clipless pedal question(Time specifically)

William Pughe

Guest
Well, my trusted Ritchies died last year so I'm needing to
get some new pedals. I picked up a pair of Speedplay, but
unfortunately they don't let you clip out to the inside. My
shins are sick of getting trapped between my bike and the
rocks. They're great for non-technical riding, which pretty
much rules out all the trails I ride around here.

I was looking at the Time cleats this weekend, and noticed
that they are not symmetrical. Does this make it harder to
clip out in one direction than the other? Basically I would
like a pedal that is easy to clip out of in both directions,
doesn't get gummed up with mud, and has some float.

Thanks in adavance.

Will

"William Pughe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well, my trusted Ritchies died last year so I'm needing to
> get some new pedals. I picked up a pair of Speedplay, but
> unfortunately they don't let you clip out to the inside.
> My shins are sick of getting trapped between my bike and
> the rocks. They're great for non-technical riding, which
> pretty much rules out all the trails I ride around here.
>
> I was looking at the Time cleats this weekend, and noticed
> that they are not symmetrical. Does this make it harder to
> clip out in one
direction
> than the other? Basically I would like a pedal that is
> easy to clip out
of
> in both directions, doesn't get gummed up with mud, and
> has some float.

You would have to grind the cleat a little to clip out on
the inside.

Have you thought about the Ritchie Pros .They are designed
Like the shamano
959 .Work good for me .Good mud clearance and a little float
. Just my opionion

--
J/O TrailBlazer At Large

"Jamie TrailBlazer At Large" <[email protected]> writes:

> Have you thought about the Ritchie Pros .They are designed
> Like the shamano
> 959 .Work good for me .Good mud clearance and a little
> float . Just my opionion
>
> --
> J/O TrailBlazer At Large
All options are still on the table, just trying to figure
out what's best. Ritchie definitely makes good pedals.

However, the LBS has Time in stock, and I'd like them before
heading to CO/UT next week.

William Pughe wrote:
> "Jamie TrailBlazer At Large" <[email protected]> writes:
>

>>Have you thought about the Ritchie Pros .They are designed
>>Like the shamano
>>959 .Work good for me .Good mud clearance and a little
>> float . Just my opionion
>>
>>--
>>J/O TrailBlazer At Large
>
> All options are still on the table, just trying to figure
> out what's best. Ritchie definitely makes good pedals.
>
> However, the LBS has Time in stock, and I'd like them
> before heading to CO/UT next week.

I missed the start of this thread, sorry if this response is
out of context. I recently switched to Eggbeaters and am
very happy. They don't seem to have the "positive snap
in/out" that I am used to with Shimano, but they feel very
good. I've had zero problems in slightly muddy conditions,
and the slightly smaller platform does not seem to bother
me. No comment on their long term durability ... yet.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)

On 26 Apr 2004 15:31:08 -0400, William Pughe <[email protected]> wrote:

>Well, my trusted Ritchies died last year so I'm needing to
>get some new pedals. I picked up a pair of Speedplay, but
>unfortunately they don't let you clip out to the inside. My
>shins are sick of getting trapped between my bike and the
>rocks. They're great for non-technical riding, which pretty
>much rules out all the trails I ride around here.
>
>I was looking at the Time cleats this weekend, and
>noticed that they are not symmetrical. Does this make it
>harder to clip out in one direction than the other?
>Basically I would like a pedal that is easy to clip out
>of in both directions, doesn't get gummed up with mud,
>and has some float.
>
>Thanks in adavance.
>
>Will

I have been using the ATAC's for about three years on my
road and mtn bikes. They clip out in both directions with no
problem and work well in all conditions with little to not
maintenance. They also take a lot of abuse. My riding buddy
uses the original egg beaters and they work equally well,
unless you are not clipped in, then they tend to roll under
your feet. If you go that route I highly suggest the ones
with the platform.

William Pughe <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I was looking at the Time cleats this weekend, and
> noticed that they are not symmetrical. Does this make it
> harder to clip out in one direction than the other?
> Basically I would like a pedal that is easy to clip out
> of in both directions, doesn't get gummed up with mud,
> and has some float.

I've been using Time ATACs for 4-5 years now. You can
definitely clip out in both directions. Because they're
asymetrical, it takes a different amount of rotation to
unclip in each direction. Time now marks the cleats right &
left, but mentions mounting them reversed if you tend to
ride with your toes pointing in.

They are excellent in New England mud, both clipping in and
out. The bearings on my original Carbons have been amazingly
durable. They've outlasted 2, maybe 3 XT bottom brackets
with zero maintenance.

Downside is the wear issue. As the cleats wear your
retention gradually diminishes. The pedals wear (at a slower
rate) too, so cleats reach their effective end of life
quicker as the pedals age.

They have some float, but nothing like Frogs. The amount of
float also varies over time depending on the relative wear
of the cleats & pedals.

HTH, Dave Dowler

Craig Brossman <[email protected]> writes:

> William Pughe wrote:
> > "Jamie TrailBlazer At Large" <[email protected]>
> > writes:
> >

> >>Have you thought about the Ritchie Pros .They are
> >>designed Like the shamano
> >>959 .Work good for me .Good mud clearance and a little
> >> float . Just my opionion
> >>
> >> --
> >>J/O TrailBlazer At Large
> > All options are still on the table, just trying to
> > figure out what's best.
>
> > Ritchie definitely makes good pedals. However, the
> > LBS has Time in stock, and I'd like them before
> > heading to CO/UT
>
> > next week.
>
> I missed the start of this thread, sorry if this response
> is out of context. I recently switched to Eggbeaters and
> am very happy. They don't seem to have the "positive snap
> in/out" that I am used to with Shimano, but they feel very
> good. I've had zero problems in slightly muddy conditions,
> and the slightly smaller platform does not seem to bother
> me. No comment on their long term durability ... yet.
>

> --
> Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam"
> to reply)
The egg beaters look good, but I've heard that the cleats
wear out really quickly. Which isn't a problem I guess, as
long as it's easy to change the cleats.

William Pughe wrote:

> Craig Brossman <[email protected]> writes:

>>I missed the start of this thread, sorry if this response
>>is out of context. I recently switched to Eggbeaters and
>>am very happy. They don't seem to have the "positive snap
>>in/out" that I am used to with Shimano, but they feel very
>>good. I've had zero problems in slightly muddy conditions,
>>and the slightly smaller platform does not seem to bother
>>me. No comment on their long term durability ... yet.
>>

>>--
>>Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam"
>>to reply)
>
> The egg beaters look good, but I've heard that the cleats
> wear out really quickly. Which isn't a problem I guess, as
> long as it's easy to change the cleats.

I have heard the same, but they are easy to change.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)