Clipless Pedal/cleat compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Yellowstone Yet

Can anyone direct me to a source for which pedals and cleats are compatible with each other? An
online chart, perhaps? I have checked out the chart in the back of Zinn's mtn bike maintenance book,
but it hasn't been updated for several years. I have Wellgo 98A cleats on my shoes. I want to get a
used set of clipless pedals for my beater bike. Will this cleat fit all wellgo mtn bike pedals? How
about Shimano? VP? Nashbar? Performance? Ritchey? Kore? Ascent? Specialized? Bontrager? WTB?
Obviously, they won't fit Time, Beaters, Frogs, or any road pedal. Any other pedals that will work
with these cleats. Can anyone help me out?

"Yellowstone Yeti" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can anyone direct me to a source for which pedals and cleats are compatible with each other? An
> online chart, perhaps? I have checked out the chart in the back of Zinn's mtn bike maintenance
> book, but it hasn't been updated for several years. I have Wellgo 98A cleats on my shoes. I want
> to get a used set of clipless pedals for my beater bike. Will this cleat fit all wellgo mtn bike
> pedals? How about Shimano? VP? Nashbar? Performance? Ritchey? Kore? Ascent? Specialized?
> Bontrager? WTB? Obviously, they won't fit Time, Beaters, Frogs, or any road pedal. Any other
> pedals that will work with these cleats. Can anyone help me out?

Wellgo pedals came on one of my bikes but the shop said Wellgo isn't completely compatible with
Shimano. I still had 3 sets of Shimano cleats (each different) and 2 -1/2 sets of pedals so I told
them to keep the pedals and they fixed one of my other bikes for free. Good deal for me.

Two or three years ago Shimano had a table on their site matching their cleats to their pedals.

Doug Toronto

Basically if the pedal looks like an SPD pedal an SPD cleat will do the job.

Postings on Mountain Bike Review have suggested that Bontager RE-1 pedal bindings can be damaged if other than Bontrager cleats are used.

Bottom line is that it is always best to use the same brand cleat as the pedal and if all else fails SPD cleats will function with similar style bindings.

"Yellowstone Yeti" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can anyone direct me to a source for which pedals and cleats are compatible with each other? An
> online chart, perhaps? I have checked out the chart in the back of Zinn's mtn bike maintenance
> book, but it hasn't been updated for several years. I have Wellgo 98A cleats on my shoes. I want
> to get a used set of clipless pedals for my beater bike. Will this cleat fit all wellgo mtn bike
> pedals? How about Shimano? VP? Nashbar? Performance? Ritchey? Kore? Ascent? Specialized?
> Bontrager? WTB? Obviously, they won't fit Time, Beaters, Frogs, or any road pedal. Any other
> pedals that will work with these cleats. Can anyone help me out?

My experience has been that Wellgo 98A pedals will work with most Shimano SPD pedals. Some of the
Shimano cleats won't work with some of the Wellgo pedals that come with 98A's, other Wellgo
pedals with 98A's seem to work with Shimano cleats. Wellgo seems to have a variety of cleat
designs, some are not SPD compatible at all, I imagine others aren't 98A compatible either. I
would try before buy.

I have a pair of Wellgo WPD-410 pedals that use the 98A cleats. Just had the experience of getting a set of Shimano multi-release cleats that did not work with the pedals. Doesn't of course mean that the reverse is true (ie compatibility of 98A's with Shimano pedals), but my advice would be to make sure the shop you buy from is happy to exchange the pedals if they aren't compatible.

Cheers,
Hamsta

Status
Not open for further replies.