clipless pedal question

Michael Cook

Guest
I'm new to this, and I don't know what the different type of pedals, cleats
and shoes are. Certain shoes will only accept certain cleats. (I hope I am
explaining this right)

Anyway, I got some entry level shoes that "accepts SPD-style cleats (Shimano
SPD, Time ATAC, Eggbeater, etc)" . I ordered a bike, which I have not
received yet, but the pedal description says "Wellgo double sided clipless
with cleats and reflectors".

My question, are these compatible? If not, am I better off returning my
unused shoes and get some that are compatible? OR Get different pedals?

Michael Cook wrote:
> I'm new to this, and I don't know what the different type of pedals, cleats
> and shoes are. Certain shoes will only accept certain cleats. (I hope I am
> explaining this right)
>
> Anyway, I got some entry level shoes that "accepts SPD-style cleats (Shimano
> SPD, Time ATAC, Eggbeater, etc)" . I ordered a bike, which I have not
> received yet, but the pedal description says "Wellgo double sided clipless
> with cleats and reflectors".
>
> My question, are these compatible? If not, am I better off returning my
> unused shoes and get some that are compatible? OR Get different pedals?

Yes. They'll probably be
SPD-style, compatible with
Shimano SPD cleats.

I personally don't care for
SPD-style cleats, but many
here like them fine. Also,
don't think that because you
don't like the Wellgo pedals,
that you'll hate all SPDs.
They vary. . or so I hear. I
switched to eggbeater candies
and haven't looked back.

That a performance bike? You
get a chance to test-ride one
before you bought it?

cc

"cc" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Michael Cook wrote:
>> I'm new to this, and I don't know what the different type of pedals,
>> cleats and shoes are. Certain shoes will only accept certain cleats. (I
>> hope I am explaining this right)
>>
>> Anyway, I got some entry level shoes that "accepts SPD-style cleats
>> (Shimano SPD, Time ATAC, Eggbeater, etc)" . I ordered a bike, which I
>> have not received yet, but the pedal description says "Wellgo double
>> sided clipless with cleats and reflectors".
>>
>> My question, are these compatible? If not, am I better off returning my
>> unused shoes and get some that are compatible? OR Get different pedals?
>>

> Yes. They'll probably be SPD-style, compatible with Shimano SPD cleats.
>
> I personally don't care for SPD-style cleats, but many here like them
> fine. Also, don't think that because you don't like the Wellgo pedals,
> that you'll hate all SPDs. They vary. . or so I hear. I switched to
> eggbeater candies and haven't looked back.
>
> That a performance bike? You get a chance to test-ride one before you
> bought it?
>
> cc

performance bike? uhhh, dunno really. I didn't want to spend a great deal of
money for the better bikes, Specialized, Gary Fisher, etc.

I got a Schwinn Rocket Pro. From what I hear, the frame should be good
enough for me and the components are decent.

Eggbeaters was on the list for compatability for the Shimano SPD, is that
the same set up you have?

Michael Cook wrote:
> "cc" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Michael Cook wrote:
>>> I'm new to this, and I don't know what the different type of pedals,
>>> cleats and shoes are. Certain shoes will only accept certain cleats. (I
>>> hope I am explaining this right)
>>>
>>> Anyway, I got some entry level shoes that "accepts SPD-style cleats
>>> (Shimano SPD, Time ATAC, Eggbeater, etc)" . I ordered a bike, which I
>>> have not received yet, but the pedal description says "Wellgo double
>>> sided clipless with cleats and reflectors".
>>>
>>> My question, are these compatible? If not, am I better off returning my
>>> unused shoes and get some that are compatible? OR Get different pedals?
>>>

>> Yes. They'll probably be SPD-style, compatible with Shimano SPD cleats.
>>
>> I personally don't care for SPD-style cleats, but many here like them
>> fine. Also, don't think that because you don't like the Wellgo pedals,
>> that you'll hate all SPDs. They vary. . or so I hear. I switched to
>> eggbeater candies and haven't looked back.
>>
>> That a performance bike? You get a chance to test-ride one before you
>> bought it?
>>
>> cc

> performance bike? uhhh, dunno really. I didn't want to spend a great deal of
> money for the better bikes, Specialized, Gary Fisher, etc.
>
> I got a Schwinn Rocket Pro. From what I hear, the frame should be good
> enough for me and the components are decent.
>
> Eggbeaters was on the list for compatability for the Shimano SPD, is that
> the same set up you have?

