Clip-on Low Rider Racks

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Jon Rogers, Apr 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon Rogers

    Jon Rogers Guest

    Are they any good?

    I have a much loved old hybrid (Diamondback Camarillo) that is gradually turning into a tourer. I'm
    hoping to use it for camping in France or Germany later this year.

    My question is, are clip-on low-rider racks ok, or would I be better off trying to replace my
    existing cro-mo unicrown fork with a "low-rider ready" version?

    Many thanks

    --
    Jon
     
    Tags:


  2. M Series

    M Series Guest

    I have clip on low riders, they do their job[1], I'd have preferred to have bosses on the frame for
    neatness and if I ever get the bike re finished I'll get some fitted.

    I fitted mine in Santa Monica after riding across the US. I then did 1500 miles using the low riders
    and small Rhode Gear bags. I modified the low riders slightly by wrapping a small wire hook around
    the lower horizontal bar to which the bag was hooked to prevent it flapping.

    "Jon Rogers" <jon.rogers***REMOVE_THIS***@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    news:slrnbabip3.tda.jon.rogers***REMOVE_THIS***@viking.cathcart...
    > Are they any good?
    >
    > I have a much loved old hybrid (Diamondback Camarillo) that is gradually turning into a tourer.
    > I'm hoping to use it for camping in France or Germany later this year.
    >
    > My question is, are clip-on low-rider racks ok, or would I be better off trying to replace my
    > existing cro-mo unicrown fork with a "low-rider ready" version?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > --
    > Jon
     
  3. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Jon Rogers wrote:

    > My question is, are clip-on low-rider racks ok, or would I be better off trying to replace my
    > existing cro-mo unicrown fork with a "low-rider ready" version?

    If you mean things like Carradice Limpets then I don't know: never used them. However, a simple
    lowrider rack like the Bor Yueh that has U-loops to go around the fork and attach to work fine IME.
    I used one for years and never experienced a problem. Not as neat as one that attaches to eyelets
    and slightly more of a pain to fit, but certainly not something I'd replace forks over if they're
    otherwise okay.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/
     
  4. Si Davies

    Si Davies Guest

    "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Jon Rogers wrote:
    >
    > > My question is, are clip-on low-rider racks ok, or would I be better off trying to replace my
    > > existing cro-mo unicrown fork with a "low-rider ready" version?
    >
    > If you mean things like Carradice Limpets then I don't know: never used them. However, a simple
    > lowrider rack like the Bor Yueh that has U-loops to go around the fork and attach to work fine
    > IME. I used one for years and never experienced a problem. Not as neat as one that attaches to
    > eyelets and slightly more of a pain to fit, but certainly not something I'd replace forks over if
    > they're otherwise okay.
    >
    > Pete.
    > --
    > Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells
    > Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    > http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/
    >

    I have some carradice limpets and they seam to work fine on my 'race' bike (no low rider mounts or
    eyelets). Can't actually get that much in them but they hold it steady. Getting the bags on and off
    can be a bit of a faff though.
     
  5. Jon Rogers

    Jon Rogers Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Si Davies wrote:
    >
    > "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Jon Rogers wrote:
    >>
    >> > My question is, are clip-on low-rider racks ok, or would I be better off trying to replace my
    >> > existing cro-mo unicrown fork with a "low-rider ready" version?
    >>
    >> If you mean things like Carradice Limpets then I don't know: never used them. However, a simple
    >> lowrider rack like the Bor Yueh that has U-loops to go around the fork and attach to work fine
    >> IME. I used one for years and never experienced a problem. Not as neat as one that attaches to
    >> eyelets and slightly more of a pain to fit, but certainly not something I'd replace forks over if
    >> they're otherwise okay.
    >>
    >> Pete.
    >> --
    >> Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells
    >> Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    >> http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/
    >>
    >
    > I have some carradice limpets and they seam to work fine on my 'race' bike (no low rider mounts or
    > eyelets). Can't actually get that much in them but they hold it steady. Getting the bags on and
    > off can be a bit of a faff though.
    >
    Thanks to all who replied. It looks like I'll go for either the Bor Yueh (as it's cheap as chips,
    and so am I), or maybe a Blackburn.

    Tubus look interesting, but I'm not sure the price is justified.

    Cheers

    --
    (_) ___ _ __ _ __ ___ __ _ ___ _ __ ___
    | |/ _ \| '_ \ | '__/ _ \ / _` |/ _ \ '__/ __| (_) | | | |_| | | (_) | (_| | __/ | \__ \
    | |@ntlworld.com
    _/ |\___/|_| |_(_)_| \___/ \__, |\___|_| |___/
    |__/ |___/
     
  6. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 09:41:24 GMT, Jon Rogers <[email protected]_of.message> wrote:

    >Thanks to all who replied. It looks like I'll go for either the Bor Yueh (as it's cheap as chips,
    >and so am I), or maybe a Blackburn.

