Clipless Crash: Lump at hip impact site

DaveH

Guest
2 weeks ago I had a typical clipless newbie slow-speed fallover crash.
My hip must have hit fairly hard, resulting in a 6" diameter bruise.

The bruise is dissipating, but a 2" diameter lump or raised portion
remains, located at the joint. Raised ~ 1/8" - 3/16, it is somewhat
tough and a bit sore when pressed.

Generally it is not surprising that trauma would produce something
like this, but it is a bit odd, something I've not experienced before.
I should say that this is the worst bike crash I've had since
childhood, so my injury data base is minimal.

I'm guessing this will resolve itself, but I thought I would run it by
you guys and gals before running to the Doctor. Thanks --
Dave

On Oct 12, 12:45 pm, DaveH <[email protected]> wrote:
> 2 weeks ago I had a typical clipless newbie slow-speed fallover crash.
> My hip must have hit fairly hard, resulting in a 6" diameter bruise.
>
> The bruise is dissipating, but a 2" diameter lump or raised portion
> remains, located at the joint. Raised ~ 1/8" - 3/16, it is somewhat
> tough and a bit sore when pressed.
>
> Generally it is not surprising that trauma would produce something
> like this, but it is a bit odd, something I've not experienced before.
> I should say that this is the worst bike crash I've had since
> childhood, so my injury data base is minimal.
>
> I'm guessing this will resolve itself, but I thought I would run it by
> you guys and gals before running to the Doctor. Thanks --
> Dave

On Oct 12, 12:45 pm, DaveH <[email protected]> wrote:
> 2 weeks ago I had a typical clipless newbie slow-speed fallover crash.
> My hip must have hit fairly hard, resulting in a 6" diameter bruise.
>
> The bruise is dissipating, but a 2" diameter lump or raised portion
> remains, located at the joint. Raised ~ 1/8" - 3/16, it is somewhat
> tough and a bit sore when pressed.
>
> Generally it is not surprising that trauma would produce something
> like this, but it is a bit odd, something I've not experienced before.
> I should say that this is the worst bike crash I've had since
> childhood, so my injury data base is minimal.
>
> I'm guessing this will resolve itself, but I thought I would run it by
> you guys and gals before running to the Doctor. Thanks --
> Dave

If you're describing what I've done quite a few times, it's no big
deal. I think it's called a hematoma, and it should go away over
time. I'm no doctor, so figure the advice is worth about what you're
paying for it.

"DaveH" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>2 weeks ago I had a typical clipless newbie slow-speed fallover crash.
> My hip must have hit fairly hard, resulting in a 6" diameter bruise.
>
> The bruise is dissipating, but a 2" diameter lump or raised portion
> remains, located at the joint. Raised ~ 1/8" - 3/16, it is somewhat
> tough and a bit sore when pressed.
>
> Generally it is not surprising that trauma would produce something
> like this, but it is a bit odd, something I've not experienced before.
> I should say that this is the worst bike crash I've had since
> childhood, so my injury data base is minimal.
>
> I'm guessing this will resolve itself, but I thought I would run it by
> you guys and gals before running to the Doctor. Thanks --
> Dave

I have the same thing on my shin and I am guessing they are quite common.
2 weeks for a ligament injury since it was on the joint will not be enough
time. Only sore if you touch it is a good sign. no need for pain relief I
guess unless you sleep on that side.
Is it particularly stiff in the morning? You may have life time soreness
but a little exercise will limber you up and no worries. Doctor's may want
an xray but I am a minimalist when it comes to testing.
Scar tissue could definitely be permaneant too. I have that on my knee
after a blow to the knee cap in the late 80's.
keep riding for your health

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 12:45:34 -0400, DaveH
<[email protected]> wrote:

>2 weeks ago I had a typical clipless newbie slow-speed fallover crash.
>My hip must have hit fairly hard, resulting in a 6" diameter bruise.
>
>The bruise is dissipating, but a 2" diameter lump or raised portion
>remains, located at the joint. Raised ~ 1/8" - 3/16, it is somewhat
>tough and a bit sore when pressed.
>
>Generally it is not surprising that trauma would produce something
>like this, but it is a bit odd, something I've not experienced before.
>I should say that this is the worst bike crash I've had since
>childhood, so my injury data base is minimal.
>
>I'm guessing this will resolve itself, but I thought I would run it by
>you guys and gals before running to the Doctor. Thanks --
>Dave

Hematoma -- this never occurred to me. TV has polluted my brain into
thinking only subdural hematoma.

