Clipless learning curve

Paul

Guest
I'm currently trying experimenting with clipless pedals but
on my first couple of rides I've found they've hindered my
confidence in places. I was wondering how other people get
on with clipless.

Do many people unclip before technical sections? And what I
really missed was the ability to just dab a foot if the back
wheel starts to lose grip on a fast loose corner. Can a
rider's unclipping reactions ever get good enough to recover
this without unclipping in anticipation?

Paul

Paul wrote:
> I'm currently trying experimenting with clipless pedals
> but on my first couple of rides I've found they've
> hindered my confidence in places. I was wondering how
> other people get on with clipless.
>
> Do many people unclip before technical sections? And what
> I really missed was the ability to just dab a foot if the
> back wheel starts to lose grip on a fast loose corner. Can
> a rider's unclipping reactions ever get good enough to
> recover this without unclipping in anticipation?
>
> Paul

set your cleat adjustment really loose and keep it well
lubed, should help a lot.

penny

On 2004-06-23, Paul penned:
> I'm currently trying experimenting with clipless pedals
> but on my first couple of rides I've found they've
> hindered my confidence in places. I was wondering how
> other people get on with clipless.
>
> Do many people unclip before technical sections? And what
> I really missed was the ability to just dab a foot if the
> back wheel starts to lose grip on a fast loose corner. Can
> a rider's unclipping reactions ever get good enough to
> recover this without unclipping in anticipation?

I'm getting used to clipless, too. I always unclip on
sections where I'm afraid I might fall. I'm getting more
comfortable with being clipped in, though, slowly.

If you're using shimano stuff, I might suggest what Zilla
suggested to
me: multirelease cleats, with designation SH-55. They make
it a lot easier to get out in a jam. Also, have you
adjusted your pedals at all? They can be set from
loose to tight.

--
monique

Paul wrote:
> I'm currently trying experimenting with clipless pedals
> but on my first couple of rides I've found they've
> hindered my confidence in places. I was wondering how
> other people get on with clipless.
>
> Do many people unclip before technical sections? And what
> I really missed was the ability to just dab a foot if the
> back wheel starts to lose grip on a fast loose corner. Can
> a rider's unclipping reactions ever get good enough to
> recover this without unclipping in anticipation?
>
> Paul

Sounds like you're on the normal learning curve. Hang in
there it gets easier. If you've got SPDs or some other type
that allows you to adjust the release tension, set them so
they release pretty easily. I've been riding SPDs since they
were the hot new thing (1990 or so?) and I still keep them
just tight enough so I don't blow out when sprinting or
cranking hard. Somewhere along the line I learned how to
push down and rotate my heel outward when I need to dab. My
foot releases and is headed down all in one motion. I find I
do better with the added control of being clipped in on
technical sections (whatever that really means). I do get
really screwed up if snow, sand, or mud make it hard to
release. You may want to Google this for previous lengthy
threads on that topic.

Shawn

Paul wrote:
> I'm currently trying experimenting with clipless pedals
> but on my first couple of rides I've found they've
> hindered my confidence in places. I was wondering how
> other people get on with clipless.
>
> Do many people unclip before technical sections? And what
> I really missed was the ability to just dab a foot if the
> back wheel starts to lose grip on a fast loose corner. Can
> a rider's unclipping reactions ever get good enough to
> recover this without unclipping in anticipation?
>
> Paul

Paul, Many people take their bruises while mastering
clipless pedels, most get through it, and a large
percentage ride clipless for life. We have often discussed
various aspects of learning to ride with clipless while
minimizing the pain. Try a google search on the topic,
you'll find lots of help.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)

The thing about clipless is, you shouldn't unclip. Learn how
to ride through the tech area. Don't learn how to unclip.
Unclipping is doing it wrong. Riding through is doing it
right. Yes, you will have to pay your dues with a few bumps
& bruises. You'll learn much faster & you'll learn right.

text.dial.pipex.com...

Paul wrote:

> I'm currently trying experimenting with clipless pedals
> but on my first couple of rides I've found they've
> hindered my confidence in places. I was wondering how
> other people get on with clipless.
>
> Do many people unclip before technical sections? And what
> I really missed was the ability to just dab a foot if the
> back wheel starts to lose grip on a fast loose corner. Can
> a rider's unclipping reactions ever get good enough to
> recover this without unclipping in anticipation?
>
> Paul

I never unclip before hitting technical sections. I find I
am able to control the bike better while my feet are
connected to it. I've gotten very quick at unclipping when I
start to lose my balance, but it will never be as quick as
platform pedals. More often than not, I can save it with a
dab... but when I crash, I take the fall harder because I
don't have that extra 1/2 second to tuck into the right
position. For me, the benefits outweigh the costs. For
others, they compromise and get a pedal with a big cage
around it.

