Clipless Pedal Advice?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by CaptDave, Aug 25, 2003.

1. CaptDave

CaptDave New Member

My new bike came with Wellgo RC-713 SPD compatible pedals, so I purchased a sport pair of shoes; Pearl Zumi Vagabond to accomodate the SPD type cleat. They have a recessed channel in tread for cleat, so you may walk about some without chewing up the cleats or floors.

I am not comfortable with this pedal. One sided clip has hard to find entry position and slow to release, even with minimal tension setting of springs. I refuse to fall sideways again at a sudden stop, when the cleats won't release even with full travel twist out!

Please suggest an easier entry/exit pedal for sport rider. I am leaning toward the Shimano M-515, M-520, or M-324 dual sided clip series so far. My shoes will not accept the wide platform type cleats of the higher end road pedals.

Thanks for your input!

Tags:

2. rek

rek New Member

If you're after an SPD cleat pedal, you might want to look at Shimano's brand new offerings -- M520 and M540 I think they are -- they're like their top end pedal, but made with cheaper materials/processes. I have M515s on my mountain bike.. they're solid and user-friendly, but heavy and not nice in muddy/wet conditions.

If it's only the SPD shoe bolt pattern that is holding you back from other pedal types, there are other options you can look at. Two I've started to look into myself are the Time ATAC and Crank Bros. Eggbeater pedals.

3. micman75

micman75 New Member

I am also in the market for some new pedals. I think Look are still the best, time tested. SPDs don't give as large a platform as LOOk.

4. JohnO

JohnO New Member

Be sure your cleats are tight. I put a set of spd's on my MTB, and cracked up big time when I couldn't unclip. Found that the cleats themself were a little bit loose, whch made unclipping very difficult. Tightened the cleats, and they release very easy.

For road use, I prefer the wider platform of the road specific pedals like Look or Time. I run campy pro-fit, which are essentially a copy of the Look pedals. Cant' walk around very well with the cleats on, but I spend most of my time in those shoes riding, not walking.

5. aeon16

aeon16 New Member

Oh boy. I had a near-nasty fall the other day at traffic lights, when I couldn't unclip. I had to actually step out of the shoes in the end and quickly get out of there as fast as possible. (Very busy main road)

Upon looking at the cleats I'd lost one entire screw and assorted bits from one cleat. Wobbled all over the place.

So yes. Make sure they're always tight.