Googled hematoma which raised a little concern. GP had a quick
opening, just got back. Result: take Aleve, ride, report any changes.

Guess I'm going to live. Now my primary concern is figuring out
whether the Varus Wedge in my BG Specialized comp road shoes is
causing recent knee problems.
Thanks guys --
Dave

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 12:45:34 -0400, DaveH wrote:

> I'm guessing this will resolve itself, but I thought I would run it by
> you guys and gals before running to the Doctor. Thanks --

It sounds like a haematoma. Most go away by themselves in a
few weeks, but you should get it checked out, since a few can
cause clots and other problems.

On 2007-10-12, DaveH <[email protected]> wrote:

> 2 weeks ago I had a typical clipless newbie slow-speed fallover crash.
> My hip must have hit fairly hard, resulting in a 6" diameter bruise.
>
> The bruise is dissipating, but a 2" diameter lump or raised portion
> remains, located at the joint. Raised ~ 1/8" - 3/16, it is somewhat
> tough and a bit sore when pressed.
>
> Generally it is not surprising that trauma would produce something
> like this, but it is a bit odd, something I've not experienced before.
> I should say that this is the worst bike crash I've had since
> childhood, so my injury data base is minimal.
>
> I'm guessing this will resolve itself, but I thought I would run it by
> you guys and gals before running to the Doctor. Thanks --

Probably just a hematoma from the crash. I had a similar thing after I
crashed last year. It disappeared on its own after a few months. Unless
it gets painful or interferes with your mobility I wouldn't worry too
much about it.

--

John ([email protected])

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 12:45:34 -0400 in rec.bicycles.misc, DaveH
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm guessing this will resolve itself, but I thought I would run it by
> you guys and gals before running to the Doctor.

ASK YOUR DOCTOR. duh.

usenet gets you bizarre opinions and uninformed guesses. i
wouldn't take a chance on something like this. ask your doctor,
and if he can't give you a good answer, ask to be referred to an
orthopedic doc. joint problems, especially involving the hip
socket, can come back to bite you years later.

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 22:31:30 -0500, John Thompson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 2007-10-12, DaveH <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> 2 weeks ago I had a typical clipless newbie slow-speed fallover crash.
>> My hip must have hit fairly hard, resulting in a 6" diameter bruise.
>>
>> The bruise is dissipating, but a 2" diameter lump or raised portion
>> remains, located at the joint. Raised ~ 1/8" - 3/16, it is somewhat
>> tough and a bit sore when pressed.
>>
>> Generally it is not surprising that trauma would produce something
>> like this, but it is a bit odd, something I've not experienced before.
>> I should say that this is the worst bike crash I've had since
>> childhood, so my injury data base is minimal.
>>
>> I'm guessing this will resolve itself, but I thought I would run it by
>> you guys and gals before running to the Doctor. Thanks --

>Probably just a hematoma from the crash. I had a similar thing after I
>crashed last year. It disappeared on its own after a few months. Unless
>it gets painful or interferes with your mobility I wouldn't worry too
>much about it.

The injury site is more complex than I thought. There is a tough spot
as I initially described, but right above it is a 2" hump which is
almost certainly filled with fluid.

I'm not sure the PA I saw on friday (not my GP) palpated this area.