John M

"Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm currently trying experimenting with clipless pedals
> but on my first couple of rides I've found they've
> hindered my confidence in places. I was wondering how
> other people get on with clipless.
>
> Do many people unclip before technical sections? And what
> I really missed was the ability to just dab a foot if the
> back wheel starts to lose grip on a fast loose corner. Can
> a rider's unclipping reactions ever get good enough to
> recover this without unclipping in anticipation?

With clipless, I found that I was having to go into
technical sections that I would normally dab, with more
commitment. Thus, I started cleaning the tough parts. That,
or bust my ass.

Jerry Bone Jr wrote:

> The thing about clipless is, you shouldn't unclip. Learn
> how to ride through the tech area. Don't learn how to
> unclip. Unclipping is doing it wrong. Riding through is
> doing it right. Yes, you will have to pay your dues with a
> few bumps & bruises. You'll learn much faster & you'll
> learn right.

You have a point about not unclipping IMO, but if you get
good at unclipping quickly the cost in bumps and buises
will be less.

Shawn

"mojo deluxe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:IspCc.4345$G%[email protected]...

> "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:40da0dee$0$280$cc9e4d1f@news-
> text.dial.pipex.com...
> > I'm currently trying experimenting with clipless pedals
> > but on my first couple of rides I've found they've
> > hindered my confidence in places. I was wondering how
> > other people get on with clipless.
> >
> > Do many people unclip before technical sections? And
> > what I really missed was the ability to just dab a foot
> > if the back wheel starts to lose grip on a fast loose
> > corner. Can a rider's unclipping reactions ever get good
> > enough to recover this without unclipping in
> > anticipation?
> >
> With clipless, I found that I was having to go into
> technical sections
that
> I would normally dab, with more commitment. Thus, I
> started cleaning the tough parts. That, or bust my ass.

Lots of good posts but this one is the key: commitment. You
need to take the risk along with the glory.

I would never think of unclipping to ride a technical
section, I would make a mess of it if I was unclipped. Being
clipped in offers so much more control and agility, its the
way to better riding.

That being said, I will agree with some posts that over the
years I have learned to release real fast when the jigs up
and I am definitely bailing.

Don't adjust the pedals too loose, you don't want them
coming out for any old reason - a twist or a turn which is
not intended as a release.

Sniffinvinyl
----------------
Remain sane, cycle your brains out . . .

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 00:10:42 +0100, Paul wrote:
> I'm currently trying experimenting with clipless pedals
> but on my first couple of rides I've found they've
> hindered my confidence in places. I was wondering how
> other people get on with clipless.

Well, you've heard a few people say about how they learned
to unclip quickly - don't get the impression that they're
something special! Except for those few people who give up
early on, EVERYONE learns to unclip instinctively. Then the
apprehension goes. You're in a normal learning curve.

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail
address, at least)

"Monique Y. Mudama" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> If you're using shimano stuff, I might suggest what Zilla
> suggested to
> me: multirelease cleats, with designation SH-55. They make
> it a lot easier to get out in a jam.

I'll second this. I learned with multirelease and never got
all the bumps and bruises my friends warned me about when I
started with clipless. Eventually I switched over to single
release cleats with no problems.

One other suggestion. Sit on the bike in your living room
and practice clipping in and out about 50 times on each
pedal. This will do things. First, it'll help your muscle
memory, hopefully making it a bit easier to unclip when
riding the bike. Second, I've found that the SPD cleants
feel a bit "notchy" when new. After they get used for a bit,
the release tends to feel a bit smoother. Breaking them in
while not riding might help.

As for unclipping on technical sections...I'd only unclip at
the last second, and only if I thought I might fall
otherwise. If you actually want to MAKE the section, don't
unclip. My only personal exception is on VERY tight
switchbacks, where I'll occasionally unclip my inside foot.
However, that's because I'm not very good at switchbacks.

All in the FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm#2.5

"Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm currently trying experimenting with clipless pedals
> but on my first couple of rides I've found they've
> hindered my confidence in places. I was wondering how
> other people get on with clipless.
>
> Do many people unclip before technical sections? And what
> I really missed was the ability to just dab a foot if the
> back wheel starts to lose grip on a fast loose corner. Can
> a rider's unclipping reactions ever get good enough to
> recover this without unclipping in anticipation?
>
> Paul

And just to redress the balance, not everyone uses clipless
pedals :)

Steve.

