Clipless Pedal Woes

Baelwulfe

Guest
Need some help here, I just started mountain biking about a month ago and recently purchased some
welgo 94A pedals. I been riding on them for about 2 weeks now. I'm fairly proficient at twisting
out, however once in a while (more common lately) when I try to clip out its like I'm glued in. The
other day I went to twist out I had my foot at almost a 45 degree angle and was still clicked in. Is
there something wrong with my pedals oe me?

Thanks for any help RH

"Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:[email protected]...

In addition to checking the cleats, checkthe adjustment on the pedals and perhaps oil the moving
parts. Pedals also have to be maintained. What kind of riding have you been doing? If you have been
riding in the rain or playing in the mud, then they can get "sticky"

Hearing that you can move 70 degrees and still be stuck makes me think it is either the cleats or a
QA problem on the pedals.

-Dave

Baelwulfe wrote: <Clipless woes snipped>

I recently made the jump myself (Shimaio clipless) and I'd had similar problems. Although I found
that they where being clogged up with mud/sand which appears to be a slight flaw..

I've no idea if you can adjust the tension in your clipless pedals but I found loosing them to the
point where their is hardly any resitance when "Clipping out" had made a big diffirence..

Gyp

Also make sure your cleats are mounted in your shoes properly. I did a dumb thing with my first pair
of Ritchey's and mounted the cleat in the wrong direction (instructions were crappy, loosely
translated Taiwanese, and did not really say which way they should point) and I was in a rush to try
them out. Man I had some great falls for the first little bit but then I figured that I had them ass
backwards and changed them. No problems after that and shortly thereafter, I started tightening the
tension to get the right feel for me. I am now running Crank Bros eggbeaters and love them. You can
click in from any direction and never have any trouble getting back out. Good luck. "Gyp"

Bernie Brown wrote:
> Also make sure your cleats are mounted in your shoes properly. I did a dumb thing with my first
> pair of Ritchey's and mounted the cleat in the wrong direction (instructions were crappy,
> loosely translated Taiwanese, and did not really say which way they should point) and I was in a
> rush to try them out. Man I had some great falls for the first little bit but then I figured
> that I had them ass backwards and changed them. No problems after that and shortly thereafter, I
> started tightening the tension to get the right feel for me. I am now running Crank Bros
> eggbeaters and love them. You can click in from any direction and never have any trouble getting
> back out. Good luck.

Fortunatly my local bike shop (where I bought them) gave me a good intro into the different types
and advice for the first timer (Which I must admit I ignored for the first few bumps).

Although these are my first pair and I didn't pay a packet for them one of the reasons I went for
the Shimano SPD clippless is that since they only clip out with a sideways movement I can use them
to bunny over obstacles. Whilst I'm no expert at this and havn't been sucessful offroad I keep
practicing and no doubt it will come in handy at some point <Chuckle>

Gyp

All good suggestions!

Once you figure out the problem, and you still feel a little "clipped-in" I'd loosen those suckers
as far as they'll go. My 1st experience with clips was ugly! The shop and the guys I rode with
should have suggested loosening them all the way and then gradually tightening them up. Getting out
on purpose is one thing getting out in a panic is something totally different. Once my riding got
more agressive it was only natural to snug them up a bit.