Clipless FAQ update v2.0

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by John Morgan, Aug 28, 2003.

  1. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    I spent a couple hours reworking the clipless pedal FAQ, especially section 3 pedal types with the
    descriptions. Any feedback is welcome. I could use some ideas for section 2 for useful techniques.

    http://members.cox.net/jhnmorgan/mtb/CliplessFAQ.txt

    -John Morgan

    Tags:

  2. Jack

    Jack Guest

  3. On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 16:42:29 -1000, jack <[email protected]> penned:

    > Learning flat pedal skills makes one a better clipless rider.
    >
    > http://www.mountainbike.com/mbhelp/skills/1101_flats.shtml

    Question from the newbie.

    Your article says:

    <quote>BETTER BASICS. "Almost anyone can bunny hop clipped in. The real skill is doing it on flats.
    Once you dial in all those basics on flats, you'll be that much better clipped in."</quote>

    I get the concept of bunny hopping or lifting your rear wheel when clipped in. How do you do it
    without having your feet attached to the pedals?

    --
    monique

  4. On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 19:35:19 -0700, John Morgan <[email protected]> penned:
    > I spent a couple hours reworking the clipless pedal FAQ, especially section 3 pedal types with the
    > descriptions. Any feedback is welcome. I could use some ideas for section 2 for useful techniques.
    >
    > http://members.cox.net/jhnmorgan/mtb/CliplessFAQ.txt
    >
    > -John Morgan

    Section 2.1, Entry and Exit. It seems like I'm best able to clip in while sliding my foot forward a
    bit in relation to the pedal, kind of the same motion that I use when pushing my toe into ski
    bindings -- but not the same feeling, as it's more like scraping my foot along the top of the pedal,
    rather than pushing my toe into something.

    Anyway, I have no idea if that's proper technique; just what I seem to
    do. I think that's what your paragraph is trying to describe, but I don't think I could visualize
    the proper movement by reading your description.

    Your description is very mechanism-oriented; that's cool, but I'm thinking maybe something more
    oriented toward feel and analogy? "Clipping into a clipless pedal should feel like <something> ..."
    Unfortunately, being a newbie, I'm certainly not the best person to come up with that analogy.

    Just some thoughts as I read this over the second time ... thanks again for maintaining this!

    --
    monique

  5. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Here's a pretty good description of it http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~lukem/mtb/bunnyhop.txt
    --
    Slacker

  6. Jack

    Jack Guest

    "Monique Y. Herman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 16:42:29 -1000, jack <[email protected]> penned:
    > >

    > > Learning flat pedal skills makes one a better clipless rider.
    > >
    > > http://www.mountainbike.com/mbhelp/skills/1101_flats.shtml
    > >

    > Question from the newbie.
    >
    > Your article says:
    >
    > <quote>BETTER BASICS. "Almost anyone can bunny hop clipped in. The real skill is doing it on
    > flats. Once you dial in all those basics on flats, you'll be that much better clipped in."</quote>
    >
    > I get the concept of bunny hopping or lifting your rear wheel when clipped in. How do you do it
    > without having your feet attached to the pedals?
    >
    > --
    > monique

    Learn how to lift your rear wheel with flat pedals first. The bunnyhop and stuff becomes easier once
    you learn that trick. The cool thing is that you become one with the bike on flats since you don't
    rely on being attached to the bike. Practice, practice, practice!!!!!!

    Here is another site that explains lifting the rear wheel and bunnyhop:

    http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/tech_tips/tech6.htm

  7. On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:51:58 -0700, Slacker <[email protected]> penned:
    >> I get the concept of bunny hopping or lifting your rear wheel when clipped in. How do you do it
    >> without having your feet attached to the pedals?
    >>
    >> --
    >> monique
    >

    > Here's a pretty good description of it http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~lukem/mtb/bunnyhop.txt
    > --
    > Slacker

    Thank you! It looks very informative ... I'll have to reread it tomorrow morning, when my brain
    isn't quite so dead.

    --
    monique

  8. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > Learning flat pedal skills makes one a better clipless rider.
    >
    > http://www.mountainbike.com/mbhelp/skills/1101_flats.shtml

    Are you saying this to:

    A) be controversial,
    B) be neo-cool retro,
    C) convert the masses to your cause, or
    D) hide your fear of clipless pedals?

    Regurgitating mtb mag drivel doesn't make anyone a better rider.

