Clipless pedals and the world's stupidest man

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Myspareidentity, Aug 17, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I just picked up my frst set of clipless pedals. the guy in the LBS recommended
    some Shimano SPD pedals (pd-a515) and said all the SPD cleats were
    interchangeable.

    Now, I've got home and for the life of me cannot see how the cleats he sold me
    (sm-sh71) fit into the above pedals.

    Any advice? or am I the world's stupidest man?

    thanks

    Tags:

  2. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "Myspareidentity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just picked up my frst set of clipless pedals. the guy in the LBS

    recommended
    > some Shimano SPD pedals (pd-a515) and said all the SPD cleats were
    > interchangeable.
    >
    > Now, I've got home and for the life of me cannot see how the cleats he

    sold me
    > (sm-sh71) fit into the above pedals.
    >
    > Any advice? or am I the world's stupidest man?

    Not you, but your LBS guy is. Your a515 pedals take SH51 or SH55
    (multi-release) cleats, not sh71.

    See

    http://www.settlecycles.co.uk/BESPOKE/SHIMANO/pd02/PD-A515.htm?pid=1669

    The a515s should come with a pair of SH51 in the box - if not, your lbs has
    taken them out and is ripping you off. Settle have them for 27 quid
    including cleats, SJSC 29 quid including cleats.

    (I've seen a515 pedals in their box in settle - I used the cleats in one to
    check what I needed :), and sjsc mention it in their ad
    http://www.sjscycles.com/store/item1445.htm )

    (I'd get double sided though...)

    cheers,
    clive

  3. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    Myspareidentity wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just picked up my frst set of clipless pedals. the guy in the LBS recommended
    > some Shimano SPD pedals (pd-a515) and said all the SPD cleats were
    > interchangeable.
    >

    > Now, I've got home and for the life of me cannot see how the cleats he sold me
    > (sm-sh71) fit into the above pedals.
    >
    > Any advice? or am I the world's stupidest man?
    >

    > thanks

    You have the correct stuff. I think you may be getting confused. The
    outer parts are just to allow you to walk in the shoes. The middle bit
    goes pointy bit forward and clips into the pedal.
    I had these for a few years and they worked fine. One hint though is
    that as you have a metal-metal interface between the cleat & the pedal
    they do start squeking after a while but a drop of oil on the contact
    points cures that. HTH

    Stan Cox

  4. >
    >Not you, but your LBS guy is. Your a515 pedals take SH51 or SH55
    >(multi-release) cleats, not sh71.

    Hmm, definitely no cleats in the box with the pedals.

    As a newbie I was confused as I got some Nike shoes with seemingly far too many
    holes in the bottom.

    After an hour of pratting around I "think " I've attached the cleats the guy
    sold me (the 71s) to the shoes in the right holes.

    They seem to be pretty much the same as the 51s apart from the rubber surround
    which I guess protects them when you walk.

    Am I safe to go out as a clpless newbie, or shall I go and get the 51s I should
    have got in the box and swap them all over?

    Thanks

  5. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "Myspareidentity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > >Not you, but your LBS guy is. Your a515 pedals take SH51 or SH55
    > >(multi-release) cleats, not sh71.
    > >

    > Hmm, definitely no cleats in the box with the pedals.

    How much did you pay for the pedals + cleats?

    > They seem to be pretty much the same as the 51s apart from the rubber

    surround
    > which I guess protects them when you walk.

    Yes, the 51s are for use in shoes with a sole which performs this function,
    so don't come with this extra bit.

    > Am I safe to go out as a clpless newbie, or shall I go and get the 51s I

    should
    > have got in the box and swap them all over?

    I'd try them while stationary a few times to see if they work. They do look
    slightly different, but you can get away with a certain amount of that. Have
    a look at the big pictures on SJSC to see what there is.

    (note : don't test alignment while the screws are loose - when you pull out
    it will all go horribly wrong!)

    cheers,
    clive

  6. >
    >How much did you pay for the pedals + cleats?