I did 30 miles today without a twinge, but Monday I'm going to find an
MD to have a better look at this damn thing. Dennis has me freaked
out.
Dave

"DaveH" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>2 weeks ago I had a typical clipless newbie slow-speed fallover crash.
> My hip must have hit fairly hard, resulting in a 6" diameter bruise.
>
> The bruise is dissipating, but a 2" diameter lump or raised portion
> remains, located at the joint. Raised ~ 1/8" - 3/16, it is somewhat
> tough and a bit sore when pressed.
>
> Generally it is not surprising that trauma would produce something
> like this, but it is a bit odd, something I've not experienced before.
> I should say that this is the worst bike crash I've had since
> childhood, so my injury data base is minimal.
>
> I'm guessing this will resolve itself, but I thought I would run it by
> you guys and gals before running to the Doctor. Thanks --
> Dave

I had a very similar hip injury when I took a spill last summer - riding
over an unfamiliar railroad track crossing in the rain. My whole side was
black and blue for awhile, then most of it went away as you described. A
week or so after that, the whole thing was gone. I had a little discomfort
walking for awhile, but I am fine now.

What is a doctor going to do for this kind of injury? Nothing but make your
wallet a bit lighter.

- Stoic Jay

>> I'm guessing this will resolve itself, but I thought I would run it by
>> you guys and gals before running to the Doctor. Thanks --
>> Dave
>>

>I had a very similar hip injury when I took a spill last summer - riding
>over an unfamiliar railroad track crossing in the rain. My whole side was
>black and blue for awhile, then most of it went away as you described. A
>week or so after that, the whole thing was gone. I had a little discomfort
>walking for awhile, but I am fine now.
>
>What is a doctor going to do for this kind of injury? Nothing but make your
>wallet a bit lighter.
>
>- Stoic Jay

Jay,
Did you have any fluid filled, or what felt by pressing to be fluid
filled lumps or raised portions at the injury site? This is what has
me most concerned. I think it appeared about 10 days after the crash,
as the 6-8" dia bruise was well on its way to dissipating. Not
sure--could have appeared much sooner.

It is not getting any larger and may in fact be getting smaller, but
still a concern.

I do detest running back to the this office, which has about a dozen
MDs and PAs. I've had a bunch of other unrelated things this year that
turned out to be negative -- embarrassing.
Dave

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 00:21:07 -0400 in rec.bicycles.misc, DaveH
<[email protected]> wrote:

> The injury site is more complex than I thought. There is a tough spot
> as I initially described, but right above it is a 2" hump which is
> almost certainly filled with fluid.
>
> I'm not sure the PA I saw on friday (not my GP) palpated this area.
>
> I did 30 miles today without a twinge, but Monday I'm going to find an
> MD to have a better look at this damn thing. Dennis has me freaked
> out.

i didn't intend to freak you out, but if you hit your hip very
hard, it might be worth an x-ray. i have a lot of friends who
used to be hotshot skiers and took a lot of falls in their teens,
20s, and early 30s. several have had to have hip replacements
because untreated hip injuries became calcified over time. if
you cracked your pelvis or a hip socket, it may not heal
properly.

just ask floyd landis. improper healing of his hip after a bad
fall led to necrosis of the hip socket --- circulation to the
bone tissue was cut off, and the bone died and began
deteriorating. he had to have hip replacement surgery after the
2006 tour.

On Oct 14, 7:28 pm, DaveH <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> I'm guessing this will resolve itself, but I thought I would run it by
> >> you guys and gals before running to the Doctor. Thanks --
> >> Dave

> >I had a very similar hip injury when I took a spill last summer - riding
> >over an unfamiliar railroad track crossing in the rain. My whole side was
> >black and blue for awhile, then most of it went away as you described. A
> >week or so after that, the whole thing was gone. I had a little discomfort
> >walking for awhile, but I am fine now.

> >What is a doctor going to do for this kind of injury? Nothing but make your
> >wallet a bit lighter.

> >- Stoic Jay

> Jay,
> Did you have any fluid filled, or what felt by pressing to be fluid
> filled lumps or raised portions at the injury site? This is what has
> me most concerned. I think it appeared about 10 days after the crash,
> as the 6-8" dia bruise was well on its way to dissipating. Not
> sure--could have appeared much sooner.
>
> It is not getting any larger and may in fact be getting smaller, but
> still a concern.
>
> I do detest running back to the this office, which has about a dozen
> MDs and PAs. I've had a bunch of other unrelated things this year that
> turned out to be negative -- embarrassing.
> Dave

I can't give you much detail about it, because I tend to ignore things
like that as much as possible. I just noticed that it was lingering a
bit when I had a slight limp to my walk. Also, I often sleep on my
left side, which was somewhat uncomfortable. I guess there was
probably some fluid in there, it did have that feel to it. I never
tried to look at it closely in the mirror.

