Clipless Pedal and Shoe Advice

GreenSaints

May 8, 2010
Hi All,

I'm doing a charity cycle from London to Paris in September (seemed like a good idea at the time!) so I have been training for about a month so far, and I think now is the time to start getting the proper equipment so it doesn't look like I just filled in the form one Friday night while eating pizza (which did happen!)

I've been reading about clipless pedals but really don't have any idea what the difference are between the different types and more importantly which ones would be the best.

I have a budget of around £60-70 for both the pedals and shoes. I would prefer shoes that I can walk in (i.e. without anything attached to the bottom) when I'm unclipped, but other than that, I'm in your hands for advice!

Thanks in advance

Tas*

GreenSaints said:
Hi All,

I'm doing a charity cycle from London to Paris in September (seemed like a good idea at the time!) so I have been training for about a month so far, and I think now is the time to start getting the proper equipment so it doesn't look like I just filled in the form one Friday night while eating pizza (which did happen!)

I've been reading about clipless pedals but really don't have any idea what the difference are between the different types and more importantly which ones would be the best.

I have a budget of around £60-70 for both the pedals and shoes. I would prefer shoes that I can walk in (i.e. without anything attached to the bottom) when I'm unclipped, but other than that, I'm in your hands for advice!

Thanks in advance

Tas*

There is always something attached to the bottom but if you use spd style cleats and shoes some are recessed so they are easier to walk in. Check what is available in spd or spd type pedals and compatable shoes.

GreenSaints said:
Hi All,

Thanks in advance

Tas*

Sounds like a great ride. I would strongly recommend the spd system which allows you to walk around easily when you are off the bike. The cleat is always attached to the shoe whatever system you choose but with the spd system the cleat in the shoe is small and recessed as opposed to the larger external style cleat for road specific riding. You can get a pedal which is flat platform on one side and and clip on the other often used by mountain bikers and perfect for touring, but a little heavy or a pedal with clips on both sides, also good for touring. Both are very easy to get in and out of. Buy your shoes and pedals at the same time and ask the bike shop to fit the cleats to the shoes and pedals to your bike and have the pedals adjusted to a loose tension to start with. Practice getting in and out in a safe area to start with. Shimano shoes and pedals have a great range and are reasonably priced.

Hi There!

FYI, I'm relatively new to biking too!
I mean, I've always gotten on my bike for fun with (and without the hubby) but lately, I've been noticing that I'm flabby! LOL
So, I started taking spin classes a while back and I'm super into biking now!
I'm mostly trail/mountain, but I supplement that with Spin when I can't do the real thing.

Anyhow, I'm also new to clipless and I just bought a pair of Shimano WM-50's (which I'm waiting impatiently for them to arrive). I chose this shoe because its for Mountain biking and has the tread (plus I liked 'em and I found them at a very affordable price) and a pair of Shimano M520 pedals (in white).

I've done a good deal of research and it seems to be the consensus online and at my LBS that these M520 pedals are ideal for SPD beginners due to the ease of entry/exit (and the relatively low cost and their being readily available--a very popular beginner and intermediate choice).

I will let you know how both turn out to be if you'd like!
(if I hate 'em... there's always eBay! LOL, seems like even "used" bike accessories have a market with a decent return!)

(neither website is the one I went through, just the easiest link)
(Campmor.com is where I purchased the shoes @ the best price + shipping)

SHOES: Shimano WM-50's http://www.sportsbasement.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=WM50-10!Shima
PEDALS: Shimano M520's Shimano M520 Clipless SPD Pedals | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

ALMOST FORGOT! It kinda sucks when the orginal question is ignored! LOL
This link was very helpful to me when I was researching and trying to figure out my own solution to the clipless quandry!
http://www.caree.org/bike101cliplesspedals.htm