    I think the pedals were about £30 and the cleats £13. No instructions or cleats
    in the box, so maybe he ripped me off.

    I've tried it stationary and it seems okay. It seems to need a lot of force to
    twist my feet out, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

    Now I need to find a nice quiet road. Maybe one with somewhere soft to fall
    over onto :)

    Many thanks for the help

  7. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    [email protected] (Myspareidentity) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I've tried it stationary and it seems okay. It seems to need a lot of
    > force to twist my feet out, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

    There should be some allen-headed screws that you can loosen off on the
    pedals to ease off the release tension.

    Graeme

  8. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>,
    Myspareidentity ('[email protected]') wrote:

    >>Not you, but your LBS guy is. Your a515 pedals take SH51 or SH55
    >>(multi-release) cleats, not sh71.
    >>

    > Hmm, definitely no cleats in the box with the pedals.
    >
    > As a newbie I was confused as I got some Nike shoes with seemingly far
    > too many holes in the bottom.

    OK, let's start to clear some of the undergrowth.

    There are more than one kind of SPDs. There are the original SPD pedals,
    where the cleat is somewhat like an equal-armed cross with one arm
    somewhat pointed; this comes in two versions, an MTB version and a road
    version. In practice you can use the MTB cleats with the road pedals
    and vice versa (although the MTB cleats are supposed to unclip in more
    directions, but frankly I use both and have never noticed any
    difference). These cleats attach with two bolts which are side by side
    across the cleat. There are a number of clones of this design, and in
    my experience the clone cleats work fine with the Shimano pedals and
    vice versa.

    Then there's SPD-R. These cleats are roughly diamond shaped and a lot
    bigger than SPD cleats. They have two bolts one behind the other. They
    are not even a little bit compatible with SPD. As far as I know there
    are no clones and you can only get these from Shimano.

    Then there are Look, Time and Speedplay cleats, each of which are
    different again and with different bolt hole patterns.

    Your shoes probably have bolt holes for several different types of
    cleats.

    Wannabe a Web designer?
    <URL:http://userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/97dec/19971206.html>

  9. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>,
    Myspareidentity ('[email protected]') wrote:

    >>How much did you pay for the pedals + cleats?

    > I think the pedals were about £30 and the cleats £13. No instructions
    > or cleats in the box, so maybe he ripped me off.
    >
    > I've tried it stationary and it seems okay. It seems to need a lot of
    > force to twist my feet out, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

    If they're SPD, there's a screw on the pedal to adjust the release
    tension. Set it to minimum to start with. And make sure your cleats are
    very tightly attached to your shoes, because if the cleats get loose
    you're stuffed.

    ;; may contain traces of nuts, bolts or washers.

  10. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    > in message <[email protected]>,
    > Myspareidentity ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >

    > >>Not you, but your LBS guy is. Your a515 pedals take SH51 or SH55
    > >>(multi-release) cleats, not sh71.
    > >>

    > > Hmm, definitely no cleats in the box with the pedals.
    > >
    > > As a newbie I was confused as I got some Nike shoes with seemingly far
    > > too many holes in the bottom.

    > OK, let's start to clear some of the undergrowth.
    >
    > There are more than one kind of SPDs. There are the original SPD pedals,
    > where the cleat is somewhat like an equal-armed cross with one arm
    > somewhat pointed; this comes in two versions, an MTB version and a road
    > version. In practice you can use the MTB cleats with the road pedals
    > and vice versa (although the MTB cleats are supposed to unclip in more
    > directions, but frankly I use both and have never noticed any
    > difference). These cleats attach with two bolts which are side by side
    > across the cleat. There are a number of clones of this design, and in
    > my experience the clone cleats work fine with the Shimano pedals and
    > vice versa.

