clipless Pedal/Shoe combo!Is this worth buying?

Armenian

Aug 14, 2007
Since I just bought my 1st real bike Trek 1000 (love the bike more I ride it.I can't find any foults honestly.Just solid all around) I've been searching about clipless pedals and narrowed down to crank brothers for value (money is short)
If anyone has these pedals please let me know if its worth buying or suggest reasonable alternative. thank you
[font=&quot]Adidas El Moro Shoes w/ Crank Brothers Candy C Pedals [/font] $119.98

51124_md.jpg

I like crank candies, but I'm not familiar with that shoe.

Have you checked Performance, nashbar or the other sites that offer discounts on combos? Talked to your local?

If the shoe fits and suits your riding style, the price looks good.

Oruboris said:
I like crank candies, but I'm not familiar with that shoe.

Have you checked Performance, nashbar or the other sites that offer discounts on combos? Talked to your local?

If the shoe fits and suits your riding style, the price looks good.
Thanks Oruboris
How about the float on Candies?I can't find info on them

Float, as you probably know, is a mixed blessing: more float makes for a more comfy ride and less stress on your joints. But more float also means release from the pedal takes just a split second longer.

I think all crank bros pedals have either 15 or 20 degrees of float, depending on which cleat you put on which shoe.

You can start with the 15 degree set up to make learning to release easier, then switch them after you are more confidant.

But I haven't bothered: I've never had a release that I wasn't looking for, or any float related joint pain, so I've stayed at 15.

The release action is very simple, just move your heel away from the bike. Becomes second nature pretty quickly, but you'll still probably have a couple falls when you are learning, more from a moment of panic paralysis than actual inablilty to disconect.

All crank bros offer 4 sided entry. The candy can be ridden with a soft soled street shoe though its a little slippery. The mallet is a better choice for that or if you think you might want to disconect during a tough descent on a mtn bike.

But you can ride the candies without being clipped in, and I often do this for a few strokes when I'm taking off or coming to a stop sign. Normally, I kick out my left foot, leave the right attatched in those circumstances.

FYI if you're over 170lbs, you may not want to go with egg beaters. I've heard of experiances with them not holding, and releasing themselves.

Personally, I prefer the LOOK style pedals. Larger platform, various amounts of float (9, 4, or none). You can easily find a cheap pair with shoes for ~$120

lbraasch said:
FYI if you're over 170lbs, you may not want to go with egg beaters. I've heard of experiances with them not holding, and releasing themselves.

Personally, I prefer the LOOK style pedals. Larger platform, various amounts of float (9, 4, or none). You can easily find a cheap pair with shoes for ~$120
look style road only pedals (requiring road only shoes) are good...for racers or people who will only be on the road, on their bike, and dont really desire to walk more than a few feet here or there.

Mountain pedals and shoes, however not as efficient or as big of platform as road pedals, are very walkable and being not as stiff make them a bit more comfortable as well. Im using mountain pedals/shoes on my road bike and enjoy them. Plus i had them already couldnt afford anything else :)

what your looking at looks like a good choice. I dont know anything about the adidas shoes however. Im using Pearl Izumi Vagabond M3 shoes and they are very comfy and stiff enough to transfer the power i have :) my pedals are shimano M520 together i spent about $90 on the two, purchased seperately

Guys thanks for replying.My number 1 concern is my right knee.I always had problems with it after a motorcycle accident and years of physical theropy allowed me to ride a bike!What a joy it is however I read about the pedals possible hurting the knee hence my concern about some degree of movement (float)
I might just shell out more money just to buy the right pedals but I am having trouble deciding. I don't what or like the idea eggbeaters since small area of pressure does not appeal to me and I like bigger platform.Weight is not important.I am not racing!:) Thanks guys.

mongooseboy said:
look style road only pedals (requiring road only shoes) are good...for racers or people who will only be on the road, on their bike, and dont really desire to walk more than a few feet here or there.
On the contrary. Have you tried walking in road shoes extended distances? It's very much possible, just a different feeling than if the shoes had flex. I've walked 3 miles to a bus stop in road shoes, after getting a flat, and not having a patch kit or pump with me.

All road shoes have a solid sole. If you're concerned about being able to walk around, performance makes a dual sided pedal with a normal sized platform, and spd clip. Wear normal shoes when you want to walk around, and wear riding shoes when you want to only ride.

Due to the stiffness of the sole of all bike shoes, the size of the pedal is pretty meaningless UNLESS you want to ride unclipped. That's the biggest reason I've stayed with the slightly heavier candies instead of eggbeaters.

With a mtn. shoe and spd type cleat, the cleat will sit deep enough into the sole of the shoe that when you walk, you do it on the sole, not the cleat. If you also undo the topmost fastener for a little heal slip, and its not bad at all.