Clipless Pedal Recommendations?

ElPerro

May 8, 2004
Well, after a year and 4,000 miles, I guess it's time to go to clipless pedals. The bike (2003 Lemond Buenos Aires) came with some sort of clipless pedals, which I replaced with flat pedals. I had never used clipless pedals and I was not comfortable with the idea, particularly given that I have to ride in New York City traffic and had not been on a bike in years. I've done pretty well with the flat pedals, and I'm still a little wary, but I understand that going to the clipless will result in a marked overall improvement.

In any case, what would you guys recommend? I need something that I can clip out of easily and quickly. I do have to do some riding in very heavy traffic, and stops, both planned and unplanned, can be frequent and sudden. Price is not an issue for this one.

Thanks....

After using an old pair of Look P396 for a year I just got the new Look Keo. I highly recommend them, they are very easy to get in and out and yet are some of the lightest you can find.
However because you are mostly doing city riding with probably a lot of clipping/unclipping and, may be, walking, you might be better served by using mountain bike shoes and pedals. In this case the Time ATAC pedals are very good.

ElPerro said:
Well, after a year and 4,000 miles, I guess it's time to go to clipless pedals. The bike (2003 Lemond Buenos Aires) came with some sort of clipless pedals, which I replaced with flat pedals. I had never used clipless pedals and I was not comfortable with the idea, particularly given that I have to ride in New York City traffic and had not been on a bike in years. I've done pretty well with the flat pedals, and I'm still a little wary, but I understand that going to the clipless will result in a marked overall improvement.

In any case, what would you guys recommend? I need something that I can clip out of easily and quickly. I do have to do some riding in very heavy traffic, and stops, both planned and unplanned, can be frequent and sudden. Price is not an issue for this one.

Thanks....
If you plan on walking around any with your bike shoes on, I would also suggest that you go with a mountain shoe and pedal.
As far as the type of pedal; I have found Speedplay pedals to be extremely quick to get in and out of. Another benefit of the speadplays is that because they have no spring, there is not the issue of breaking them in.

junkermeier said:
If you plan on walking around any with your bike shoes on, I would also suggest that you go with a mountain shoe and pedal.
As far as the type of pedal; I have found Speedplay pedals to be extremely quick to get in and out of. Another benefit of the speadplays is that because they have no spring, there is not the issue of breaking them in.

Walking is not an issue, my rides consist mostly of a 25 mile loop around the city, or loops around Central Park, during weekday evenings, and much longer weekend rides. Other than stops for water, etc., I rarely get off the bike. Most of the mileage does not involve traffic, but the spots that do are pretty intense. I've heard that some of these pedals can be difficult to get out of, and that's what I'm trying to avoid.

ElPerro said:
Walking is not an issue, my rides consist mostly of a 25 mile loop around the city, or loops around Central Park, during weekday evenings, and much longer weekend rides. Other than stops for water, etc., I rarely get off the bike. Most of the mileage does not involve traffic, but the spots that do are pretty intense. I've heard that some of these pedals can be difficult to get out of, and that's what I'm trying to avoid.

Then the Look Keo or Speedplay should work great.