Clipless pedal question

Gadolinium

Jul 7, 2007
Hey

I got given a set of clipless pedals by a friend. They are Shimano PD M535s. Whilst these are strictly mountian bike pedals would they work on road? I ride quite long distances and was wondering what the difference is between MTB and road pedals, and whether using MTB pedals on road would cause problems/be uncomfortable etc.

Im pretty reluctant to buy a new set of pedals, as they are quite pricey and i already have these knocking about.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Gadolinium said:
Hey

I got given a set of clipless pedals by a friend. They are Shimano PD M535s. Whilst these are strictly mountian bike pedals would they work on road? I ride quite long distances and was wondering what the difference is between MTB and road pedals, and whether using MTB pedals on road would cause problems/be uncomfortable etc.

Im pretty reluctant to buy a new set of pedals, as they are quite pricey and i already have these knocking about.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Too bad these are referred to as 'MTB' pedals when they are just 2 sided bike pedals. They will work fine on a road bike. Buy either a shoe that has rubber 'pontoons' to be able to walk around w/o damaging the cleats or shoes w/o them. Either way, they will be fine.

Will a cleat for "2 sided bike pedals" fit on a "minimalist cycling shoe without tread with look bolt pattern"?

For that is where the difference is. I started my gf on "2 sided cycling pedals" and "touring" shoes that took the SPD twin bolts, so she could walk into work etc after communting. Could have used "off road specific" shoes with a stiff sole and tread, but they still aren't as easy to walk in.

If you want to ride on "sealed roads" specifically, you'd want "sealed road specific shoes" with stiff sole and no tread to get the weight save of not having extra tread, but still being stiff and effiecent. Yeah you can use "off road specific" or "touring" shoes on the road, hell they just push on the pedals and make the cranks go around.

I think the bigger issue with "2 sided cycling pedals" is the type of shoe you would prefer to use. In the end the pedals and shoes all do the same job, they are just adapted differently.

I have a set of the 2 sided shimano pedals. Bought them for my mtb, and lately they've been on a tandem.

They work okay on the street. Personally, I don't care for the loose fit for road riding. Some side to side flex on the ball of your foot, not nearly as steady a platform as the campy pedals on my main road bike. But, they are rideable.

On the tandem, the two sides and quick insert come in handy for starting off, when you need to get in the pedal and pushing quickly. Just stamp your foot down, more often than not, it locks in.