Clipless pedal question....why the platforms?

vpr80

Apr 13, 2006
Ok so I decied to get a set of clipless pedals so I was ready to buy them, but I ran into a little problem. I wanted to get either the Shimano SPD cheapies or the Egg Beaters, but then I saw the same pedals, but with "cages" around them.

So can someone please exaplain to me what those are for if you are locked into the pedal anyway?

I don't know whether to get the regular Shimano 520's, Egg Beaters, or the Candy SL pedals?

I have Shimano 545s, which have a fairly large cage. They allow riding without cleats and riding unclipped. They also press against the shoe, increasing the contact area.

I guess some can be used without cleats, but about these?
Crank Borthers Candy
Crank Borthers Smarty
Crank Borthers Quattro

They look like very small platforms with the clip sticking out in the middle so I don't see how they can be used without cleats?

I'm just confused....given the choice, which one should I get for road riding? I don't go off-road, but I want shoes with recessed cleats so I can walk around off the bike (hence the MTB pedals)

Shimano PD-M520/540
Crank Bros Egg Beaters
Crank Bros Candy
Crank Bros Smarty
Crank Bros Quattro

hi, I use spd's, dual sided with no 'cage' my advice is that if you always wear cleated shoes and don't anticipate smashing your pedals on anything horizontally (no, i'm not joking I know people who think of the cage as protection for the pedal). Then go for a normal uncaged spds (which is what I use(the silver ones)) or eggbeaters, they're cheaper and lighter and easier to use. If you anticipate using uncleated shoes as well, there are also single-sided spd's avai;able ( I've got a rubbish pair, but there are good ones, see gclark8's thumbnail).
F.G

vpr80 said:
Ok so I decied to get a set of clipless pedals so I was ready to buy them, but I ran into a little problem. I wanted to get either the Shimano SPD cheapies or the Egg Beaters, but then I saw the same pedals, but with "cages" around them.

So can someone please exaplain to me what those are for if you are locked into the pedal anyway?

I don't know whether to get the regular Shimano 520's, Egg Beaters, or the Candy SL pedals?

SHimano SPD cheapies have a plastic platform adaptor that clips in place then you can use them as regular platform pedals. Are you referring to these? If so you can just unclip the adaptors.

I once brought the caged version of the those pedals and during the life of the pedals, I only once rode them without my cleated shoes, 2K to the hardware store, so don't bother. For such a short distance, you can still pedal on the non-cage version with normal shoes.

Alternately you can get a pedal plate that clicks into the cleat and converts it to a flat pedal. I know someone who does this so he can ride his mountain bike a short distance to work with his work clothes and shoes on.