Eggbeaters and Sh!tmano use different cleats. Usually (and I use that
with caution), most MTB shoes fit the two hole cleats (SPD, CB
Eggbeaters/Candy, Time ATAC).

Personally, I find the the Crank Brothers cleats wear down too quickly.
SPD's don't hold my feet well. I use Time ATAC and have found them to
be sturdy (yet release when they need to) and the cleats last as long as
SPD.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"Michael Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> I'm new to this, and I don't know what the different type of pedals,
> cleats and shoes are. Certain shoes will only accept certain cleats. (I
> hope I am explaining this right)
>
> Anyway, I got some entry level shoes that "accepts SPD-style cleats
> (Shimano SPD, Time ATAC, Eggbeater, etc)" . I ordered a bike, which I
> have not received yet, but the pedal description says "Wellgo double sided
> clipless with cleats and reflectors".
>
> My question, are these compatible? If not, am I better off returning my
> unused shoes and get some that are compatible? OR Get different pedals?

I was new to SPD two years ago.
Now I really like them on the trail.
If I could make a suggestion it would be to adjust the
release to the setting that is easiest to unclip when you
first start out. It took me a month to figure that out and
I went down a lot because I couldn't get a foot loose.

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Michael Cook wrote:
>
>> "cc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Yes. They'll probably be SPD-style, compatible with Shimano SPD cleats.
>>>
>>> I personally don't care for SPD-style cleats, but many here like them
>>> fine. Also, don't think that because you don't like the Wellgo
>>> pedals, that you'll hate all SPDs. They vary. . or so I hear. I
>>> switched to eggbeater candies and haven't looked back.
>>>
>>> That a performance bike? You get a chance to test-ride one before you
>>> bought it?
>>>
>>> cc

>> performance bike? uhhh, dunno really. I didn't want to spend a great
>> deal of money for the better bikes, Specialized, Gary Fisher, etc.
>>
>> I got a Schwinn Rocket Pro. From what I hear, the frame should be
>> good enough for me and the components are decent.
>>
>> Eggbeaters was on the list for compatability for the Shimano SPD, is
>> that the same set up you have?
>>

> Eggbeaters and Sh!tmano use different cleats. Usually (and I use that
> with caution), most MTB shoes fit the two hole cleats (SPD, CB
> Eggbeaters/Candy, Time ATAC).
>
> Personally, I find the the Crank Brothers cleats wear down too quickly.
> SPD's don't hold my feet well. I use Time ATAC and have found them to
> be sturdy (yet release when they need to) and the cleats last as long as
> SPD.

Hmm. I've heard that here and
there too, but it hasn't been
my experience. Maybe I
tolerate a little more play,
but I've only replaced my
cleats once. Totally worth it
for how much I dig em.

Michael Cook wrote:
> "cc" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>Michael Cook wrote:
>>
>>>I'm new to this, and I don't know what the different type of pedals,
>>>cleats and shoes are. Certain shoes will only accept certain cleats. (I
>>>hope I am explaining this right)
>>>
>>>Anyway, I got some entry level shoes that "accepts SPD-style cleats
>>>(Shimano SPD, Time ATAC, Eggbeater, etc)" . I ordered a bike, which I
>>>have not received yet, but the pedal description says "Wellgo double
>>>sided clipless with cleats and reflectors".
>>>
>>>My question, are these compatible? If not, am I better off returning my
>>>unused shoes and get some that are compatible? OR Get different pedals?
>>>

>>Yes. They'll probably be SPD-style, compatible with Shimano SPD cleats.
>>
>>I personally don't care for SPD-style cleats, but many here like them
>>fine. Also, don't think that because you don't like the Wellgo pedals,
>>that you'll hate all SPDs. They vary. . or so I hear. I switched to
>>eggbeater candies and haven't looked back.
>>
>>That a performance bike? You get a chance to test-ride one before you
>>bought it?
>>
>>cc

> performance bike? uhhh, dunno really. I didn't want to spend a great deal of
> money for the better bikes, Specialized, Gary Fisher, etc.

n/m. I meant peformance, as in
the bike/parts retailer. They
do a lot of online business
and often use wellgo pedals . ..

