stem to 110mm and that worked for a while but now I feel like I need more. Is this normal????? Anyway, I thought I would try out some aero-bars for a temporary stretch (and to add an additional position change throughout riding). Any good recommendations? I will post a pic of my bike. I would like to spend under $300 if possible, but open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Gaining flexibility is normal. Eventually you may want to try removing some spacers from the stem and lower your bars a bit as that'll extend your torso, too.

Also, do you find the seat comfortable that way? It looks really nose-up.

It does look nose up in that pic. But no, my seat is about as level as I can get it. Anyone have experience with Hed Clip Lite? They look good, maybe I'll give them a shot

Originally Posted by biker801 .

but open to any suggestions.
I think your bike looks fine with out them. But if you need them, bolt 'em on and ride....ride hard and fast. This bloke didn't, but he's slow so it don't matter!

Your seat should be level, also make sure you can breath properly while your using those bars.

Thanks for the advice. Yes they do look like they take some getting used to when riding. I am actually wanting the bars for more variety on longer rides. I did my first 70 miles on Saturday, and the same 2 positions get a bit monotonous IMO. I tried resting my forearms in the center of the bar (much like that picture you posted) and it felt pretty good. Minus the feeling of the front of the seat going up my ass (and yes it is level! ). But I guess I need to figure out the details when I get the bars on.

Back to the subject, any recommendations?

Originally Posted by biker801 .

Back to the subject, any recommendations?
Profile Designs T1+ or T2+ clip on bars depending on whether you like S or ski bend designs (ski bends tend to be more comfortable). They're easy to mount, have wide adjustment range for pad height, fore aft position and bar reach and they're reasonably priced.

Originally Posted by daveryanwyoming .

Profile Designs T1+ or T2+ clip on bars depending on whether you like S or ski bend designs (ski bends tend to be more comfortable). They're easy to mount, have wide adjustment range for pad height, fore aft position and bar reach and they're reasonably priced.
Indeed, the T2+ Cobras are quite nice and are often on sale if you look around. They aren't the lowest bars around, but given that you have a full stack of spacers under your bars, that shouldn't really be a concern.

Also, there are a lot more than two positions on the bars. Tops of the hoods with a regular grip, flat against the hoods (like you're pushing them out without wrapping your fingers and your forearms flat on the bars themselves), just behind the hoods but before the bends, the bends, hands on the flats, invisible aerobars on both the elbows and forearms, deep in the drops (like you're shiting), half way back in the drops, and ends of the drops. Move your hands around a bit more and try them out.

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= #333333]I suggest you borrow some clip ons and ride with them before buying any. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= #333333]Areo bars are massive and completely change the dynamics of a bike. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= #333333]Unless you are going to be riding alone and on level ground a lot, its pro--bably not for you. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= #333333]Same with the Menorah (bottle cage that attaches to, and protrudes from, rear of seat post). [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Those look trick! Post some pics when you get them installed.

(Btw, $300 for handlebars! This sport is worse than motorcycles.)

Here they are! By the way, to anyone considering these. Get them. Or just a set of aero bars in general. I have done just two 30 mile rides with these, and I couldn't live without them. I love the aggressive position they give. And it is quite comfortable believe it or not. I was originally looking for just an alternate position for when I was tired of the usual positions. But I now find myself using the bars, whenever I can safely do so. They are awesome.