Clipless Pedal Judgements

On Jun 23, 7:48 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I used to use Look until I switch to SPD about 14 years ago. I have
> had nashbar red spd pedals since they came up with them. They are
> cheap and work great. I've used the same pair of Sidi MTB shoes for
> both road and mtb riding since 2000. I.ve never had any problems
> climbing, sprinting, pedaling hard and pulling up, which I always do
> even though some people claim it doesn't work. In my MTB, I have the
> tension very, very light and they don't disengage unless I want them
> to. The local roadies would rather be caught dead than wearing mtb
> shoes, even if they ride with spd pedals.  I guess that they ability
> to walk normally cramps their style.

Hmm, have you taken an actual poll, or is this last comment just a
sarcasm against "roadies"?

You know, the leg-shaving and much of the other clique-ish, "you're
one of us or not" behavior is generated from what it's like (dangerous
and a whole lot of stupid) to try to ride SAFELY in a group,
especially one that has been joined by a boneheaded outsider or two,
especially when said dumbbells _already know_ how to ride a paceline,
for instance, but refuse to, because, for instance, "nobody tells
_them_ what to do"? Or, because they "don't like roadies"? And they
get in the way and screw up the ride on purpose? Because they're angry
about being an outsider, and they're an outsider because they won't
get in the canoe and paddle?

I'm just sayin'.

A road club jersey is a red flag to some people... and that is
indicative of the mindset.

OK, the SPD's. If you could put any of the road cleats on a Dominator
in the same EZ-Instal manner as with the various Sidi road shoes, at
least where I live, Dominator use would go way, way up in road
circles. A lot of roadies are actually not so dumb (insert punchline
here), for one thing, and for another, when the 'crossers (including
local event winners and Nationals attenders) come on our Sunday
excursions (road), the Dom's/whatnot are admired. Yes, some rides make
a point of not stopping. Some rides make a point of enjoying stops,
and it's good when there are choices.

SPD might work very well for Road; personally, they have a problem
here from Spin class experience, even with substantial discount given
for the cheap and well-worn pedals (many in/out cycles) common in Spin
bikes, I haven't enjoyed the feel, while using the SH-51's, and have
no desire to try the '56's. But, I've ridden in fast (insert punchline
here) road rides where there was at least one person in SPD sandals
who got along just fine.

Personally, my compromise is the SPD-SL. Not perfect, maybe but they
work on the bike and they walk better and wear better than Look (old)
and Campy ProFit, the other two clipless I've had outdoors experience
with. --D-y

[email protected] wrote:

> You know, the leg-shaving and much of the other clique-ish, "you're
> one of us or not" behavior is generated from what it's like (dangerous
> and a whole lot of stupid) to try to ride SAFELY in a group,
> especially one that has been joined by a boneheaded outsider or two,
> especially when said dumbbells _already know_ how to ride a paceline,
> for instance, but refuse to, because, for instance, "nobody tells
> _them_ what to do"? Or, because they "don't like roadies"? And they
> get in the way and screw up the ride on purpose? Because they're angry
> about being an outsider, and they're an outsider because they won't
> get in the canoe and paddle?

I'd say the majority of "roadies" I ride with (pace line):

Never have ridden off-road.

Know very little about bike tech.

Have terrible bike handling skills.

Have bad pace line habits.

I don't think the "clique-ish-ness" has anything to do with safety.

I have a couple of pairs of "road" shoes, and a couple of pairs of
"road" pedals that have just collected dust for years. I bought them at
the advice of the LBS, before I knew any better. I've used dominators &
spuds for a decade now, on & off road. I don't shave my legs, either.

On Jun 23, 2:00 pm, Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > You know, the leg-shaving and much of the other clique-ish, "you're
> > one of us or not" behavior is generated from what it's like (dangerous
> > and a whole lot of stupid) to try to ride SAFELY in a group,
> > especially one that has been joined by a boneheaded outsider or two,
> > especially when said dumbbells _already know_ how to ride a paceline,
> > for instance, but refuse to, because, for instance, "nobody tells
> > _them_ what to do"? Or, because they "don't like roadies"? And they
> > get in the way and screw up the ride on purpose? Because they're angry
> > about being an outsider, and they're an outsider because they won't
> > get in the canoe and paddle?

> I'd say the majority of "roadies" I ride with (pace line):
>
> Never have ridden off-road.
>
> Know very little about bike tech.
>
> Have terrible bike handling skills.
>
> Have bad pace line habits.
>
> I don't think the "clique-ish-ness" has anything to do with safety.
>
> I have a couple of pairs of "road" shoes, and a couple of pairs of
> "road" pedals that have just collected dust for years. I bought them at
> the advice of the LBS, before I knew any better. I've used dominators &
> spuds for a decade now, on & off road. I don't shave my legs, either.

Well, what can I say, it's a big world.

I used to shave my legs.

I went faster back then, too. --D-y

I have always favored the look pedals with float, despite the fact
they are death traps in the 7-11 and the stairs at my 3rd story walk-
up. But recently I have been riding time mountain bike cleats with
float/dominator shoes/atac pedals on my fixed gear road bike and love
them. The platform of the looks is still better, but I am seriously
considering putting time mountain pedal on the real road bike. maybe
just to ******** the "true" roadies, maybe cause its good.