Clip-on aerobars on tapered handlebar

hmronnow

Aug 12, 2006
Does anyone have recommendations or soutions for adding clip-on aerobars to a handlebar, which tapers from 32mm in the center to 26mm quite far out towards the sides?

I recently bought a cervelo soloist team, and am very happy with it. However, I now realise that the supplied handlebar (FSA RD250) due to the tapering is not well suited for adding clip-on bars. This is kind of disappointing, considering that they advertise its supposed ability to 'convert' to a time-trial/tri bike by reversing the saddlepost (thereby achieving steeper angle).

- Is there a clip-on bar which still works well with this handle-bar?
- Has anyone experiences in fixing aerobars onto the tapered part using some home-made opposite tapered spacer?

Additional constraints is that I would like a clip-on bar, which is not too heavy, which can fold up for climbing, and which gives a rather narrow setup (i.e. sits close to the middle)

Thanks
Henrik

hmronnow said:
I recently bought a cervelo soloist team, and am very happy with it. However, I now realise that the supplied handlebar (FSA RD250) due to the tapering is not well suited for adding clip-on bars. This is kind of disappointing, considering that they advertise its supposed ability to 'convert' to a time-trial/tri bike by reversing the saddlepost (thereby achieving steeper angle).
Can't help with specifics, but if a 31.8 clip on is made, it's probably still a whole lot easier to switch your stem/bar to a 26.0mm setup - it will allow far more adjustability and more choices with such a bar.

It could quite possibly be cheaper, even with the expense of a new bar/stem, since you'll not have to search around for a 31.8 clip-on, and if you resell your existing parts, then you could certainly end up with minimal expenditure.

FWIW, most road frames can be turned into an 'instant' tri/TT frame by reversing the seatpost. It's not always ideal, but it is a very economical way to do it.

n

Update from Henrik (thread starter)

I bought the Profile Lightning Stryke and the Lava OS stem on which it mounts. Changing the stem is much easier than changing the handlebar.

Since this is my first aerobar, I cannot comment on whether it is a good bar.

What I can say is that technically the assembly works well, but a drawback is the inability to adjust the angle of the bar, which is fixed by the stem.
If pulling hard while punching the pedals, I can feel the bar flex, but I'do not have the feeling it would break.

ATB
Henrik

nerdag said:
FWIW, most road frames can be turned into an 'instant' tri/TT frame by reversing the seatpost. It's not always ideal, but it is a very economical way to do it.

n
what exactly do you mean by "reversing the seatpost"? Do you pull it out and put the top end back in first or do you simply rotate it 180 degrees.:confused: I'm trying to visualize this with my Thomson Elite and can't figure it out????

jrstevens said:
what exactly do you mean by "reversing the seatpost"? Do you pull it out and put the top end back in first or do you simply rotate it 180 degrees.:confused: I'm trying to visualize this with my Thomson Elite and can't figure it out????

Some of the Cervelo's come with a proprietary seat post that has a reversible head that does indeed flip 180 degrees.

jrstevens said:
Rotate 180deg, so that the "set back" is now "set forward". This effectively adds a few degrees to your seat tube angle, making it a bit steeper.

Only works if your post is a set back model, which the Elite you have many not be.

n

nerdag said:
Rotate 180deg, so that the "set back" is now "set forward". This effectively adds a few degrees to your seat tube angle, making it a bit steeper.

Only works if your post is a set back model, which the Elite you have many not be.

n
I see now. You didn't mention setback seatposts in your post but that makes sense. yes my Elite has no setback.

thanks for clarifying