Clip Pedal Differences

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by SilentShifter, Aug 26, 2005.

1. SilentShifter

SilentShifter New Member

What are the differences in Clip-In pedals? What are some advantages/disadvantages of each type (egg-beater, 'traditional', speedplay, etc)

Thank you !

Tags:

2. AussieRob

AussieRob New Member

I own Keo's which are Look (I assume thats what you mean by traditional) pedals. They have:

-float
    -adjustible tension
    -large platform (stability, hotspots???)
    -light weight
    -low profile
    and not many moving parts so they are easy to look after.

they do not have double sided entry, and other pedals can be lighter (Keo ti 95g each). Crank brother ti triple weights in at 92.5g each but have a max rider weight limit of 185lbs. These crank brothers dont have adj. tension but do have some float (6 deg. ??), the major benifit is that you can't miss your pedal. Of course once you have cliped in and out of the Keo's a few times your not going to miss anyway.

One last thing, large cleats and pedal platforms create stability between the shoe and bike, and in theory eliminate 'hotspots'.

I'm sure some people love little pedals, but if your going to rack up the miles get a pedal with a large platform. If your getting Look pedals, get Keo's there is a non-ti option which is a lot cheaper.

3. John M

John M New Member

I am and have been a speedplay user for many years.

Advantages: More free float than any other pedal system, two-sided entry, fairly lightweight pedal/cleat combination, steep cornering angle, durable (in my experience).

Disadvatages: Cleats can be a bit tricky to set up on new shoes the first time (have to watch out for binding since the retention mechanism is in the cleat and not the pedal). Some people hate the free float. Smaller platform than Look or similar. Expensive.

By the way, I think that the small platform issue is completely mitigated by a suitably stiff soled, properly fitting shoe.

4. SilentShifter

SilentShifter New Member

Great, this is the kind of information I am looking for. Thanks for the help!!!

5. xbgs351

xbgs351 New Member

Another disadvantage is that they don't provide a very stable platform. This can cause knee pain.

6. Fradbut

Fradbut New Member

I've found Look easy to use but for more around town. Campagnolo very good but can give you hotspots plus poor build quality on the axle seal. I'm on Shimano Dura Ace, very good but I find the floating cleat too floating and prefer the fixed cleat which still floats at the back. These have been my favourirte.

7. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

On what, Centaur pro-fits? Or you simply got unlucky. I find it hard to believe that axle seals are a problem on a Chorus or Record level set of Pro-Fits.

To the OP, consider the Pro-Fits, they are similar to the Looks, but better made (Campagnolo!) slightly smaller, and you can get them with float or without (the cleats, that is). And they are not as common... who wants to ride what everyone else is using, when the Campagnolos are better! :p

8. Fox Farm

Fox Farm New Member

I too have been a Speedplay user (X2) for about the past five years after 12 years of using Look. Yes, Speedplay are a little more expensive but when I considered that with the Looks, I would have to replace cleats no less than once a year at $15 a pop, I more than bought my Speedplays in Look cleat replacement.

9. ghostpedal

ghostpedal New Member

I wanted something different for my new road bike so I bought Crank Brothers Quattro SL road pedals. I think they are perfectly fine once clipped in, but have had a hard time getting used to clipping in and still cannot do it quickly enough. It isn't that the mechanism is bad, it's just the motion that is required. I am seriously considering going back to Looks or similar. That said:

Pros:
    Double sided
    Cleat easy to walk in
    Different (is that a +?)
    Large platform
    Compatible with mountain eggbeater pedals

Cons:
    Heavier than some others
    Above mentioned clipping in issues
    Somewhat expensive

10. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

some , MTB usually , allow you to walk normally in your cycling shoes others make you look like a penguin .

11. chisa1234

chisa1234 New Member

i use time rxs carbon. i previously used look. i find that the time system is more comfortable and more solid feeling (even though you have the float). the cleats are also easier to walk on and will last longer than look. very light. nice pedal all in all.

12. TKOS

TKOS New Member

Since I use mine more for commuting I use SPD pedals. These are usually for MTB's and I find they offer easy in and out, ease of walking around (many shoe designs and most have the cleat resessed in the shoe) and offer both 1 sided and double sided pedals. I also have a set of pedals for my commuting bike that are platform and spd just in case I need to wear some other type of shoe.

Of course the best advice would be to go out and try all the kinds but thta just isn't possible. MOst people still enjoy the Look style pedal it seems from all the people I watch on group rides. Very few roadies seem to opt for SPD's. Time is also a popular choice, but can be pricey.

13. Adam-from-SLO

Adam-from-SLO New Member

Yeah.... and a good shoe insert doesn't hurt either ;) ... more $$

Every rider has different mechanics , so what works for one rider.. may not work for another rider. If you stick with a larger platform , ie. LOOK, Time, ..... + a well made shoe/sole then you should not have any issues.

just my .07 cents