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Michael Cook wrote:
>
>> "cc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Yes. They'll probably be SPD-style, compatible with Shimano SPD cleats.
>>>
>>> I personally don't care for SPD-style cleats, but many here like them
>>> fine. Also, don't think that because you don't like the Wellgo
>>> pedals, that you'll hate all SPDs. They vary. . or so I hear. I
>>> switched to eggbeater candies and haven't looked back.
>>>
>>> That a performance bike? You get a chance to test-ride one before you
>>> bought it?
>>>
>>> cc

>> performance bike? uhhh, dunno really. I didn't want to spend a great
>> deal of money for the better bikes, Specialized, Gary Fisher, etc.
>>
>> I got a Schwinn Rocket Pro. From what I hear, the frame should be
>> good enough for me and the components are decent.
>>
>> Eggbeaters was on the list for compatability for the Shimano SPD, is
>> that the same set up you have?
>>

> Eggbeaters and Sh!tmano use different cleats. Usually (and I use that
> with caution), most MTB shoes fit the two hole cleats (SPD, CB
> Eggbeaters/Candy, Time ATAC).
>
> Personally, I find the the Crank Brothers cleats wear down too quickly.
> SPD's don't hold my feet well. I use Time ATAC and have found them to
> be sturdy (yet release when they need to) and the cleats last as long as
> SPD.

Another vote for Time ATACs. There's plenty of peals out there are are
fine, but I like the ATACs the best for durability and no maintenance.

Matt

Michael Cook wrote:
> I'm new to this, and I don't know what the different type of pedals, cleats
> and shoes are.

I don't see how you guys ride around with those things.

JD

JD wrote:
> Michael Cook wrote:
>
>>I'm new to this, and I don't know what the different type of pedals, cleats
>>and shoes are.

> I don't see how you guys ride around with those things.

very efficiently. maybe you
should get off your high horse
and try some.

cc wrote:
> JD wrote:
>> Michael Cook wrote:
>>
>>> I'm new to this, and I don't know what the different type of pedals,
>>> cleats
>>> and shoes are.

>> I don't see how you guys ride around with those things.
>>

> very efficiently. maybe you should get off your high horse and try some.

He does quite well without them but I would like to know if he did try
them at some point in time.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> cc wrote:
> > JD wrote:

> >> I don't see how you guys ride around with those things.
> >>

> > very efficiently. maybe you should get off your high horse and try some.

Wow, you're so *efficient*. I'll never be as good of a mountain biker
as you without clipless pedals.

> He does quite well without them but I would like to know if he did try
> them at some point in time.

Nope. No need to.

JD

JD wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>> cc wrote:

>>> very efficiently. maybe you should get off your high horse and try some.

> Wow, you're so *efficient*. I'll never be as good of a mountain biker
> as you without clipless pedals.

Go beat your chest in front of a mirror; it appears you're enjoying it
the most. My comment said nothing of your ability, not to mention mine
compared to yours.

>> He does quite well without them but I would like to know if he did try
>> them at some point in time.

> Nope. No need to.

We didn't "need" electricity when we had candles either, but we're doing
just fine with it . . but your personality is a little more set in the
neanderthal way of thinking than most, to say the least, so it makes
sense that you should reject the possibility of change being a good
thing in this case . .

"cc" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> JD wrote:
>> Ride-A-Lot wrote:

>> Wow, you're so *efficient*. I'll never be as good of a mountain biker
>> as you without clipless pedals.

> Go beat your chest in front of a mirror; it appears you're enjoying it the
> most. My comment said nothing of your ability, not to mention mine
> compared to yours.
>

>>> He does quite well without them but I would like to know if he did try
>>> them at some point in time.

>> Nope. No need to.

> We didn't "need" electricity when we had candles either, but we're doing
> just fine with it . . but your personality is a little more set in the
> neanderthal way of thinking than most, to say the least, so it makes sense
> that you should reject the possibility of change being a good thing in
> this case . .

It's a rare day when I see JD so thoroughly stomped.

Wow.

cc wrote:
> JD wrote:
> > Ride-A-Lot wrote:

> > Wow, you're so *efficient*. I'll never be as good of a mountain biker
> > as you without clipless pedals.