I think a doctor would perhaps give you a prescription for
antibiotics, and he would either drain it right away, or tell you to
come back in a week if the swelling had not gone down by itself, and
drain it then - J.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>2 weeks ago I had a typical clipless newbie slow-speed fallover crash.
>My hip must have hit fairly hard, resulting in a 6" diameter bruise.
>
>The bruise is dissipating, but a 2" diameter lump or raised portion
>remains, located at the joint. Raised ~ 1/8" - 3/16, it is somewhat
>tough and a bit sore when pressed.
>
>Generally it is not surprising that trauma would produce something
>like this, but it is a bit odd, something I've not experienced before.
>I should say that this is the worst bike crash I've had since
>childhood, so my injury data base is minimal.
>
>I'm guessing this will resolve itself, but I thought I would run it by
>you guys and gals before running to the Doctor. Thanks --
>Dave

I believe the technical term for this type of injury is called

"A BOOBOO"

You are gonna live.

>> I did 30 miles today without a twinge, but Monday I'm going to find an
>> MD to have a better look at this damn thing. Dennis has me freaked
>> out.

>i didn't intend to freak you out, but if you hit your hip very
>hard, it might be worth an x-ray. i have a lot of friends who
>used to be hotshot skiers and took a lot of falls in their teens,
>20s, and early 30s. several have had to have hip replacements
>because untreated hip injuries became calcified over time. if
>you cracked your pelvis or a hip socket, it may not heal
>properly.
>
>just ask floyd landis. improper healing of his hip after a bad
>fall led to necrosis of the hip socket --- circulation to the
>bone tissue was cut off, and the bone died and began
>deteriorating. he had to have hip replacement surgery after the
>2006 tour.

Dennis,
I decided to err on the side of caution and saw an MD today. This guy
was much more cerebral than the average Doc and seemed to understand
the nature of the problem and my concerns along as many dimensions as
I could assimilate.

He essentially agreed with the PA I saw Friday -- the probability is
very high that it will resolve itself without intervention, continue
with Aleve.

He said the lump is an inflamed Bursal sac with some possible
additional fluid accumulation, and that the draining procedure carries
with it risk of infection that is probably greater than the risk
incurred by letting the body take care of it naturally. The risk is
minimal for either scenario. This is where the discussion turned into
a "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin" sort of thing.

He also said the pain/discomfort profile I reported did not warrant an
Xray or scan. He manipulated my leg all over the place and convinced
me it's not necessary -- and I'm a tough medical customer.

So I'm going to go with his conclusions and monitor the healing
process. He did say this injury may cause problems in later years
(I'm 48), but that nothing can be done at this time to mitigate such
an eventuality. Guess I'll leave it there for now. Thanks for your
input.
Dave

>>I'm guessing this will resolve itself, but I thought I would run it by
>>you guys and gals before running to the Doctor. Thanks --
>>Dave
>>

>I believe the technical term for this type of injury is called
>"A BOOBOO"
>You are gonna live.

Explain

you might want to loosen your clipless cleats. I have mine on the least
tension and believe you me I could have spilled alot more and they do not
come off on hills so IMHO I do not see why more people would not do it.
When I did fall it was when stopped and I did not get injured anyway. Just
slowly fall to the right and catch myself with my hand, forearm kind of
deal. painless except for the over dramatic ego
but yes I strongly recommend for any males who do not go to doctor's for
whatever reason to go. This being a Canadian, however, when there is no
extra costs. Why did the Doc not prescribe epsom salt baths or at least
elevation and heat to dissipate the extra liquid i do not get. RICE is
good therapy all the time with or without a DOC. needs to be immediately.
http://www.freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/RICETherapy.jsp
Ibuprofen and a stiff drink are great too. You will forget you ever landed
on your hip.
glad if was not serious sport. stay healthy

