Clipless pedals and big toe pain...

FatRoadie

Feb 8, 2003
I wanted to post this and see if anyone could help me.

While riding I notice a recurring problem with my big toe.... On the longer rides (30 or more miles) My left big toe goes to sleep... Ive tried adjusting the cleats to different positions, tightening the shoe while riding, and even increasing the amount of pre ride stretching...

Only injuries I have suffered to this leg were a fractured ankle during a training jump into DZ Mike North in Graffenwoehr Germany...while I was in the military...

Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated...

Bruce

hmmm - I was thinking maybe your shoes are too tight?? - but you stated you've tried tightening them...

Maybe your shoes just aren't right for your feet? I mean, i've raced mountain bikes for a few years (a few years ago) and recently started road-biking...so when I was buying shoes, I tried on 7 pairs - all of which would have "done the job" - but the last pair I tried just seemed to fit my feet like they're made for me. Ya know what I mean? I even like the road shoes better than my mountain shoes now.

Anyway, maybe there's a way your local bike shop might help you find better shoes for your feet? :)

Good luck

Originally posted by FatRoadie
I wanted to post this and see if anyone could help me.

While riding I notice a recurring problem with my big toe.... On the longer rides (30 or more miles) My left big toe goes to sleep... Ive tried adjusting the cleats to different positions, tightening the shoe while riding, and even increasing the amount of pre ride stretching...

Only injuries I have suffered to this leg were a fractured ankle during a training jump into DZ Mike North in Graffenwoehr Germany...while I was in the military...

Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated...

Bruce

As SMAX mentioned your shoes may be too tight. Most people have a artery which runs down the top of their foot and is quite superficial. Sometimes certain shoes (even when they don't feel TOO tight) can squash this artery enough so that all the blood doesn't get through.

Another reason may be neurological. You may have a nerve being compressed somewhere from your brain to your toes. This however I would suggest is less likely as it only affects one toe. The nerve compression may also be from tight shoes.

Does this happen any other time. Sleeping, running, at work etc?

Hope this helps.
Malcolm.

Originally posted by cabbage74
As SMAX mentioned your shoes may be too tight. Most people have a artery which runs down the top of their foot and is quite superficial. Sometimes certain shoes (even when they don't feel TOO tight) can squash this artery enough so that all the blood doesn't get through.

Another reason may be neurological. You may have a nerve being compressed somewhere from your brain to your toes. This however I would suggest is less likely as it only affects one toe. The nerve compression may also be from tight shoes.

Does this happen any other time. Sleeping, running, at work etc?

Hope this helps.
Malcolm.

Thanks for the input guys. This problem doesnt happen any other time except for when riding, and noticed recently although that my shoes are from the same company when using my MTB shoes, the problem doesnt happen. Im thinking that the problem may indeed be within my road shoes and either arterial (dorsalis pedis) compression due to the shoe beind too tight, or some sort of nerve being pinched...

Like a biscuithead my first instinct when Im riding is to tighten the shoes...however, Im not sure if this is true or not, but dont your feet swell while riding long rides? May not be the best fix...for the problem at hand...

Thanks very much...

Bruce