> Go beat your chest in front of a mirror; it appears you're enjoying it
> the most. My comment said nothing of your ability, not to mention mine
> compared to yours.

Yeah, it's pretty tough having a chest to beat. Let's see your
birdbreast chest, college boy. Your ability would never compare, so
that was a moot point.

> >> He does quite well without them but I would like to know if he did try
> >> them at some point in time.

> > Nope. No need to.

> We didn't "need" electricity when we had candles either, but we're doing
> just fine with it . . but your personality is a little more set in the
> neanderthal way of thinking than most, to say the least, so it makes
> sense that you should reject the possibility of change being a good
> thing in this case . .

I bet if the world as you know it ended tomoirrow, you'd be wishing for
those candles. Get in your car and go to work now, rat racst.

JD

JD wrote:
> cc wrote:
>
>>JD wrote:

>>>Wow, you're so *efficient*. I'll never be as good of a mountain biker
>>>as you without clipless pedals.

>>Go beat your chest in front of a mirror; it appears you're enjoying it
>>the most. My comment said nothing of your ability, not to mention mine
>>compared to yours.

> Yeah, it's pretty tough having a chest to beat. Let's see your
> birdbreast chest, college boy. Your ability would never compare, so
> that was a moot point.

You look really stupid (and
insecure) when you put people
down with no basis for doing
so. Again, I hope it makes you
feel better.

>>>Nope. No need to.

>>We didn't "need" electricity when we had candles either, but we're doing
>>just fine with it . . but your personality is a little more set in the
>>neanderthal way of thinking than most, to say the least, so it makes
>>sense that you should reject the possibility of change being a good
>>thing in this case . .

> I bet if the world as you know it ended tomoirrow, you'd be wishing for
> those candles. Get in your car and go to work now, rat racst.

I don't see how that's at all
relevant. I do own a
flashlight. I don't own
retrogrouch toe-clips. I don't
own a car, and I enjoy my work
very much. How about you?
Bitter much?

cc

cc wrote:
> JD wrote:
> > cc wrote:

> >>Go beat your chest in front of a mirror; it appears you're enjoying it
> >>the most. My comment said nothing of your ability, not to mention mine
> >>compared to yours.

> > Yeah, it's pretty tough having a chest to beat. Let's see your
> > birdbreast chest, college boy. Your ability would never compare, so
> > that was a moot point.
> >

> You look really stupid (and
> insecure) when you put people
> down with no basis for doing
> so. Again, I hope it makes you
> feel better.

Ok, birdie. You know it all.

> >>We didn't "need" electricity when we had candles either, but we're doing
> >>just fine with it . . but your personality is a little more set in the
> >>neanderthal way of thinking than most, to say the least, so it makes
> >>sense that you should reject the possibility of change being a good
> >>thing in this case . .

> > I bet if the world as you know it ended tomoirrow, you'd be wishing for
> > those candles. Get in your car and go to work now, rat racst.
> >

> I don't see how that's at all
> relevant. I do own a
> flashlight. I don't own
> retrogrouch toe-clips. I don't
> own a car, and I enjoy my work
> very much. How about you?
> Bitter much?

Red Hook ESB, you are what you drink.

JD

> cc wrote:
>> JD wrote:

>> > Wow, you're so *efficient*. I'll never be as good of a mountain biker
>> > as you without clipless pedals.

>> Go beat your chest in front of a mirror; it appears you're enjoying it
>> the most. My comment said nothing of your ability, not to mention mine
>> compared to yours.

> Yeah, it's pretty tough having a chest to beat. Let's see your
> birdbreast chest, college boy. Your ability would never compare, so
> that was a moot point.

>> > Nope. No need to.

>> We didn't "need" electricity when we had candles either, but we're doing
>> just fine with it . . but your personality is a little more set in the
>> neanderthal way of thinking than most, to say the least, so it makes
>> sense that you should reject the possibility of change being a good
>> thing in this case . .

> I bet if the world as you know it ended tomoirrow, you'd be wishing for
> those candles. Get in your car and go to work now, rat racst.
>
> JD

ha, and you're not? you make zero sense sometimes....

<snip same, lame tired JustaDick schtick>

C'mon Jer, can't your rattled ol' brain do any better than this....we've
seen it. And it's played out....

yes, I agree. You're bot-like response is very pathetic...

Let me know when you get some original material Lenny....