Clip-on Low Rider Racks

Jon Rogers

Guest
Are they any good?

I have a much loved old hybrid (Diamondback Camarillo) that is gradually turning into a tourer. I'm
hoping to use it for camping in France or Germany later this year.

My question is, are clip-on low-rider racks ok, or would I be better off trying to replace my
existing cro-mo unicrown fork with a "low-rider ready" version?

Many thanks

--
Jon

I have clip on low riders, they do their job[1], I'd have preferred to have bosses on the frame for
neatness and if I ever get the bike re finished I'll get some fitted.

I fitted mine in Santa Monica after riding across the US. I then did 1500 miles using the low riders
and small Rhode Gear bags. I modified the low riders slightly by wrapping a small wire hook around
the lower horizontal bar to which the bag was hooked to prevent it flapping.

Jon Rogers wrote:

> My question is, are clip-on low-rider racks ok, or would I be better off trying to replace my
> existing cro-mo unicrown fork with a "low-rider ready" version?

If you mean things like Carradice Limpets then I don't know: never used them. However, a simple
lowrider rack like the Bor Yueh that has U-loops to go around the fork and attach to work fine IME.
I used one for years and never experienced a problem. Not as neat as one that attaches to eyelets
and slightly more of a pain to fit, but certainly not something I'd replace forks over if they're
otherwise okay.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

"Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Jon Rogers wrote:
>
> > My question is, are clip-on low-rider racks ok, or would I be better off trying to replace my
> > existing cro-mo unicrown fork with a "low-rider ready" version?
>
> If you mean things like Carradice Limpets then I don't know: never used them. However, a simple
> lowrider rack like the Bor Yueh that has U-loops to go around the fork and attach to work fine
> IME. I used one for years and never experienced a problem. Not as neat as one that attaches to
> eyelets and slightly more of a pain to fit, but certainly not something I'd replace forks over if
> they're otherwise okay.
>
> Pete.
> --
> Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells
> Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
> http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

I have some carradice limpets and they seam to work fine on my 'race' bike (no low rider mounts or
eyelets). Can't actually get that much in them but they hold it steady. Getting the bags on and off
can be a bit of a faff though.

In article <[email protected]>, Si Davies wrote:

> "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Jon Rogers wrote:
>>
>> > My question is, are clip-on low-rider racks ok, or would I be better off trying to replace my
>> > existing cro-mo unicrown fork with a "low-rider ready" version?
>>
>> If you mean things like Carradice Limpets then I don't know: never used them. However, a simple
>> lowrider rack like the Bor Yueh that has U-loops to go around the fork and attach to work fine
>> IME. I used one for years and never experienced a problem. Not as neat as one that attaches to
>> eyelets and slightly more of a pain to fit, but certainly not something I'd replace forks over if
>> they're otherwise okay.
>>
>> Pete.
>> --
>> Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells
>> Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
>> http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/
>>

> I have some carradice limpets and they seam to work fine on my 'race' bike (no low rider mounts or
> eyelets). Can't actually get that much in them but they hold it steady. Getting the bags on and
> off can be a bit of a faff though.

Thanks to all who replied. It looks like I'll go for either the Bor Yueh (as it's cheap as chips,
and so am I), or maybe a Blackburn.

Tubus look interesting, but I'm not sure the price is justified.

Cheers

--
(_) ___ _ __ _ __ ___ __ _ ___ _ __ ___
| |/ _ \| '_ \ | '__/ _ \ / _` |/ _ \ '__/ __| (_) | | | |_| | | (_) | (_| | __/ | \__ \
| |@ntlworld.com
_/ |\___/|_| |_(_)_| \___/ \__, |\___|_| |___/
|__/ |___/

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 09:41:24 GMT, Jon Rogers <see_my.sig@end_of.message> wrote:

>Thanks to all who replied. It looks like I'll go for either the Bor Yueh (as it's cheap as chips,
>and so am I), or maybe a Blackburn.