    Just to add a bit more undergrowth back in, there is in fact more than one
    sort of the SPD cleat you mention. SH51 is the normal single release one,
    SH55 is the multirelease one you describe as being the MTB one which
    releases in more than one direction.
    SH52 is a bit different again (needed for M858 pedals), as are SH70 and SH71
    (supposed to be for some of the road pedals - this doesn't include the
    A515).
    In practice, you can probably use use the wrong cleat to an extent, but it's
    well to be aware if you're not following shimano's recommendations.

    cheers,
    clive

  11. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "Myspareidentity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > >How much did you pay for the pedals + cleats?

    > I think the pedals were about £30 and the cleats £13. No instructions or

    cleats
    > in the box, so maybe he ripped me off.

    Well, as I mentioned earlier, the equivalent from settle is 27 quid
    including the SH51 cleats (but no rubber bits - if you want them you'll
    still have needed the 71 cleats). I'd ask them for the cleats which should
    have come with it - having a spare set is always worth it.
    Pedals should come with instructions too - shimano are pretty good about
    this.

    cheers,
    clive

  12. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:00:45 GMT, Graeme <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > [email protected] (Myspareidentity) wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> I've tried it stationary and it seems okay. It seems to need a lot of
    >> force to twist my feet out, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
    >>

    > There should be some allen-headed screws that you can loosen off on the
    > pedals to ease off the release tension.
    >
    > Graeme

    One mistake I made setting up a pair once, was not tightening up one side
    of the pedal as much as the other.
    A short ride, followed by realising that I should have... bugger...
    crash! :)
    Don't suppose it matters if you're using single sided SPDs (are the A515
    the "touring bike" SPDs?).
    If you're taking your original set back to the shop (and it sounds like
    you should) I am selling a couple of pairs of SPD and compatible pedals on
    Ebay. If you want first refusal, email me for details.

    Chris.
    --
    |C|H|R|I|S|@|T|R|I|N|I|T|Y|W|I|L|L|S|.|C|O|M|
    Remove the bars to contact me

  13. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Myspareidentity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > >How much did you pay for the pedals + cleats?

    > I think the pedals were about £30 and the cleats £13. No instructions or

    cleats
    > in the box, so maybe he ripped me off.
    >
    > I've tried it stationary and it seems okay. It seems to need a lot of

    force to
    > twist my feet out, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
    >
    > Now I need to find a nice quiet road. Maybe one with somewhere soft to

    fall
    > over onto :)

    Not only were you ripped off but you would have been far better off with
    double sided M520 (which replaced the M515 pedals), 22 quid from:

    www.chainreactioncycles.com/viewproduct.asp?category=Pedals+Clipless&ModelID
    =3759

    The A515s are a bastard to get into (yes I've got some), and I say that with
    years of experience with many types of Shimano double sided and Look road
    pedals.
    I've NEVER had a pair of Shimano pedals that came without cleats.

    Pete (currently using M540's, M536's and A515's).

  14. Mark South

    Mark South Guest

    "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > The A515s are a bastard to get into (yes I've got some), and I say that with
    > years of experience with many types of Shimano double sided and Look road
    > pedals.

    I've got A515s on one of my bikes, and I've never had a problem getting into
    them[1]. The only problem might be if your shoes don't have round toes.

    [1] Getting out, yes, but that's another story.
    --
    Mark South, Super Genius: World Citizen, Net Denizen

  15. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Mark South" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    > > The A515s are a bastard to get into (yes I've got some), and I say that

    with
    > > years of experience with many types of Shimano double sided and Look

    road
    > > pedals.

    > I've got A515s on one of my bikes, and I've never had a problem getting

    into
    > them[1]. The only problem might be if your shoes don't have round toes.

    It's a relativity thing.
    I do next to nothing to engage the double sided spds, used to have to be a
    little pro-active to engage the Looks but find if I don't rotate the A515's
    the right way up and engage first time, 50% chance, then I lose the plot.
    This is irritating and distracting when pulling out from a junction e.g.
    I always eventually engage but could live without the eventually bit.
    And the OP is a newbie who could use all the help possible and seeing as
    double sided are no more expensive than single sided what's the point of
    struggling?
    (I bought the A515's as I thought they'd look better than mtb pedals on me
    new road bike, never again :).

    Pete