Clipless Pedal Technique?

san_gabriel

Jul 24, 2006
I've been using Look clipless pedals for six months and I'm way past the "panic at each red light" phase, but I still sometimes miss my first attempt to clip back in when the light turns green. The balance of the pedals make them hang vertical, so my method is to drag my toe to level the pedals and then clip in when they're horizontal, but sometimes my foot slides forward and I fail to lock the cleat into the pedal. I've never gotten any advice about clipping technique, but I've seen cyclists confidently clip in without ever looking down at their feet, so I know I'm missing something. Can any of you experts share your techniques?

I put my bike in a trainer and clipped in and clipped out repeatedly. Soon muscle memory will take over and it becomes natural.

san_gabriel said:
I've been using Look clipless pedals for six months and I'm way past the "panic at each red light" phase, but I still sometimes miss my first attempt to clip back in when the light turns green. The balance of the pedals make them hang vertical, so my method is to drag my toe to level the pedals and then clip in when they're horizontal, but sometimes my foot slides forward and I fail to lock the cleat into the pedal. I've never gotten any advice about clipping technique, but I've seen cyclists confidently clip in without ever looking down at their feet, so I know I'm missing something. Can any of you experts share your techniques?
After awhile, clipping in will be second nature. I've been riding clipless for awhile, and even I look down sometimes while I'm clipping in.

san_gabriel said:
... so my method is to drag my toe to level the pedals and then clip in when they're horizontal, ....
Yep, you're going about this the right way. With look type pedals you need to catch the tip of the pedal to flip the pedal horizontally and then press down to engage the cleat. It's sort of a scuff and press motion which it sounds like you're doing. Just keep practicing and practice without looking and it will become second nature in time. For quick starts like crits you learn to either get in real fast or pedal a couple of revolutions without being clipped in and then engage your cleats. Back in the toe clip days that was standard procedure at the start of a criterium.

You're probably trying to rush the clip in to get through the light. As stated, you can always pedal sans clip until you get in. Keep at it, it's second nature after awhile. Another way to practice is to clip out during a ride and get in. Since you are riding along you won't feel rushed and you can gain the proper technique.

It just takes time. The more you practice, the faster and smoother it will become. It sounds like you're going about it the right way, just keep on clippin'.