Clipless newbie questions

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Calz, May 14, 2003.

  1. Calz

    Calz Guest

    I've been toying with the idea ages, scanned through dejanews, spoke to friends etc and finally
    bought a pair of Egg beaters today, already had a pair of Rockhopper shoes which I'd been using with
    my flat pedals a while now.

    Fitting was a breeze for pedal & cleet, I'm assuming the cleet lines up with the ball of your foot
    ie the knobly bit that sticks out on the joint of your big toe on the inside of your foot? (for lack
    of a better description)

    Next I went out onto the patio, clipped foot in clipped out for a bit, I notice you need quite a bit
    of pressure to engage them but theres a nice solid click when you do, then I used the wall to rest
    against and clipped both in/out no problem, at this point I turned into the trick master bunny
    hopping around the patio.

    Cool I thought as I stopped.. at this point gravity and the lack of movement on my part took over
    and I panicked trying to just wrench my foot out and Oooof! hello patio slabs.

    No point in reinventing the wheel so any tips for a first timer? Weather permitting my virgin ride
    on them will be tomorrow on my own.

    Steve

    Tags:

  2. "Calz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've been toying with the idea ages, scanned through dejanews, spoke to friends etc and finally
    > bought a pair of Egg beaters today, already had a pair of Rockhopper shoes which I'd been using
    > with my flat pedals a while now.
    >
    > Fitting was a breeze for pedal & cleet, I'm assuming the cleet lines up with the ball of your foot
    > ie the knobly bit that sticks out on the joint of your big toe on the inside of your foot? (for
    > lack of a better description)
    >
    > Next I went out onto the patio, clipped foot in clipped out for a bit, I notice you need quite a
    > bit of pressure to engage them but theres a nice solid click when you do, then I used the wall to
    > rest against and clipped both in/out no problem, at this point I turned into the trick master
    > bunny hopping around the patio.
    >
    > Cool I thought as I stopped.. at this point gravity and the lack of movement on my part took over
    > and I panicked trying to just wrench my foot out and Oooof! hello patio slabs.
    >

    > No point in reinventing the wheel so any tips for a first timer? Weather permitting my virgin ride
    > on them will be tomorrow on my own.
    >
    > Steve
    First tip, don't pratice on the patio slab ... oh, you already knew that :)

    Pratice on grass, that sort of thing. Make your first few rides on easier stuff (road included)
    where you can remember to think about unclipping, instead of that next rock garden ahead. Anyone can
    clip and unclip, you have already learned how, now the trick is learning to do it without thinking
    about it. That will take time, I think it helps to pratice, but you'll still have a few crashes.

    Hang in there, it will soon become second nature.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  3. Gyp

    Gyp Guest

    Calz wrote:
    > No point in reinventing the wheel so any tips for a first timer? Weather permitting my virgin ride
    > on them will be tomorrow on my own.

    I recently took the plunge myself.. and was very supprised quite how easy it was to get used to them
    and how much of an improvement I could feel from using them.

    My only advice is to take it easy for a couple of weeks, just get used to riding with the them and
    don't go mad. My other half seems to think that I'm collecting different coloured bruises on my legs
    and is starting to point out shin and leg guards when we visit cycling shops. <Chuckle>

    Gyp

  4. Edwards

    Edwards Guest

    I echo Craig's sentiments but will also add that panicking is the last thing to do when trying to
    clip out. Just relax and snap the heel outward and dab the foot.....see? easy huh? Now just
    translate that to your riding and you'll be alright.

    Edwards

  5. "Calz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've been toying with the idea ages, scanned through dejanews, spoke to friends etc and finally
    > bought a pair of Egg beaters today, already had a pair of Rockhopper shoes which I'd been using
    > with my flat pedals a while now.
    >
    > Fitting was a breeze for pedal & cleet, I'm assuming the cleet lines up with the ball of your foot
    > ie the knobly bit that sticks out on the joint of your big toe on the inside of your foot? (for
    > lack of a better description)
    >
    > Next I went out onto the patio, clipped foot in clipped out for a bit, I notice you need quite a
    > bit of pressure to engage them but theres a nice solid click when you do, then I used the wall to
    > rest against and clipped both in/out no problem, at this point I turned into the trick master
    > bunny hopping around the patio.
    >
    > Cool I thought as I stopped.. at this point gravity and the lack of movement on my part took over
    > and I panicked trying to just wrench my foot out and Oooof! hello patio slabs.
    >

    > No point in reinventing the wheel so any tips for a first timer?

    Play around on the grass instead of the patio. It makes for softer landings.

  6. Ctg

    Ctg Guest

  7. Bo Lind

    Bo Lind Guest

    Calz wrote:

    > No point in reinventing the wheel so any tips for a first timer? Weather permitting my virgin ride
    > on them will be tomorrow on my own.