Paul <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm currently trying experimenting with clipless pedals
> but on my first couple of rides I've found they've
> hindered my confidence in places. I was wondering how
> other people get on with clipless.
>
> Do many people unclip before technical sections? And what
> I really missed was the ability to just dab a foot if the
> back wheel starts to lose grip on a fast loose corner. Can
> a rider's unclipping reactions ever get good enough to
> recover this without unclipping in anticipation?
>
> Paul

Try riding on your front or back yard first and practice
getting in/out of them. Set your pedals really loose.

--
- Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

Paul <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm currently trying experimenting with clipless pedals
> but on my first couple of rides I've found they've
> hindered my confidence in places. I was wondering how
> other people get on with clipless.
>
> Do many people unclip before technical sections? And what
> I really missed was the ability to just dab a foot if the
> back wheel starts to lose grip on a fast loose corner. Can
> a rider's unclipping reactions ever get good enough to
> recover this without unclipping in anticipation?

What learning curve? Our feet were designed to rotate toe-in/heel-
out in every step-off-the-pedal situation.

Just kidding.

I will agree with what most other folks have said. I clip
out when there's a lot of exposure on a particular trail, or
where the surface is loose such that instant washout is a
real hazard (like the ultra-new trail I rode on last night.)

Practicing on a nice lawn out of the view of folks who might
laugh when you fall down is a real key. Trackstand clipped
in, until you start to go over, then unclip. If you fall
down, get up and do it again. You get to work on two useful
skill that way - trackstanding and clipping out quickly.

I find that when I am tired, I have trouble clipping out, so
I clip out if I'm really feeling the weight of the ride.

Keep at it - pretty soon it's all automagic.
--
Jonesy

> And just to redress the balance, not everyone uses clipless pedals :)

Agreed - I've rediscovered XC riding after beginning to use
flats/platform pedals exclusively. No slip, excellent
bunnyhop performance, and decent efficiency to boot...

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Paul <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm currently trying experimenting with clipless pedals
> but on my first couple of rides I've found they've
> hindered my confidence in places. I was wondering how
> other people get on with clipless.
>
> Do many people unclip before technical sections? And what
> I really missed was the ability to just dab a foot if the
> back wheel starts to lose grip on a fast loose corner. Can
> a rider's unclipping reactions ever get good enough to
> recover this without unclipping in anticipation?
>
> Paul

Hey Paul, don't be a *****!

anyway, so you'll get back on and pedal back to the
trailhead.

It's not much of a curve, really. It looks more like a
right triangle.

/s

supabonbon wrote:
> Paul <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<40da0dee$0$280$cc9e4d1f@news-
> text.dial.pipex.com>...
>> I'm currently trying experimenting with clipless pedals
>> but on my first couple of rides I've found they've
>> hindered my confidence in places. I was wondering how
>> other people get on with clipless.
>>
>> Do many people unclip before technical sections? And what
>> I really missed was the ability to just dab a foot if the
>> back wheel starts to lose grip on a fast loose corner.
>> Can a rider's unclipping reactions ever get good enough
>> to recover this without unclipping in anticipation?
>>
>> Paul
>
> Hey Paul, don't be a *****!

> anyway, so you'll get back on and pedal back to the
> trailhead.

> It's not much of a curve, really. It looks more like a
> right triangle.

> /s

I agree with pottymouth.

Bill "had a football-sized hematoma on right hip in '96 (and
it's STILL tender!)" S.

S o r n i wrote:
> supabonbon wrote:
>> Paul <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<40da0dee$0$280$cc9e4d1f@news-
>> text.dial.pipex.com>...
>>> I'm currently trying experimenting with clipless pedals
>>> but on my first couple of rides I've found they've
>>> hindered my confidence in places. I was wondering how
>>> other people get on with clipless.
>>>
>>> Do many people unclip before technical sections? And
>>> what I really missed was the ability to just dab a foot
>>> if the back wheel starts to lose grip on a fast loose
>>> corner. Can a rider's unclipping reactions ever get good
>>> enough to recover this without unclipping in
>>> anticipation?
>>>
>>> Paul
>>
>> Hey Paul, don't be a *****!

>> ride out anyway, so you'll get back on and pedal back to
>> the trailhead.

>> It's not much of a curve, really. It looks more like
>> a right

>> dramatically. /s
>
> I agree with pottymouth.

I do too... it's a bit like housebreaking a dog.

> Bill "had a football-sized hematoma on right hip in '96
> (and it's STILL tender!)" S.

I had a football implanted in my skull... I look like that
big-headed mousey bald guy on Star Trek Deep something 9.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training