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 15:21:03 GMT, "smn" <[email protected]> wrote:

>you might want to loosen your clipless cleats. I have mine on the least
>tension and believe you me I could have spilled alot more and they do not
>come off on hills so IMHO I do not see why more people would not do it.
>When I did fall it was when stopped and I did not get injured anyway. Just
>slowly fall to the right and catch myself with my hand, forearm kind of
>deal. painless except for the over dramatic ego
>but yes I strongly recommend for any males who do not go to doctor's for
>whatever reason to go. This being a Canadian, however, when there is no
>extra costs. Why did the Doc not prescribe epsom salt baths or at least
>elevation and heat to dissipate the extra liquid i do not get. RICE is
>good therapy all the time with or without a DOC. needs to be immediately.
>http://www.freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/RICETherapy.jsp
>Ibuprofen and a stiff drink are great too. You will forget you ever landed
>on your hip.
>glad if was not serious sport. stay healthy

I have Look Keo Classic pedals and they are at minimum tension -- come
that way from the factory. You're right, they don't unclip hammering
hard up hills. I'm using Specialized Comp Road shoes and 9 deg float
cleats.

I was doing tight CCW circles at a stop sign waiting for traffic when
I went over hard to the right. Worse than just basically slowing to a
stop, failing to unclip and plopping over -- which I've also done --
but to the left.

I can do a track stand, but think it's a bad idea until clipless are
mastered.

My hip is getting better -- slowly. The fluid is being absorbed. I did
35 brisk miles yesterday without a twinge. I know that is not proof
that all is well, but is probably a good sign. Thanks for your input
SMN...Dave

smn wrote:
> you might want to loosen your clipless cleats. I have mine on the least
> tension and believe you me I could have spilled alot more and they do not
> come off on hills so IMHO I do not see why more people would not do it.
> When I did fall it was when stopped and I did not get injured anyway. Just
> slowly fall to the right and catch myself with my hand, forearm kind of
> deal. painless except for the over dramatic ego
> but yes I strongly recommend for any males who do not go to doctor's for
> whatever reason to go. This being a Canadian, however, when there is no
> extra costs. Why did the Doc not prescribe epsom salt baths or at least
> elevation and heat to dissipate the extra liquid i do not get. RICE is
> good therapy all the time with or without a DOC. needs to be immediately.
> http://www.freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/RICETherapy.jsp
> Ibuprofen and a stiff drink are great too. You will forget you ever landed
> on your hip.
> glad if was not serious sport. stay healthy

Against my better judgment, I lets others call an ambulance once after a
minor accident. All I got at the hospital emergency room was a nurse
taking my "vitals" and a sub 5-minute cursory examination by the
attending physician. My out of pocket cost exceeded $1000 - I could have
bought nice bicycle for that sum.

Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!

> Against my better judgment, I lets others call an ambulance once after a
> minor accident. All I got at the hospital emergency room was a nurse
> taking my "vitals" and a sub 5-minute cursory examination by the attending
> physician. My out of pocket cost exceeded $1000 - I could have bought nice
> bicycle for that sum.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!

Owwwwweeeee
Don't go near a hospital if you want to stay healthy.
Is any of that tax deductible?
an ambulance would cost us Cdn's around $80 with no health plan. Not sure
about the rest.
Are you sure the doctor didnot lift your watch on the way out. : )

smn wrote:
>> Against my better judgment, I lets others call an ambulance once after a
>> minor accident. All I got at the hospital emergency room was a nurse
>> taking my "vitals" and a sub 5-minute cursory examination by the attending
>> physician. My out of pocket cost exceeded $1000 - I could have bought nice
>> bicycle for that sum.

> Owwwwweeeee
> Don't go near a hospital if you want to stay healthy.
> Is any of that tax deductible?
> an ambulance would cost us Cdn's around $80 with no health plan. Not sure
> about the rest.
> Are you sure the doctor didnot lift your watch on the way out. : )

The 4-mile ambulance ride was only $350.

Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!