    Like the others are saying, take it easy for a while, you will fall a little, but mostly when going
    slow. Gloves is a must here.

    If you find you're a complete dork about it, you could try what my brother
    did: First learn to ride with one clipless and one normal pedal. Then, when that works, switch 'em,
    and learn that, and presto! You're riding clipless.

    Bo

  8. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Bo Lind wrote:
    > Calz wrote:
    >

    >>No point in reinventing the wheel so any tips for a first timer? Weather permitting my virgin ride
    >>on them will be tomorrow on my own.
    >

    > Like the others are saying, take it easy for a while, you will fall a little, but mostly when
    > going slow. Gloves is a must here.
    >
    > If you find you're a complete dork about it, you could try what my brother
    > did: First learn to ride with one clipless and one normal pedal. Then, when that works, switch
    > 'em, and learn that, and presto! You're riding clipless.
    >
    > Bo

    One of the advantages of starting with SPD before going to egg beaters is that I could set the
    spring tension so that I could easily yank out of them in a panic -- without twisting. This let me
    get used to them -- I gradually tightened the tension until I had to yank really hard. BUT, I found
    that when I got a lot better and didn't want to be able to yank out any more, I couldn't set them to
    both let me twist out readily AND not yank out on rough terrain when I didn't want to (this included
    858's and 959's -- the 858's where the worst). That's why *I* tried egg beaters (and love 'em). If
    the twist-out's not working for you, try heel-out/push: while turning your foot, push outward
    (really just and outward push of the heel and foot) -- this is more logical for me and seems to take
    less motion when I'm in a hurry to get out :).

    David

  9. On Thu, 15 May 2003 01:55:08 +0000, James Messick did issue forth:

    > Play around on the grass instead of the patio. It makes for softer landings.

    Yup. And make sure that there's no-one around when you're doing it.

    --
    Huw Pritchard

  10. Gav

    Gav Guest

    Calz <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... [..]
    > Cool I thought as I stopped.. at this point gravity and the lack of movement on my part took over
    > and I panicked trying to just wrench my foot out and Oooof! hello patio slabs.
    >

    > No point in reinventing the wheel so any tips for a first timer? Weather permitting my virgin ride
    > on them will be tomorrow on my own.

    Just practice somewhere 'safe' like a grassy area for half an hour before going out onto a hard
    surface. Also try loosening up the fastening mechanism a bit more than you would normally expect
    it to be set at - it will make those inevitable 'emergency' unclippings (when you stop but have
    forgotten to get out of the pedal) a lot easier. Don't do any challenging terrain at first -
    stick to flat areas until you get the feel for clipping and unclipping.

    Within a couple of days it will become second nature. I'm hardly the world's greatest mtb'er but
    even I got the hang of clipless pedals after a day or two.

    Gav

  11. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    Calz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    <snip>

    > Weather permitting my virgin ride on them will be tomorrow on my own.

    ~50% of all virgins bleed the first time. After that you won't be a virgin any more ... but you will
    probably go on bleeding.

  12. "Calz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've been toying with the idea ages, scanned through dejanews, spoke to friends etc and finally
    > bought a pair of Egg beaters today, already had a pair of Rockhopper shoes which I'd been using
    > with my flat pedals a while now.
    >
    > Fitting was a breeze for pedal & cleet, I'm assuming the cleet lines up with the ball of your foot
    > ie the knobly bit that sticks out on the joint of your big toe on the inside of your foot? (for
    > lack of a better description)
    >
    > Next I went out onto the patio, clipped foot in clipped out for a bit, I notice you need quite a
    > bit of pressure to engage them but theres a nice solid click when you do, then I used the wall to
    > rest against and clipped both in/out no problem, at this point I turned into the trick master
    > bunny hopping around the patio.
    >
    > Cool I thought as I stopped.. at this point gravity and the lack of movement on my part took over
    > and I panicked trying to just wrench my foot out and Oooof! hello patio slabs.
    >

    > No point in reinventing the wheel so any tips for a first timer? Weather permitting my virgin ride
    > on them will be tomorrow on my own.
    >
    > Steve

    I went clipless about a month ago. Eating dirt a couple times while forgetting to unclip is part of
    the deal. But the improvement you get, particularly in climbing, is well worth the minor scrapes
    and bruises.

    You'll get the hang of it. Someone else mentioned adjusting the tension lighter at first, but I
    don't think you can do that with beaters.

  13. > No point in reinventing the wheel so any tips for a first timer?

    I agree with all of the other posts so far. When I went clipless, I would ride down a long straight
    road (with no traffic) and practice clipping in and out over and over with each leg. To me, this
    seemed to speed up the natural reaction. I also gave me a chance to pedal with one leg, which I've
    head is good practice for pedaling in a circle. Good luck!

    Scott