    I've got two Bor Yueh racks and both do a grand job. They seem very robust and I'd certainly
    recommend them as workhorse racks, especially considering the price.

    Bob
    --
    Mail address is spam trapped To reply by email remove the beverage
     
  7. Jon Rogers

    Jon Rogers Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Call me Bob wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 09:41:24 GMT, Jon Rogers <[email protected]_of.message> wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks to all who replied. It looks like I'll go for either the Bor Yueh (as it's cheap as chips,
    >>and so am I), or maybe a Blackburn.
    >
    > I've got two Bor Yueh racks and both do a grand job. They seem very robust and I'd certainly
    > recommend them as workhorse racks, especially considering the price.
    >
    >
    > Bob

    Thanks. Out of interest, what is the purpose of that loop thingy that goes over the top of the
    wheel? Some racks seem to have them, whilst others don't

    Just curious.

    --
    | |/ _ \| '_ \ | '__/ _ \ / _` |/ _ \ '__/ __| (_) | | | |_| | | (_) | (_| | __/ | \__ \
    | |@ntlworld.com
    _/ |\___/|_| |_(_)_| \___/ \__, |\___|_| |___/
    |__/ |___/
     
  8. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 16:11:24 GMT, Jon Rogers <[email protected]_of.message> wrote:

    >Thanks. Out of interest, what is the purpose of that loop thingy that goes over the top of the
    >wheel? Some racks seem to have them, whilst others don't

    Not sure really, I think it's just to do with rigidity. Some designs incorporate the loop to make
    the rack stiffer?

    Bob
    --
    Mail address is spam trapped To reply by email remove the beverage
     
  9. Call me Bob <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 16:11:24 GMT, Jon Rogers <[email protected]_of.message> wrote:
    >
    > >Thanks. Out of interest, what is the purpose of that loop thingy that
    goes
    > >over the top of the wheel? Some racks seem to have them, whilst others don't
    >
    > Not sure really, I think it's just to do with rigidity. Some designs incorporate the loop to make
    > the rack stiffer?
    >

    The ones with loops are attached at the fork-end and halfway up the outside of the fork. Without the
    loop they would not be rigid enough (and would thus break relatively soon). The ones without loops
    are also attached halfway up the inside of the fork. This extra attachment supplies the required
    rigidity, and the lack of a loop makes them that bit lighter.

    Andrew
     
  10. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Jon Rogers
    <[email protected]_of.message> writes
    >In article <[email protected]>, Si Davies wrote:
    >>
    >> "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >>> Jon Rogers wrote:
    >>>
    >>> > My question is, are clip-on low-rider racks ok, or would I be better off trying to replace my
    >>> > existing cro-mo unicrown fork with a "low-rider ready" version?
    >>>
    >>
    >Thanks to all who replied. It looks like I'll go for either the Bor Yueh (as it's cheap as chips,
    >and so am I), or maybe a Blackburn.
    >
    >Tubus look interesting, but I'm not sure the price is justified.
    >
    Tubus are now my racks of choice, certainly for a top quality rack.

    I've broken a Blackburn front lowrider (in the far west of Ireland - I had to get it fixed in
    monastery - they had a business doing marine engineering and were the only place for god knows how
    many miles to be able to weld Al) A cheapy Nimrod rear rack, and bent a Blackburn rear.

    For me I think they are worth the price, but I can see that fro someone else the balance would be
    elsewhere.
    --
    Chris French, Leeds
     
  11. In message <[email protected]>, chris French <[email protected]> writes
    >I've broken a Blackburn front lowrider (in the far west of Ireland - I had to get it fixed in
    >monastery - they had a business doing marine engineering and were the only place for god knows how
    >many miles to be able to weld Al) A cheapy Nimrod rear rack, and bent a Blackburn rear.

    LOL. 'God knows how many miles' when it was a monastery!
    --
    Michael MacClancy
     
  12. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Michael MacClancy
    <[email protected]> writes
    >In message <[email protected]>, chris French <[email protected]> writes
    >>I've broken a Blackburn front lowrider (in the far west of Ireland - I had to get it fixed in
    >>monastery - they had a business doing marine engineering and were the only place for god knows how
    >>many miles to be able to weld Al) A cheapy Nimrod rear rack, and bent a Blackburn rear.
    >
    >LOL. 'God knows how many miles' when it was a monastery!

    :) I didn't notice that.

    Very good they were too, cut, shaped and welded in a thick ally plate to replace the broken strut,
    gave me a cuppa and biccies and charged me a fiver.
    --
    Chris French, Leeds
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...