Clip-on handlebars with least rise

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by John Forrest Tomlinson, Jun 29, 2004.

  1. I'm looking to buy a set of clip-on aero bars and a key issue for me
    is having the forearm pads as low as possible. What clip-ons have the
    least rise?

    JT

    Tags:

  2. In rec.bicycles.tech John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:
    : I'm looking to buy a set of clip-on aero bars and a key issue for me
    : is having the forearm pads as low as possible. What clip-ons have the
    : least rise?

    I've been keeping an eye out for the same thing. It seems some of the old
    Scott bars that you can find on eBay have the lowest profile. I was able to
    get even lower by making my own pads. I started with a Deda Clip-One which
    mounts separately from the pads and mounts under the handlebar so the
    aerobar itself is lower. Then I made some pads out of some 4" abs tubing,
    pipe clamps, t-nuts, and some neoprene, so the pads basically sit flush on
    my bartops. The other advantage is they're not as wide as the original
    pads, so I have more usable space on the bartops for my hands and computer.
    Also, I shaved 60 grams compared to the original pads :)

    - mark

  3. IMKen

    IMKen Guest

    I once modified some clip-ons by sawing off everything behind the clamp on
    a pair of Syntace C2's. I used a pair of arm rests from an old aero bar
    that the used the type that slip over the bar like a handle grip on a MTB.
    They are thick on top and quite thin on the bottom to reduce drag. Nice
    comfortable, stable and very low position as my forearms were only the
    thickness (1/2") of the foam rubber above the aero bar tubing. This also
    shaved a fair bit of weight. I would not want to use them for Ironman
    distance but did a half with no trouble. I assume you are looking for a
    good TT position.

    Ken @ Kauai