    -John Morgan

  9. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > >Regurgitating mtb mag drivel doesn't make anyone a better rider.
    > >

    > Nor does using clipless pedals, necessarily, although some prefer them. Your point was?

    My point was to belittle him for posting a link to Mountain Bike's article "Switch Back to Flats" in
    a thread about clipless pedals. If you had followed the conversation or read the FAQ, you would know
    that I wasn't asserting that clipless pedals make a rider better (though I believe they do for most
    applications). Now do you have anything useful to say about the FAQ?

    kthx.

    -John Morgan

  10. Jack

    Jack Guest

    "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > >Regurgitating mtb mag drivel doesn't make anyone a better rider.
    > > >

    > > Nor does using clipless pedals, necessarily, although some prefer them. Your point was?
    >
    > My point was to belittle him for posting a link to Mountain Bike's article "Switch Back to Flats"
    > in a thread about clipless pedals. If you had followed the conversation or read the FAQ, you would
    > know that I wasn't asserting that clipless pedals make a rider better (though I believe they
    do
    > for most applications). Now do you have anything useful to say about the FAQ?
    >
    > kthx.

    You asked for feedback on your original post.

    You have a discussion on flat pedals in your FAQ that in my opinion could be improved with some
    principles of the article. The article does not diss clipless. It's advocating flat pedal skills
    can improve your clipless skills. Your FAQ does not address improper technique lifting skills
    with clipless.

    I have to agree with the article. Especially the lifting skills. When I first started riding mtbs
    the bike already came with clipless. I adapted to them real quick. Bunnyhopping was easy because I
    justed lifted my legs and the bike came up. Dirt jumping was different. I had some big time endo
    crashes. My riding buddy told me I bad technique because of the clipless. I switched to flats and
    couldn't even bunnyhop. In fact I got a big gash on my shin from pedals on my first day. (tip buy
    shin guards with flat pedals) I spent 2 frustrating months trying to learn how to bunnyhop. What I
    finally discovered is lifting the bike with flat pedals is an upper body movement. That's why I kept
    crashing with clipless because my upper body was out of position in the air. With flats you move
    your body for the lift so you have really good postion for the landing. Some riders are probably
    athletic enough that they don't need to learn flats skills. Me, my overall riding has improved
    because of flats. I usually ride with flats all the time except for races, that's when I dust off
    the clipless.

  11. Cleanbean

    Cleanbean Guest

    "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I spent a couple hours reworking the clipless pedal FAQ, especially
    section
    > 3 pedal types with the descriptions. Any feedback is welcome. I could
    use
    > some ideas for section 2 for useful techniques.
    >
    > http://members.cox.net/jhnmorgan/mtb/CliplessFAQ.txt
    >
    > -John Morgan

    This topic is not rocket science. Just put the things on and ride. You will fall if you don't unclip
    in a timely manor. Cleanbean

  12. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > I knew that. And assumed you were just in it to belittle spademan. Hence
    my
    > "And your point was?" whilst knowing you didn't have one.
    >
    > Just an old dog that doesn't want to learn a new trick with his feet.
    ;-))

    Aha, good. We agree on all sides then. =)

    Glad you can smile about it after all is said and done.

    -John Morgan

  13. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > This topic is not rocket science. Just put the things on and ride. You will fall if you don't
    > unclip in a timely manor. Cleanbean

    LOL. Well I didn't create the FAQ because I had any questions about clipless pedals, but I created
    it in response to a surge of questions regarding them we had a year or so back. I figured it was
    worth the effort of writing it up to not have to deal with it each individual time someone tried
    them for the first time and had questions. I did learn a few things when doing some research on the
    different pedals, though. =)

    -John Morgan

  14. On Tue09Sep03-2100
    , John Morgan wrote:

    > I spent a couple hours reworking the clipless pedal FAQ, especially section 3 pedal types with the
    > descriptions. Any feedback is welcome. I could use some ideas for section 2 for useful techniques.
    >
    > http://members.cox.net/jhnmorgan/mtb/CliplessFAQ.txt
    >
    > -John Morgan

    Nice.

    Thanks John.

    --

    QUIPd 1.02: (142 of 642) -> Only 2 things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and -> I'm
    not sure about the former. -> - Albert Einstein

  15. Nick Brooks

    Nick Brooks Guest

    There is a very good compatibility chart showing how well when cleats and pedals from different
    manufacturers work together in "Zinn and the art of Mountain Bike Maintenance"