I've got two Bor Yueh racks and both do a grand job. They seem very robust and I'd certainly
recommend them as workhorse racks, especially considering the price.

Bob

In article <[email protected]>, Call me Bob wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 09:41:24 GMT, Jon Rogers <see_my.sig@end_of.message> wrote:
>
>>Thanks to all who replied. It looks like I'll go for either the Bor Yueh (as it's cheap as chips,
>>and so am I), or maybe a Blackburn.
>
> I've got two Bor Yueh racks and both do a grand job. They seem very robust and I'd certainly
> recommend them as workhorse racks, especially considering the price.
>

> Bob

Thanks. Out of interest, what is the purpose of that loop thingy that goes over the top of the
wheel? Some racks seem to have them, whilst others don't

Just curious.

--
| |/ _ \| '_ \ | '__/ _ \ / _` |/ _ \ '__/ __| (_) | | | |_| | | (_) | (_| | __/ | \__ \
| |@ntlworld.com
_/ |\___/|_| |_(_)_| \___/ \__, |\___|_| |___/
|__/ |___/

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 16:11:24 GMT, Jon Rogers <see_my.sig@end_of.message> wrote:

>Thanks. Out of interest, what is the purpose of that loop thingy that goes over the top of the
>wheel? Some racks seem to have them, whilst others don't

Not sure really, I think it's just to do with rigidity. Some designs incorporate the loop to make
the rack stiffer?

Bob

Call me Bob <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 16:11:24 GMT, Jon Rogers <see_my.sig@end_of.message> wrote:
>
> >Thanks. Out of interest, what is the purpose of that loop thingy that
goes
> >over the top of the wheel? Some racks seem to have them, whilst others don't
>
> Not sure really, I think it's just to do with rigidity. Some designs incorporate the loop to make
> the rack stiffer?

The ones with loops are attached at the fork-end and halfway up the outside of the fork. Without the
loop they would not be rigid enough (and would thus break relatively soon). The ones without loops
are also attached halfway up the inside of the fork. This extra attachment supplies the required
rigidity, and the lack of a loop makes them that bit lighter.

Andrew

In message <[email protected]>, Jon Rogers
<see_my.sig@end_of.message> writes
>In article <[email protected]>, Si Davies wrote:

>Thanks to all who replied. It looks like I'll go for either the Bor Yueh (as it's cheap as chips,
>and so am I), or maybe a Blackburn.
>
>Tubus look interesting, but I'm not sure the price is justified.

Tubus are now my racks of choice, certainly for a top quality rack.

I've broken a Blackburn front lowrider (in the far west of Ireland - I had to get it fixed in
monastery - they had a business doing marine engineering and were the only place for god knows how
many miles to be able to weld Al) A cheapy Nimrod rear rack, and bent a Blackburn rear.

For me I think they are worth the price, but I can see that fro someone else the balance would be
elsewhere.
--
Chris French, Leeds

In message <[email protected]>, chris French <[email protected]> writes
>I've broken a Blackburn front lowrider (in the far west of Ireland - I had to get it fixed in
>monastery - they had a business doing marine engineering and were the only place for god knows how
>many miles to be able to weld Al) A cheapy Nimrod rear rack, and bent a Blackburn rear.

LOL. 'God knows how many miles' when it was a monastery!
--
Michael MacClancy

In message <[email protected]>, Michael MacClancy
<[email protected]> writes
>In message <[email protected]>, chris French <[email protected]> writes
>>I've broken a Blackburn front lowrider (in the far west of Ireland - I had to get it fixed in
>>monastery - they had a business doing marine engineering and were the only place for god knows how
>>many miles to be able to weld Al) A cheapy Nimrod rear rack, and bent a Blackburn rear.
>
>LOL. 'God knows how many miles' when it was a monastery!

:) I didn't notice that.

Very good they were too, cut, shaped and welded in a thick ally plate to replace the broken strut,
gave me a cuppa and biccies and charged me a fiver.
--
Chris French, Leeds